The Grass Is Always Greener...

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

The Grass Is Always Greener...

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:04 pm

So, having finally seen and heard Carolina Crown's show this year, I only have two words...

Holy. :shock:
Crap.
:drop:

No doubt about it, Crown is one of the big boys now. This is the most challenging show I've seen in DCI in years. They are attempting SO MUCH. The ending is missing something and needs a rewrite or two, but other than that... if the staff can resist the hose, and if they can get this show clean enough, THEY WILL WIN.

Part I: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RvPONfAZJ0
Copland: The Promise of Living from "Tender Land"
Respighi: St. Michael the Archangel from "Church Windows"
Beddis: Hybrid?

Part II: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQTCbOKUqJE
Costello: Puck from "Il Sogno"?
Revueltas: Sensemaya
Arlen/Harburg: Somewhere Over the Rainbow from "The Wizard of Oz"
Bernstein: Somewhere from "West Side Story"
Pann: Slalom
Copland: The Promise of Living from "Tender Land"

My favorite moment from DCI this Summer (so far): the first 80 seconds of Part II. Just try capturing it all in one or two views. I can't even begin to point out all the tricks they pull, but I will say this: watch the leg work. Especially towards the end of this section when the corps is "moseying" towards the front sideline: get a load of how various horn players suddenly drop to their knees, slide forward for one or two steps (a la "Bottle Dance"), then spring back to their feet and march in formation.

Crown is trying a lot of amazing stuff this year.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: The Grass Is Always Greener...

Post by Wildabeast » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:02 pm

Wow. Matt Harloff has that brass line on high-grade octane.

Hopefully I'll get to Indy to experience the "Star of Carolina" live. :wink:
-Stop global whining.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 3:31 pm

No doubt, they do have a dash of early 90s Star of Indiana influence in that program.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:15 pm

Very cool. Though, I wonder where those green bass drum heads are?
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:42 pm

Staff didn't like the visual look, saving them for later, etc. ??

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:12 pm

Although I will start off by confessing I'm a bit "BD bias"

I can only describe that in one word ..WOW .. that is some impressive stuff! and from a camera quality darn nice video taping too!!!!
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zarathrustra » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:44 pm

Crown definetely has the potential to take it this season. After watching those videos and from what I know so far about other shows, I wouldn't say that it'd be too much to say that they're definetely going to be in the top 3. It's an astounding show. Hopefully they'll be able to maintain the high level of execution that they have been. Blue Devils wants it this season and EVERYONE can tell.
San Benito Scarlet Regiment
Trombone/Euphonium Section Leader/Student Director:2007-2009
Rifle Regiment-Sousa
The Elephant-Ord Hume arr. Zuniga
Simoraine-Barraclough arr. Zuniga
Boys of the Old Brigade-Chambers arr. Zuniga
Muhledorf-Broadbent arr. Zuniga

Cadetsnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cadetsnare » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:47 am

Hostrauser wrote:Staff didn't like the visual look, saving them for later, etc. ??
They sounded BAD. Hung with Beddis several times over the past 2 weeks. They simply don't sound good, althought the vis team is still pushing the issue. Lee won't back down. Good for him! Not like there's not enough green out there in the show.
...proudly quashing bad left hands since 1988....
Pearl, Remo and Vic Firth artist, and I make one heck of an omelette.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:10 pm

This is a little off topic but has to do with the video you linked to...I am SICK AND TIRED of the "pre show concept". It is PATENTLY stupid, with a capital S. I thought I was watching the show, and all of sudden, the announcer BLARES through the beautiful "Red Pony" with the drum major ready announcement. It was HORRIBLE.

And this is another STUPID Hopkins rule that needs to be upended. Sorry to blevy. But it was OBVIOUS the announcer was "setting it up" for Carolina to hit that big chord in the single line curved set. Well, NOW it's NOT a competition based on the kids involvement...NOW it's a competition based on OTHER factors...LIKE THE ANNOUNCER.

If this is the true direction DCI is going, I'm turning my back on announcing anymore. It makes the announcer look bad, and it's awkward at best.

Cadetsnare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cadetsnare » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:36 pm

Sorry Ryan, I have to disagree. I think it is a great opp for the corps tp capitalize on the "arrival" of an impact coinciding with the announcement. I think it works well. Goes back to 89 Cadets when the announcer (was supposed to, but screwed it up at finals) said, "Cadets of Bergen County, you may enter the field for competition".....BAM! Big hit of "I Dreamed a Dream".

I understand your frustration...I think it is a tool that should be used sparingly, and judiciously. Seems like EVERY corps is doing it this year (including the Colts).
What can I say, bro....it's not like it's life or death, or our family's health...it's drum corps. Drums and horns and pajamas on a football field. With bad food. :wink:
...proudly quashing bad left hands since 1988....
Pearl, Remo and Vic Firth artist, and I make one heck of an omelette.

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:18 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:This is a little off topic but has to do with the video you linked to...I am SICK AND TIRED of the "pre show concept". It is PATENTLY stupid, with a capital S. I thought I was watching the show, and all of sudden, the announcer BLARES through the beautiful "Red Pony" with the drum major ready announcement. It was HORRIBLE.

And this is another STUPID Hopkins rule that needs to be upended. Sorry to blevy. But it was OBVIOUS the announcer was "setting it up" for Carolina to hit that big chord in the single line curved set. Well, NOW it's NOT a competition based on the kids involvement...NOW it's a competition based on OTHER factors...LIKE THE ANNOUNCER.

If this is the true direction DCI is going, I'm turning my back on announcing anymore. It makes the announcer look bad, and it's awkward at best.
I agree!

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:01 pm

Motion - Second - Carried...

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:59 pm

Hmm...I'll agree with both sides slightly. This is starting to show up in many BOA shows as well. I do feel is there is time before the show for a "pre-performance" then that's fine, let the corps/bands do what they want with "their time". Because that's truly what it is.....BUT... if they happen to be slightly under tempo or whatever and the announcement doesn't happen where they would like it...then that's not the announcers fault. BOA and DCI both run by a "show clock" so there should be no errors in announcements or what not.

But the current interval timing rule still exists, so, until it goes away....the groups may do as they please.

But I think one of the things Ryan is getting to is adjudication...

I do not think the Pre-Show entertainment should have ANY effect on the judging. So if a GE judge were to say "great build up to that opening impact"...that would be an "illegal" thing to say...because as far as adjudication is concerned and performance time...there was no build up.

Then we get into the realm of extra credit. "Well, you weren't REQUIRED to do something there, but it would have been much more effective if you had". That would be uber lame.

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:18 pm

One other issue to consider with this is that many shows are now not allowing people to move into or out of the stands "during a unit's performance." When they do this pre-show stuff it is confusing to the audience and the people working the audience seat entrances. EVERY time I have seen one of these pre-show shows someone nearby says, "did I miss it? Did they say to begin?"

If the designers really have something cool to add, then make it part of the actual show. Just my opinion.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:06 am

I think a full on preshow is pretty ridiculous, but more minor stuff is good for setting the ambiance early (e.g., Blue Devils Winged Victory)

However, I do seem to remember the announcer at the Walnut show that year kept waiting for the Blue Devils... Very awkward. It might have even been Mistah Turner announcing.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.