How to save money in education.

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

In your opinion, should there be a moratorium on ALL standardized testing for at least 2 years?

Yes
91%
No
9%

Total votes: 35

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: How to save money in education.

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:21 am

supermutant wrote:
Jsaxm wrote: Do you really believe that there isn't enough emphasis placed on the "core" curriculum in our schools?!
Please remember, according to the US Department of Education and the California State Department of Education, the arts are part of the core academic curriculum.
Oh of course I realize that, but, yeah, you know what I mean...thus the quotations.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:20 pm

This doesn't really have to do with the topic, but since money was mentioned it got me thinking. Californians LOVE to pass ballot measures that fund projects with bonds. For you newbies out there, a bond is a really, really big loan. It must be paid back, with interest, of course. We end up having to pay back 160% of the principal over 30 years. Million dollar loan = 1.6 million paid back.

I did some adding up and Californians have passed measures allowing $109,518,000,000 to be borrowed to fund stuff. That's $109 BILLION. Granted, not all of those bonds have been issued, but the potential debt is there. By the way, I only went back to the year 2000.

Californians want it all...but a tax increase to pay for all this? Oh no! We treated our state's government just like most fools used their credit cards, to buy stuff they can't afford.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:44 pm

Taking tests and learning are not the same thing.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:20 pm

LoyalTubist wrote:Taking tests and learning are not the same thing.
BLASPHEMY you say!!!!

Show me the research!

/sarcam_off

Unfortunately, policy makers in education do not understand this. The "standards and assessment" movement of the 70s/80s has outlived its usefulness and become a major impedement for positively productive educational reform.

Just take a look at the mess that our district is in right now...
Most of the decisions made in the district over the last 4 years have been justified because of "test scores".
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:37 pm

supermutant wrote:It is established that standardized testing measures the economic success of the parents and nothing else. :evil:
Ok...I read through 4 pages of this thread....and this is the comment that hit me hardest. Wow! This is completely untrue and I hope it's a joke. I could go off on a 19 page tyrant about this quote....but I have stuff to do today. (maybe tomorrow :) ) If educators and adults actually believe the statement above...there is no hope for the educational system........

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:38 pm

Living in a developing country and working in education here, I know this as a fact. It's a way they can blame the teachers for the bad education their children are getting.