So Cal rocks Dayton

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

geefunk1026
Support Staff
Support Staff

So Cal rocks Dayton

Post by geefunk1026 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:57 pm

So Cal groups are rocking it out here in Ohio.
Ayala Concert won the gold in PSCW (best concert piece ever)
Los Alamitos won gold in PSA (1st from every judge)
James Garfield took 4th place in PSCO with their awesome show.
My Kids at Carlsbad took 7th in PSA finals, and 9th in PSCO prelims.
Alternative percussion advanced to PIO finals and Full Force had a great PIO debut.
RCC is going into finals in a close 2nd place even though they performed 14th from the end, or something like that.
Pulse Percussion is in 4th place.
All the PSW groups from So Cal are in the top 10 going into finals.
Ayala 3rd
Chino Hills 4th
Mission Viejo 8th
Arcadia 9th
Upland 10th

Pacifica and Fountain Valley are at the top of PSO again.
We'll know more at the end of the day tomorrow, but things are going great out here.
G

tSz42

Re: So Cal rocks Dayton

Post by tSz42 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 pm

they need another championship hosted in SD again.

Che!
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Che! » Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:24 pm

tSz42 wrote:they need another championship hosted in SD again.
I agree. That way I can actually go and not have to pay as much.

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:21 pm

i third that. can you imagine if no school from california went to dayton ohio?

think about that, like for real. we are the bulk of finals and usually bring back all kinds of medals especially in this decade.

we need to do some sort of petition to bring it back to san diego. yes i know its expensive for everyone else to get over here and going over the rockies is hell and what not, but wen it was down here in 2004, it was awsome. they need to consider this again.
Yo

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Our groups go over the rockies to get there...they should change it up...other people can make the trip as well!

perc2100
Veteran
Veteran

Post by perc2100 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:01 pm

geefunk1026 wrote:So Cal groups are rocking it out here in Ohio.
Ayala Concert won the gold in PSCW (best concert piece ever)
Los Alamitos won gold in PSA (1st from every judge)
James Garfield took 4th place in PSCO with their awesome show.
My Kids at Carlsbad took 7th in PSA finals, and 9th in PSCO prelims.
Alternative percussion advanced to PIO finals and Full Force had a great PIO debut.
RCC is going into finals in a close 2nd place even though they performed 14th from the end, or something like that.
Pulse Percussion is in 4th place.
All the PSW groups from So Cal are in the top 10 going into finals.
Ayala 3rd
Chino Hills 4th
Mission Viejo 8th
Arcadia 9th
Upland 10th

Pacifica and Fountain Valley are at the top of PSO again.
We'll know more at the end of the day tomorrow, but things are going great out here.
G
I just wanted to second these thoughts. So Cal was again a driving force at WGI Championships. Not only was I EXTREMELY proud with the group that I teach making finals in their WGI debut, but it was a great feeling seeing so many young adults and staff from So Cal representing our region in Dayton this weekend.

Congratulations to all of the marching and staff members of So Cal for their hard work and accomplishments this season. This past weekend makes you really sit back and appreciate how many high quality winter percussion groups we get to see on a regular basis out here (as well think about how freaking competitive SCPA is on a yearly basis).

Guard-Dad
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Guard-Dad » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:35 am

I've never been to a percussion event, but I've heard they are awesome! Congratulations to all the groups from SoCal!! The SoCal groups were dominate at CG championships as well!!

From a "color guard dad" perspective, I'd love to see championships comeback to San Diego also, but it won't be until 2011 at the earliest, as the the 2010 schedule is set per WGI.org:

April 8 - 10
WGI Color Guard World Championships - Dayton, OH

April 15 - 17
WGI Percussion World Championships - Dayton, OH

Let's all take a break, and for some get ready for Drum Corp! (I have a Blue Devil!!)
"Colorguard .. to those who understand, no explanation needed .. To those who don't, no explanation possible"

not4u13

Post by not4u13 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:31 pm

It would be great to have WGI Finals in So Cal but the costs are pretty steep for WGI and I would rather have a financially healthy WGI than to put the show in SoCal.

The WGI staff in the Dayton area, the hotels, the restaurants, the schools, the churches ... heck ... the whole community ... seems to love WGI week. They are so very supportive of the groups making the trip and really make the time spent there enjoyable.

Then ... there is the every elusive rehearsal space. The population density here in SoCal would make finding good rehearsal space for all of these drumlines difficult and costly. There is so much open space in the Dayton area that groups making the trip can either book space through WGI or find their own space.

Putting a competition in SoCal may eventually make sense again but right now I don't see a business case for it from a WGI perspective.

Mullet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Mullet » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:26 pm

SoCal definitely rocked the Nutter and UD. It was amazing how much talent we have here. It was great seeing all of you out there! Hopefully next year we get some more representation!
West Covina HS