How's everyone doing with their guards for Fall 2009?

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

How's everyone doing with their guards for Fall 2009?

Post by tooweird » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:06 pm

Hey everyone! Since everyone's been talking about this fall on the marching band forum I thought i'd make a post here to see how everyone's doing with their street routines and field stuff! Hope everything is going well!

As for me, I have a little more to teach and fine tune with my girls! I am very excited for this coming season on the street for NCBA! I seriously can't wait! :yeah:
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Re: How's everyone doing with their guards for Fall 2009?

Post by oreocookis » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:11 pm

Ehh, were doing well, they learned the chor. for the first 3 songs of the field show, and just need to learn the last song which will be the hardest. We know most of the parade march but I have to finish the end of it and Im not sure what to have them do there....other than that today was the first day of school and they had MB after school so they were distracted, they "thought"they forgot the parade routine, but then remembered it when the band played the music.. err.. but so far so good. Just need to learn more and clean up til Cupertino... Our first parade is the Newark Days one 2 weeks from Saturday and its the longest about 2.5 miles. So gotta prepare for that. Hows everything for you? Whats your parade/f.s? When do I get to meet you? lol
Jennie M
American Eagles Marching Band Woodwind, Colorguard and Winter Guard Instructor
Fremont Unified After- school Elementary Band Teacher

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:00 pm

oreocookis wrote:Ehh, were doing well, they learned the chor. for the first 3 songs of the field show, and just need to learn the last song which will be the hardest. We know most of the parade march but I have to finish the end of it and Im not sure what to have them do there....other than that today was the first day of school and they had MB after school so they were distracted, they "thought"they forgot the parade routine, but then remembered it when the band played the music.. err.. but so far so good. Just need to learn more and clean up til Cupertino... Our first parade is the Newark Days one 2 weeks from Saturday and its the longest about 2.5 miles. So gotta prepare for that. Hows everything for you? Whats your parade/f.s? When do I get to meet you? lol
Sounds great! I am at the o let me generate a random number...like 5/9 of the way done with the parade choreo. I've had many bumps along the way but things are getting to where they need to be. Our first parade of the year is the San Francisco Italian Heritage Parade (Columbus Day), hopefully we'll get to see San Mateo there and see how they're doing. Our parade march is and has been kept under wraps :wink: I don't think it's been played on the street yet by any California high school band so it should be something. We will be at three reviews this year: santa cruz, foothill, and fairfield toc. :)
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:12 pm

Cool, we will be at both Foothill and Fairfield hopefully we can see each other there!
Jennie M

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:14 pm

We're moving along nicely with the routine. After one week of guard camp and 4 regular rehearsals we're already 2/3 done with the marching routine. Our first show isnt until mid Oct. so we're well ahead of schedule.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:31 pm

oreocookis wrote:Cool, we will be at both Foothill and Fairfield hopefully we can see each other there!
i hope so! i know that at toc we're usually one of the first bands out. so that would give me some time to step on the scene and meet everyone :)
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:32 pm

ErinF wrote:We're moving along nicely with the routine. After one week of guard camp and 4 regular rehearsals we're already 2/3 done with the marching routine. Our first show isnt until mid Oct. so we're well ahead of schedule.
very cool Erin! what is Vanden playing this fall? i don't think I've read up on any posts about vanden! you are definitely ahead of schedule. Since i'm still fairly new it takes awhile longer for me :D haha
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:18 am

Fall is going well for us. We had 7 at band camp, and then 9, but then 7 again. But they were all really strong and we finished the opener by the 2nd day, and it was pretty clean. Then, the first week of school, our guard DOUBLED in size, so now we have 14, but 11 of them are brand new. So we're backtracking a bit. Hopefully we'll be all caught up with all technique and opener next week, we're almost there. The kids are all GREAT though! They've chosen to add sectionals before every practice, and are working REALLY hard.
As for the march, well, I've conceded to the fact that we're a field band and are only doing one parade, so we're going to throw together a quick routine in a few weeks once people are more proficient.

It's going to be a great year though! All of my kids are so into it already and are totally hungry for success=DD This is our rebuilding year, so we can lay the foundation for the new program. I can't wait for a year or two.
The best part is, almost ALL of my newbies are freshmen!! And we have 3 strong leaders as seniors who are really taking charge of the program, and making it their own. :yeah: :bow:
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:20 pm

Ugh. It's hot in Sacramento! :wink:

Other than that, we have 16 members, and are close to picking up one more. The guard is a pretty even split between newbies and veterans. We have our opener and the second production finished work wise, ballad is almost done. Three more songs to go (don't ask, see!) and have the opener drill learned, and will be moving on to the second song this week when school starts.

Our first show is Oct. 10th... so we are looking really good! We added another member to our staff that is our movement tech, so there are good things in store for CKM. Uniforms are ordered... flags are almost done being painted... oh man. The list keeps getting longer in my head! :roll:

Sounds like every one had a great summer! I hope to catch some shows this year... but never get a chance to catch parade... I like to sleep in! Hehe.

Mark, I marched Columbus Day three times, and was an instructor for *ahem* a few years after that... that parade is LOOOOONNNNGGGG and hilly! Love that the reviewing stand was always in front of St.Peter and Paul... on a nice steep down hill. Is the reviewing stand still there?
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:02 pm

good to see all your guys guard coming along real well. too bad i wont be at competitions to watch them.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:02 pm

JenKozy wrote: Mark, I marched Columbus Day three times, and was an instructor for *ahem* a few years after that... that parade is LOOOOONNNNGGGG and hilly! Love that the reviewing stand was always in front of St.Peter and Paul... on a nice steep down hill. Is the reviewing stand still there?
I marched in it three times as a student, once with the band as an alum on the side, and so far an instructor for just one, this will be my second as an instructor. Yes the reviewing stand is still there in front of St. Peter and Paul Church! I don't like how the reviewing stand is on the opposite side of where band review stands usually are. It really trips me up. The parade is usually always hot, really long, and the blue angels are always flying overhead for fleet week :) one of my favorite parades :)
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

oreocookis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by oreocookis » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:22 pm

[quote="guardthepiccolo"]Fall is going well for us. We had 7 at band camp, and then 9, but then 7 again. But they were all really strong and we finished the opener by the 2nd day, and it was pretty clean. Then, the first week of school, our guard DOUBLED in size, so now we have 14, but 11 of them are brand new. So we're backtracking a bit. Hopefully we'll be all caught up with all technique and opener next week, we're almost there. The kids are all GREAT though! They've chosen to add sectionals before every practice, and are working

Wow I wish we could double in size like that! Actually most of last years girls came back.We lost one who moved to Evergreen Valley high, or Westmont( which if she moved there will do the same field show we did last year.....) Another girl moved to another Fremont school and a senior graduated ..so now We have 10 girls... and 6 are returning and the 4 new girls are doing really well.. Actually today in rehearsal they were doing really well.. and the Band director and I both told them at this time in the season we usually arent this far ahead. We know 3 songs of the chor. and need to learn 4th and next week we are learning the drill for song 3.. homecoming is early this year 10/2 and that will be their first performance.
Jennie M

ErinF
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ErinF » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:26 pm

Mark- Our march this year is Arromanches. Its a little weird writing work to this march since i performed to it when i was a sophomore and i still remember my routine! lol. Things are just moving really quickly with our routine this year for some reason. We have 20 members with only 6 being new girls and all of them spun in jr high which helps. I love all my new freshman. They're awesome!

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:00 pm

ErinF wrote:Mark- Our march this year is Arromanches. Its a little weird writing work to this march since i performed to it when i was a sophomore and i still remember my routine! lol. Things are just moving really quickly with our routine this year for some reason. We have 20 members with only 6 being new girls and all of them spun in jr high which helps. I love all my new freshman. They're awesome!
I like that march! yea i know you performed it in high school. I love watching that video :) i can't wait to see vanden!
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor