NCBA Open Percussion

Discuss hot topics about the world of marching percussion

Moderators: Gallagher, geefunk1026

Who do you think will win the competition?

Benicia
38%
Del Oro
No votes
Fairfield
21%
Foothill-Pleasanton
2%
Jesse Bethel
28%
McClatchy
4%
Vallejo
8%

Total votes: 53

il0vemus1c

NCBA Open Percussion

Post by il0vemus1c » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:43 pm

So now that you've all seen the lines this past Saturday in Fairfield, what are your predictions on whose going to be the top of the division?

VisTech902

Re: NCBA Open Percussion

Post by VisTech902 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:57 pm

To be quite honest,

my opinion on the division is that FINALLY, the open division is back. it has been awhile since the division has been this competitive or shall I say, this skilled as well. Last year Fairfield dominated the whole year and no one was in striking range, maybe Springstowne! but that is another story..

But anyways, lets be real here. Top three this year (in no order) will be Fairfield, Benicia and Jesse Bethel. I'm not putting Vallejo in there because they arent playing enough notes to be a legitimate contender. Lets face it, the music hasnt been good since the John Zarco days. All they have this year is a visual package that again, isnt as difficult as to Fairfield for example.

The way I see it is, if Jesse Bethel can speed up there set up time, clean the minor things up, and finish the show, its theres to win. No one in the division is performing the show at the caliber that they are performing at and no group is playing difficult music all around like they are.

Lets break it down on the music end.

Benicia- is playing notes where? In the snare line amd the snare line only.. anybody care to listen to there tenor or bass music?? Pay attention next time around and listen to the tenor music especially. It is not even Novice caliber music.

Fairfield- the bassline and the front ensemble. the snare line is attempting some things but its just out right DIRT. maybe if they clean things up with the snares and tenors, some of there passages can be read and get more points musically. BUT STILL, nothing compared to level of difficulty the bassline is playing.

Jesse Bethel- they have the full package musically. id like to hear the front ensemble MORE but other than that, every section has a very intriguing book written for them, even the cymbal line! executed dynamics and softer sections will help them tremendously.

now the visual end.

Fairfield hands down beats out the whole circuit because of the variety they use in their visual. everything from the uniforms to drill design, everything that WGI would love. Yes, Jesse Bethel has the cool hats and all that good stuff but not enough variety with drill sets. lets think out of the box (literally) Jesse Bethel. Benicia has a very mediocre show visually with tricks that have been done and nothing that is new and never scene before. lets do something different guys.. we've seen the "everybody go on a bass drum" trick before.

with everything said, this my opinion. not to rag on any individual unit but this is what i think personally. agree with me or not, this is what i think. Jesse Bethel will be the 2009 NCBA Open Division Champions.

curios0811
Rookie
Rookie

Post by curios0811 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:42 am

are their any videos of these groups for this season on you tube?
Yo

il0vemus1c

Post by il0vemus1c » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:24 am

Vallejo @ Armijo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnQcUp_dpgo
Benicia @ Armijo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_c6sbx_lMo

I couldn't find the other schools.

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:29 am

curios0811 wrote:are their any videos of these groups for this season on you tube?
I little bird told me there are videos for several ncba groups up...

As far as I know there are not bethel and fairfield videos online.

(Let keep it that way until after the season please :D)

Oh and thank you VisTech902, its nice to some in depth thoughts on the groups in open on this board. Lets hear some more reviews!
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Instructor/Arranger/Visual
Reed High 1998-1999, 2001-2003, 2007-2008
Spanish Springs 2001-2003
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

tao707
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tao707 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:56 am

i have del oro, mcclatchy, and foothill on my youtube page from fairfield. i also have majority of the perc groups who performed on sat up

Instant_replay

Post by Instant_replay » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:37 pm

VisTech902 wrote:
The way I see it is, if Jesse Bethel can speed up there set up time, clean the minor things up, and finish the show, its theres to win. No one in the division is performing the show at the caliber that they are performing at and no group is playing difficult music all around like they are.

Jesse Bethel- they have the full package musically. id like to hear the front ensemble MORE but other than that, every section has a very intriguing book written for them, even the cymbal line! executed dynamics and softer sections will help them tremendously.

now the visual end.

Yes, Jesse Bethel has the cool hats and all that good stuff but not enough variety with drill sets. lets think out of the box (literally) Jesse Bethel.

with everything said, this my opinion. not to rag on any individual unit but this is what i think personally. agree with me or not, this is what i think. Jesse Bethel will be the 2009 NCBA Open Division Champions.
I agree completely. Musically their show is finished, all that's left now is drill for the final movement.

Good luck to all schools this saturday at Vallejo!

jbdrummerdude
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jbdrummerdude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:26 pm

thanks for the review VisTech902. I only got to see Vallejo and Fairfield on sat. and all i know is that its gonna be tight this year. Haven't seen Bethel yet but I hear that they're pretty good.

I thought Vallejo was pretty good. They have that look thats very "classy" about them when they perform. good posture and its not like late 90's "im gonna kick your a$$" look. Their pit also sounds a lot better from last year. they have a nice dark sound and good blend. I can be wrong but I dont think they mic their equipment which is working pretty well for them.

Fairfield was tight. I love the design of the show and it is a big difference from the fall. And their bass line is ridiculous good. I also like the signature modulation I haven't seen in a while which was pretty tight. Once they finish the show they're gonna be one of the best lines out there.

good luck and keep the reviews coming! they're great so far!
BHS 2002-2006
Blue Devils B 2006
Sacramento Freelancers 2007-present
Sacramento Mandarins 2007-present

BMS Instructor 2003-2008
BHS Instructor 2006-present
El Dorado HS instructor 2008
Del Oro HS
Monte Vista HS
Lincoln HS

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:07 pm

I would also like to see some reviews from people that have more than 10 posts please^^
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:13 pm

jbdrummerdude wrote: Their pit also sounds a lot better from last year. they have a nice dark sound and good blend.
I thought that also. I had them on top at the fairfield show so I wouldn't count Vallejo out of the running.

Underrated/Undermentioned NCBA open mallet sections thus far:
Foothill (Check it out!)
Benecia
Vallejo
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:26 am

Hey VisTech902, I enjoyed reading some of your review but there were parts of it that bothered me. All these kids out there are trying their very best to do something that we all love and enjoy not to mention the heart and soul the staff members put into their lines. I thought the comment about the tenor book not being even up to novice standards was a little harsh. Not only does it put down the kids in the novice div. but it a slap in the face to the arranger that put his time and effort into that book.I was wondering what your background is. Where did you march and what groups have you taught?

jay1300

Post by jay1300 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:50 am

bighud1 wrote:Hey VisTech902, I enjoyed reading some of your review but there were parts of it that bothered me. All these kids out there are trying their very best to do something that we all love and enjoy not to mention the heart and soul the staff members put into their lines. I thought the comment about the tenor book not being even up to novice standards was a little harsh. Not only does it put down the kids in the novice div. but it a slap in the face to the arranger that put his time and effort into that book.I was wondering what your background is. Where did you march and what groups have you taught?
I agree. definitely sounds like a Benicia hater for sure. all of VisTech902's comments for Benicia were all bad and ridiculous. Why would you want to rag on some kids or instructors you don't know? And those kids and instructors are some of the nicest people I've ever met. Always willing to chop it up and have a good conversation. And "to be quite honest" if you want to make a review that harsh on a youth activity, shame on you. It's high school drumline. Get a life. These kids perform to have fun and you're being a bully that has nothing to do but make kids feel bad. So please use more respectable unbiased reviews next time or give them to your friends that think you're cool.

I'm pretty sure VisTech wont be giving out any info on where he/she taught or who he/she is. They wrote a pretty embarrassing review that any school/organization would frown upon.

madisonfeeblegarden

Post by madisonfeeblegarden » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

VisTech902 wrote:To be quite honest,
my opinion on the division is that FINALLY, the open division is back. it has been awhile since the division has been this competitive or shall I say, this skilled as well. Last year Fairfield dominated the whole year and no one was in striking range, maybe Springstowne! but that is another story..
But anyways, lets be real here. Top three this year (in no order) will be Fairfield, Benicia and Jesse Bethel. I'm not putting Vallejo in there because they arent playing enough notes to be a legitimate contender. Lets face it, the music hasnt been good since the John Zarco days. All they have this year is a visual package that again, isnt as difficult as to Fairfield for example.
Benicia- is playing notes where? In the snare line amd the snare line only.. anybody care to listen to there tenor or bass music?? Pay attention next time around and listen to the tenor music especially. It is not even Novice caliber music.
Fairfield- the bassline and the front ensemble. the snare line is attempting some things but its just out right DIRT. maybe if they clean things up with the snares and tenors, some of there passages can be read and get more points musically. BUT STILL, nothing compared to level of difficulty the bassline is playing.
now the visual end.
Fairfield hands down beats out the whole circuit because of the variety they use in their visual. everything from the uniforms to drill design, everything that WGI would love. Yes, Jesse Bethel has the cool hats and all that good stuff but not enough variety with drill sets. lets think out of the box (literally) Jesse Bethel. Benicia has a very mediocre show visually with tricks that have been done and nothing that is new and never scene before. lets do something different guys.. we've seen the "everybody go on a bass drum" trick before.
dont listen to this guy... i searched his name on the website... hes biased towards bethel and springstowne. look for yourself...
http://worldofpageantry.com/forums/sear ... mit=Search

please, keep that kinda stuff out of these forums if your going to talk about other lines. the competition is alot closer than you think... and be mature, because i know you wouldnt say those things in front of the other schools faces, and especially not their instructors.

Steven
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Steven » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:01 pm

Battle of the trolls!!!

:jedi:
Fairfield High 2007-2009
Mandarins 2006-2007
Instructor – Battery

Slaphappy7
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Slaphappy7 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:46 pm

To take a phrase from another genre, this year is going to be a slobber knocker! Open class is on FIRE! (Though I was hoping Rodriguez and Atwater would be in the mix but there’s always next season). According to the resultsit looks like as of right now (last show) the only people Jesse Bethel needs to worry about beating is… Jesse Bethel. C’ mon guys! 2 penality? For what? Sloppy sloppy. I am going to guess time since it seemed like they were taking FOREVER. I swore the T&P judge started tapping his foot. Streamline that setup, get some more efficient ways get your sound out and you should be fine.

Now onto my takes of the group I believe will be the top 4. Please note I’m a corps guy and I am currently not teaching in NCBA or any circuit in that matter but, I have been around the block in NCBA, and DCI for a while (among other circuits) Let’s start shall we? If you’ll excuse me I’m going to compare each open line to a DCI world line. This is strictly an analogy! Take it with a grain of salt! And this is in no order.

Vallejo – Very classy look. Their show has all the signature and classic Vallejo High Beats. It’s not clean (no one truly is yet) but it’s getting there. DOWNSIDE: It’s classic Vallejo. It’s what you’ve come to expect from them no more no less. AKA it’s SAFE Vallejo = SCV. They’ll always be in the hunt but they just can’t get the gold 9/10 times.

Benicia – Clean snares. Front ensemble sounds okay. Decent control of musical phrases… Show seems ok for the most part except for the DOWNSIDE: Over all show design. I don’t get it. I don’t get how the music relates. I heard that it’s called “smoke and mirrors?” So they are magicians I guess. I don’t know. On top of that once again no innovation. Moving backdrops? Seen it. Mega Bass solo? Seen it. Been there done that. It’s all just “meh…” Benicia = The Cavaliers. Though it can be clean it leaves you saying “huh” It’s not the total package and just not ready for the top spot

Fairfield – Now here’s a school that took one half of the WGI rule and how to design book uploaded it into their staff and kids and put it on the floor. The look of their show is something you would see in PSA or PSO in Dayton. Bass like is siiiiiiiiiiiiick. Front ensemble is siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick. But then bam! Boom! Pow! Nothin’. I see the meat iin the snare and tenor sections but its just not executing. As we all know no execution = no achievement = no credit. Is Fairfield innovative? Oh yeah but their DOWNSIDE: Dirt. No achievement. Everything works, the concept is easy to get but… there’s something missing. The IT factor is not there this year. Snares and Tenors will hold this line back. Fairfield = The Cadets. Innovation is there but the DIRT and large variance of difficulty between sections will be the Achilles heal.

Jesse Bethel – If you’re wondering where the other half of that WGI book went, look no further. Bethel got their hands on the performance, and GE portion of the book and RAN WITH IT. The show concept is there, the music matches the movement and costumes, From the center snare to the bell player and all points in between there is MEAT, MEAT and MORE MEAT AND POTATOES! (be it a bit on the loud side aka dynamics… FTW please) I love how each section gets multiple chances to shine in this show along with the unison parts (check out those cymbals this weekend!) It’s been a while since a crowd (front and back half of the gym) has gone THAT NUTS over a show. Drill looked to be a bit incomplete last week so we’ll see where that takes us. As I said before their DOWNSIDE: Time. You guys HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO cut your set up and take down times. You’re just shooting yourselves in the foot. Stop it. As of last score it’s yours to take. IF you keep the momentum and IF you streamline that entourage of yours I think you’ll be fine. Jesse Bethel = A cross of The Blue Devils and Phantom Regiment. Notes are there, GE is there, Performance aspect is THERE! *cough*Spartacus*cough* Don’t get lazy or you’ll get passed up.
Good luck in Vallejo everyone!

Side note: there’s two other shows this weekend: WGI Union City and CCGC Independence. Are any of the NCBA big boys representing at either?

Follow us on twitter and friend us on Facebook!

http://twitter.com/SFRenegades

http://www.facebook.com/SanFranciscoRenegades