Leadership 101

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Leadership 101

Post by formermarcher » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:45 am

Hey everyone! :wav:

So looks like this forum is being used primarily as a way for us to review drum major competitions. This is perfectly fine and there's nothing wrong with that. And its also true that people who are Drum Majors can often be referred to as leaders, which is why it ends up in this forum instead of Marching Band forums. :arrow:

But I'd like to make this forum a bit more active on the leadership side of things. 8-) Every week or so, I'd like to post a new topic in a sticky that covers some aspect of leadership, and allow anyone who is interested a chance to post their thoughts and responses. :idea: The goal is to create a forum where you can develop into a stronger leader, or for you to just have a conversation about leadership. You can put in as much as you want or as little as you want, but I would urge everyone to get involved. :compute:

Some of you may already be familiar with the topics I'll be bringing up, or things similar to them. If you are, please feel free to contribute!

I've put together a list of some of the first topics as they pertain to leadership that I'd like to go over. I'll post the first thread in a few days.

1. Personalities
2. The Lid
3. Influence
4. Process
5. Navigation
6. Learning In Action

I think with those things we'll be able to get some good conversation stirring up in this forum.

And as always, you're welcome to bring up any questions, topics, or issues that you want to. Lets be supportive of each other! :towel:
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Re: Leadership 101

Post by formermarcher » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:26 am

One note...if there is a particular format anyone would like to see regarding this, feel free to post. This is something that is meant for you all as leaders, so if there's something you want to see done or done in a certain way, do not hesitate to say so!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:07 pm

Another thing I want to add.

This is not just for current leaders. If you aren't a leader within your pgoram, thats completely fine. You don't need to be a leader to have opinions and thoughts, afterall. It is my hope that through discussion of leadership topics, you may come away with some new ideas that benefit you should you want to become a leader.

For those you that already are leaders, post away! Share what you think!

ArturoHerrera
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ArturoHerrera » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:23 am

Thank you so muh for starting a thread like this. I'm sure people will find it useful in many ways. I think we if we pose questions or comment on one of those subjects you introduced for us we should put the number of it first. And I'll be the first to toss a question in my next reply I'm sure =)
Arturo Cesar Augusto Herrera Leon

Coach
International Drum Major Institute

Glendora High School:
Tartan Marching Band and Pageantry
Drum Major 2008-09

agentsquishypenguin
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by agentsquishypenguin » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:41 pm

This is a very good idea. At my high school, we have problems with leadership. There are only 3 real people who act like they are leaders; the drum major, the high brass section leader, and me,the color guard captain. This was my first year in color guard and i was quickly put as captain. I went to section leader meetings and voiced my opinion. Unfortunatly, the other leaders (who are mostly seniors) have lost interest and don't care what happens to the band. I am slightly thankful that marching season is over, or our band would have collapsed. This is a good idea, and i hope future leaders for my band will read these posts and keep them in mind. Thank you. :)
Sacramento State Color Guard Co-Captain 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015
Oregon Crusaders Drum and Bugle Corps 2011, 2014
Sherman E. Burroughs High School Color Guard Captain & Band Council 2009/2010, 2010/2011, 2011/2012