Student encouragement?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

tokyo512
New Recruit
New Recruit

Student encouragement?

Post by tokyo512 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:07 pm

Well, there is a certain section in my band that really needs a good push to realize how important they are to our field show/parade. We have tried many things, such as some pep talks, watching a few DCI/BOA vids, and a lot of other things, but it seems as if they are those people in band that are there because "there moms forced them to" or they "have nothing better to do". I'm trying to do as much as I can before I go to my director about this because I feel that student encouragement is my main priority as a drum major. Anyone have some good suggestions? :?:
Kenneth Alcazar
Marching Don
Drum Major

STEVIE805
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: Student encouragement?

Post by STEVIE805 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:01 pm

This problem has come up countless times for me. There are a couple different approaches that I have found successful.
1. Try to make them feel like a part of the band. This means make them feel like they are wanted there and that they are valued members. If they feel a sense of unity with their band, they are more likely to perform to the fullest.
2. Make them proud to be in band. Show them that the stereotypical "band geeks" aren't all that a marching band is about. (even if without them, it just wouldn't be band... :) ). But having pride in your band makes you really want to do well.

I don't know what you've tried but give these a go. Keep in mind, often times, someone in a leadership position might not be the best person to take care of it. Certain members will respond more to other friends in the band.

Hope this helps!