DCI Quarterfinals 2009-Partial Review

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

SMbooster07
New Recruit
New Recruit

DCI Quarterfinals 2009-Partial Review

Post by SMbooster07 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:32 pm

Let me start by saying that the stadium is gorgeous. However, the acoustics do seem extremely muddy! Music in the lower register seemed to get lost amidst everything. Front Ensemble balance was noticeably different from corps to corps. I will write my review starting with the top 6.

First off, the scores.

1 Blue Devils 97.950
2 Carolina Crown 96.100
3 Holy Name Cadets 96.050
4 The Cavaliers 95.850
5 Santa Clara Vanguard 95.500
6 Bluecoats 92.650
7 Phantom Regiment 90.700
8 Boston Crusaders 90.350
9 Blue Stars 89.950
10 Glassmen 87.750
11 Blue Knights 87.000
12 Troopers 86.050
------------
13 Colts 85.150
14 The Academy 83.900
15 Madison Scouts 83.500
16 Crossmen 81.900
17 Spirit 80.700
------------
18 Mandarins 79.650
19 Pacific Crest 79.050
20 Jersey Surf 78.550
21 Pioneer 75.750
22 Cascades 74.950

Blue Devils
Program: "1930"

The show started off with some vintage radio clips. A lone guard member stood on the 30 (clever nuance) yard line and seemed to "take us back in time" as the drumline approached the 30 with a cadence. The solos were magnificent, and the opening impact was just phenomenal. "Happy Days" was a true highlight of the night. I appreciate the design behind this show. Not many people seem to understand the concept. The chairs add another dimension to the field. The front ensemble was outstanding. Best I've ever heard. The "Rhapsody" segment really got the crowd going. I loved the closer flag! A big fan on Piet Mondrian's art. The guard performs magnificently. They dance, they spin, they act, they toss, they do acrobatics. Whatever BD's guard does, it's better. And they do it better. And they extend beyond equipment work. This show is it. It is everything. Brilliant design with nearly flawless execution.

Carolina Crown
Program: "The Grass is Always Greener"

First off, I love the uniforms. They work well with the theme. Carolina Crown's show is without a doubt, the most demanding of the bunch. However, that's it. To me, they do brilliant things almost senselessly. Rifle tosses left and right. None of them having any relevance to what's happening. Their pit was overwhelming from an acoustics standpoint. To add on top of that, they played music that was distracting and didn't in any way compliment the brass. Keyboard runs, and chromatic patterns can be impressive, sure. However, how musical is that? The way Crown spins flags is also impressive. Some ideas make sense, but it does seem like a every section is performing their own show. That is my biggest rant about Crown. Great things. Executed well. But make no sense at all. That being said, I loved Puck! One of my favorite moments of the night. The screaming sopranos at the end of Puck made me stand in approval.

Holy Name Cadets
Program: "West Side Story: Resolution and Conflict"

Let me start by saying that I don't like the music of "West Side Story." Period. However, HNC was on fire! Their balance was remarkable, top to bottom. I think their percussion section will hold them back. There was tons of dirt, especially with their tenors. I absolutely love their ending. The high velocity drill was truly mesmerizing. Extremely impressive. If they can clean up even a bit, I think they will pass Crown immediately.

The Cavaliers
Program: "The Great Divide"

Wow! Extremely impressive brass sound from the Cavaliers! Best I've ever heard them. Their guard was on fire. I loved all the sound effects from the pit. The echo effects made me smile. Visually, their drill was easily the most appealing. Great job Michael Gaines. However, I don't understand why their impacts never truly "give it up to the crowd." I believe it's a fault on the design team. We're here, we're ready, now show us you kick ass! The Cavaliers have always seemed very reserved. However, I did enjoy their program very much. Loved the ending with the guard member "on top".

Santa Clara Vanguard
Program: "Ballet for Martha"

Gorgeous dresses. Nice uniforms. Holy CRAP!!! Listen to that sound!! So elegant, lush, lavish, rich, pure, dark, soulful. The company front had me on my feet. Well, that's it. The rest of the show seemed unremarkable to me. SCV, I will be honest. I do think you've sacrificed too much for the sake of "staying true" to the original composition. The show did not seem cohesive to me. Percussion...I don't know what to say. That drum break makes me scream in disapproval. Very talented mallet line that plays content that stops them from shining. Shame. But thank you for blowing my face off with that amazing company front. I shed a tear or two. It really was beautiful. Copland would be proud.

Bluecoats
Program: "Imagine"

Cerebral! Wow. This show was so intricate in terms of design. I enjoyed the uniform changes. However, those black props aren't hiding anything. I loved the brass sound. Very edgy and piercing. The musical selections entertained me. This show is extremely entertaining, with some creativity and imagination. Love the pig flags. So delightfully random. Great job today, bloooooo.

-------My Top 6 Scores-------
1) Blue Devils 98.1
2) Holy Name Cadets 96.0
3) Carolina Crown 95.5
3) Cavaliers 95.5
5) Santa Clara Vanguard 95.1
6) Bluecoats 92

--Brass Placements--
1) Santa Clara Vanguard
1) Blue Devils
3) Carolina Crown
4) Holy Name Cadets
5) Cavaliers
6) Bluecoats

--Percussion Placements--
1) Blue Devils
2) Cavaliers
3) Phantom Regiment
4) Bluecoats
5) Holy Name Cadets
6) Santa Clara Vanguard

--Guard Placements--
1) Blue Devils
2) Cavaliers
3) Holy Name Cadets
4) Carolina Crown
5) Santa Clara Vanguard
6) Bluecoats

Final thoughts--

I do think the Blue Devils are the best this year. Their show is on a level of creative inspiration that is unrivaled. Everything they do makes complete sense to me. The brass, guard, and percussion melt into a complete masterpiece performed to the highest caliber. Crown is a force to be reckoned with. I will look out for them in years to come. In terms of design, I do feel they have taken a step down compared to 2007. They are an impressive group of kids! Happy Birthday, HNC!

Will someone share this with Drum Corps Planet, please? I'd really appreciate it! I don't have an account. I promised myself I'd never make one.
Now THEY were LOUD.

SMbooster07
New Recruit
New Recruit

Double Post

Post by SMbooster07 » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:42 pm

I apologize for the double post. Unintentional!
Now THEY were LOUD.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: DCI Quarterfinals 2009-Partial Review

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:05 am

Done. Look under "DCI Corps Show & Event Reviews".
-Stop global whining.

SMbooster07
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SMbooster07 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:59 pm

Wildabeast, thank you so much! I appreciate it.

No, I will never have an account on DCP. A BD fan/honk/2003 alumni has NO PLACE on that site whatsover. I will always be a lurker, like most of the BD fan base.
Now THEY were LOUD.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:26 pm

SMbooster07 wrote:Wildabeast, thank you so much! I appreciate it.

No, I will never have an account on DCP. A BD fan/honk/2003 alumni has NO PLACE on that site whatsover. I will always be a lurker, like most of the BD fan base.
Nobody that isn't a baboon on crack has a place in the main forums.

That said, baboons on crack are entertaining in measured doses. :lol:

I'm on DCP, but 99% of my time is spent in the Fantasy League forum.

marchingartist
Rookie
Rookie

Post by marchingartist » Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:09 am

Hostrauser wrote:
SMbooster07 wrote:Wildabeast, thank you so much! I appreciate it.

Nobody that isn't a baboon on crack has a place in the main forums.

That said, baboons on crack are entertaining in measured doses. :lol:

I'm on DCP, but 99% of my time is spent in the Fantasy League forum.
One of my favorite disney characters happens to be a baboon so thank you very much! Actually, I just lurk around most of the time and post when I really have something I want answered by those drug-addicted primates. Every once in a while, I decide to stir up some fun by starting a thread titled "Amps are awesome, 70's drum corps sucked!" and watch the feces throwing unfold. Yes, DCP is a zoo, but I find zoos to be very fun and entertaining!
Signed,
Patron of the marching ARTS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Someone was complaining about Steve Calhoun (Quarterfinals brass judge) being a terrible judge. I think my response sums up DCP in a nutshell...
Hostrauser wrote:There are good DCI judges and there are bad DCI judges...

But if Jesus himself judged a caption on Saturday night, there'd be a ten-page thread on DCP by Sunday morning about what a ####-up he is. :roll:
DCP: where no opinion or innocuous comment goes unchallenged.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:59 pm

Hostrauser wrote:S
DCP: where no opinion or innocuous comment goes unchallenged.

Not right now....it crashed.
-Stop global whining.

SMbooster07
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SMbooster07 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:53 pm

I'll consider making an account DCP when less people speak their opinion as fact. Blue Devils fans should just stay away and ignore the existence of the Drum Corps Planet.

I'll have a finals review. Will someone share it once it's completed?
Now THEY were LOUD.