Sew EZ Kits

Conversations about the fabulous art of color guard, both field and court

Moderators: laurab, Gallagher, guardthepiccolo

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Sew EZ Kits

Post by Suhibandman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:57 pm

So this year we ordered some flags as Sew EZ kits. Are there any suggestions on types of thread to sew them with? I don't want to just give them out to our guard moms to sew without knowing the best recommended type of thread to use. The instructions didn't come with any suggestions...

Thanks!

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: Sew EZ Kits

Post by JenKozy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:31 am

Clear Nylon Thread. At least, that's what my costume/flag designer tells me. :wink:
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:10 am

JenKozy wrote:Clear Nylon Thread. At least, that's what my costume/flag designer tells me. :wink:
NO! Sorry to contradict your uniform person, but nylon thread doesn't wash or dry well and it makes a mess of your sewing machine. Only use nylon thread if the flag material is nylon. Also, if her advice is just because you can't see the seam, I say IT DOESN'T MATTER THAT MUCH. You can't see the seams from the stands anyway so long as the thread is similar in color.

Get a polyester/cotton blend in the most "common" medium color on the flag. If you REALLY want to get "fancy" and don't want to see the seam, use a top thread in the material's top color and a bobbin thread in the bottom material's color, but that means switching the thread and bobbin out as you do pieces and spending a little more on thread. The poly/cotton blend is more similar to the poly china silk and will wash and dry similarly.

Just my 2 cents.

cgamy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cgamy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:26 pm

I agree with "fieldshowqueen" about the nylon thread - unless you have a the right needles (which can be pricy) and your machine is not some cheap model, nylon thread can be more hassle than its worth. Having made flags for well over 25 years, I dealt with this issue. I also agree that finding a medium color is your easiest choice. Use a cotton-poly blend of thread which should keep the thread from snapping or wearing too thin while sewing. And just to further agree (and laugh), I was one of those people who DID have the bobbin thread that matched the color of the fabric. I only did that for parade flags though!

Have fun...

Amy

corkie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by corkie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:47 pm

I killed a sewing machine using nylon thread. The thread somehow got inside of the machine & melted- which very effectively "glued" several of the important working parts together. Repair guy lectured me to NEVER use nylon thread.

Last winter I repaired/reassembled a bunch of flags purchased from The Band Hall as the nylon thread they used wasn't staying put and the flags were falling apart.

I use the big inexpensive cones of thread from Wal-mart, and sew everything with either black or white thread. If I am feeling especially wacky, I'll use tan (learned that tip from the owner of Avant Guard Flags while we sewed together for the Blue Stars in 2007). Can't see the thread color from more than 10 feet away, so why take all that extra time to match thread color with each seam.

Let us know how easy the kits were to use... I'm curious if it was worth the few $$$ saved on each flag.

Remember: it's a flag, not a prom dress. No one sees it up close. :rotf:

cgamy
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cgamy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:27 pm

Wow Corkie, YOU live on the edge sewing with tan thread! :P And yes, as I sewed more and more flags over the years, I just threw all caution to the wind and used whatever thread colors I had on hand. Except of course for the parade flags. I was very superstitious about those! HAHAHA! :rotf:

Amy

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:25 pm

cgamy wrote:... And just to further agree (and laugh), I was one of those people who DID have the bobbin thread that matched the color of the fabric. I only did that for parade flags though!
Amy
I usually use the two colors (top thread/bobbin thread) when the materials are so dis-similar that you could really see the seam (example is a dark navy sewn onto a light blue) ... and of course parade flags. :D

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Wow. Guess that's why I never sew! :lol:

Please let us know how those EZ kits work out. I have gone back and forth over those kits a couple of times. Usually the pre-made ones win out due to time. However... still am very curious.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:24 am

Excuse the obvious question, but what are these EZ kits?
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suhibandman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:30 am

Guard-Dad wrote:Excuse the obvious question, but what are these EZ kits?
We ordered a set of flags for our field show from McCormick's and they have an option to save some money by selling many of their flags and designs as Sew EZ kits. The kit includes all of the parts of the flag pre cut and ready to be sewn together. There are of course instructions as to how to piece them together. The idea is you give them to a couple guard parents that know how to sew.

Our flags would have cost about $29 each, but getting them as an EZ kit brought the price down to about $22 each. We only purchased one set like that, since we wanted to see if it was worth saving the money, or if we should bite the bullet and get them premade. I haven't heard back from our guard mom who is sewing them together (luckily she works as a seamstress). I don't imagine she'll have any problems...

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:31 am

Suhibandman wrote:
Guard-Dad wrote:Excuse the obvious question, but what are these EZ kits?
We ordered a set of flags for our field show from McCormick's and they have an option to save some money by selling many of their flags and designs as Sew EZ kits. The kit includes all of the parts of the flag pre cut and ready to be sewn together. There are of course instructions as to how to piece them together. The idea is you give them to a couple guard parents that know how to sew.

Our flags would have cost about $29 each, but getting them as an EZ kit brought the price down to about $22 each. We only purchased one set like that, since we wanted to see if it was worth saving the money, or if we should bite the bullet and get them premade. I haven't heard back from our guard mom who is sewing them together (luckily she works as a seamstress). I don't imagine she'll have any problems...
hhmmm, that's pretty cool. I ask because I organize getting things like flags sewn. So this maybe an option. Can you custom design the flags or are they from stocked designs?
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suhibandman » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 pm

We got them from a stock design. I don't see why you couldn't check on submitting a design though... McCormick's got our flag kits pretty quickly, so if anything, send them an email.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:56 pm

The kits ARE good if you don't have someone who can figure out patterns vs. seams plus transfer to pattern board and cut. Sewing takes 5 minutes per seam. A 7 piece flag is 35 minutes to piece plus an additional 25 minutes to sew the hem and pole pocket. Call it about 1 1/4 hours per flag just to sew. Figuring out the computer graphics and pattern and cutting is double that time, so if you are short on time and can afford the extra $15 per flag then I say go for it.

BTW ... a typical flag 36x52" takes 2 yards of fabric. At $2.50 average per yard, it only costs $5 plus the thread so about $7.00 per flag, if you design and cut and sew them yourself, plus 30 man hours minimum for a set.

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:52 am

Luckily it seems (so far) our flags will be relatively simple. Now I don't sew, can barely sew on a button, but with this my 3rd year handling all this, and having seen some of our flags in the past (WOW) I think this will be "easy". I'm just ordering material from The Band Hall and then call on my "sew moms" to get them going!

I'll have to keep this in mind though, maybe not be a bad way to go in the future, thanks for the advice!!!

Rich
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Rich » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 am

mccormicks lets you request a sew EZ kit for a custom designed flag as well. but im sure depending on the difficulty of the flag your own personal option of ordering the kit should fall into play.