Reflections concerning Star Trek

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Reflections concerning Star Trek

Post by Gonzofoto » Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Last edited by Gonzofoto on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tSz42

Re: Reflections concerning Star Trek

Post by tSz42 » Mon May 04, 2009 5:56 pm

Yahoo! had 5 new scenes from the movie that they released a few days ago, at least one was more focused on the dialogue, when Spok meets some of the crew and is demanding they answer his questions.

I don't know how much they can cram into the 2 hour movie (or however long it is) but the formula for a summer blockbuster is to have action sequences every 15-20 minutes. And it will have eye candy because they want to bring the Star Trek experience (why'd they close the Vegas attraction so close to the film coming out?) to the masses and the eye candy is, unfortunately, what will bring them in.

A friend of mine who does professional star trek models is gathering up a huge crowd to go see it at the iMax, and a lot of us don't really follow star trek.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Mon May 04, 2009 9:25 pm

... and what gonzo posted isn't really "new". There is a documentary (actually 2 or 3) about the effect of "Star Trek" technology on today's society PLUS there are several college courses with respect to Star Trek as a sociological catalyst and the pyschological effect of Star Trek on "baby boomers".

Sorry Gonzo ...nice thesis though.

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Tue May 05, 2009 12:10 am

maybe I should have read the whole thing, I think I read the first paragraph and then skipped to where you put mexicans and klingons into the same sentence.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Wed May 20, 2009 1:41 pm

Too bad he took it off...

Gonzo...email me the text if you will at RYANHTURNER@ATT.NET

midavid
Rookie
Rookie

Universal Language

Post by midavid » Wed May 20, 2009 4:16 pm

Why does no one ever discuss how all alien life forms inherently speak English? I probably was not supposed to notice that. I'll go watch "Angels and Demons" then.
:oops:
"You're like Christopher Columbus. You discovered something millions of people knew about before you." -Lisa Simpson

"Mom, I'm going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life: by pressing ALT F5 repeatedly." -Bart Simpson

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Universal Language

Post by formermarcher » Wed May 20, 2009 6:30 pm

MIDPRONIUM wrote:Why does no one ever discuss how all alien life forms inherently speak English? I probably was not supposed to notice that. I'll go watch "Angels and Demons" then.
:oops:
The universal translator. Its built in to every star fleet communication device, from the phone-like devices to the comm badges. Doesn't always work, but most of the time it does. I think the better question to ask is why sometimes someone will speak in Klingon and no one will have a clue whats being said. Guess the translator has selective hearing :lol:

Actually, if you ever watched Enterprise (the series no one heard of; prequel series to the Original Series), we found out that the concept of the translator was developed by someone on that crew.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu May 21, 2009 9:03 am

Before the Universal Translator was invented they had a crew member that studied alien languages and was fluent in many commonly used languages to translate transmissions. This crew member was part of the Bridge crew. The universal translator works by reading alien brainwaves, one reason some species languages cannot be translated is because their brains are to complex for the translator. But mostly it just for convenience of the show production.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu May 21, 2009 5:21 pm

....and just ignore that the humanoid-type aliens on the show that have mouths are actually FORMING the English words. Ignore that. And if you do, I promise to ignore the fact that Star WARS has terms like "hell", "heck", "what the heck", "over my dead body", and other colloquialisms that to me, wouldn't be said "...a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away".