Addition to SCV's Leadership Team

Topics and polls that cover the spectrum of the drum corps activity

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Addition to SCV's Leadership Team

Post by Wildabeast » Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:41 am

Gino Cipriani, former brass head of the Blue Devils, the Cadets, and Magic of Orlando, is now poised to help bring the Santa Clara Vanguard back to prominence.

http://www.scvanguard.org/about/news.php?id=1066361098 Read the last sentence.

Mr Pageantry
Veteran
Veteran

HI Wil

Post by Mr Pageantry » Fri Oct 17, 2003 10:44 am

Thanks for the Vanguard Info.... That is indeed good news for Vanguard Brass... though they are fabulous as is.. I would assume Gino will give them the added melifluous edge which seemed to be missing this year.... I hope they are looking at a more melodious presentation.. this year, frankly I was dissppointed by the stacatto (sic) music which seemed to be tailored to 'fit' drill moves rather than drill molded around the music... Oh well.. now you know why I am merely a spectator and not a reviewer.. and also I am an admirer of Vanguard through the years for their innovative presentations..... By the way THANXXXX for all of your information and continued posting... I am reserving a bed right next to mine at the Southern California home for the criminally insane.. in the future... Ryan Turner will also be in our ward and will presumably sit at the chess and checkers table having long meaningful conversations with Ronald Reagan.... Much Aloha.. Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:52 pm

No...I'll be the guy in the corner sorta mumbling to himself about why dots and x's are the only symbols of life that I understand and why no one else can understand it...like band directors...JUST JOSHING!!! :D

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:49 pm

This is outstanding news for SCV!! I look forward to viewing their future products.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

wow.

Post by clusknay » Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:24 pm

Indeed. Very solid news. It's almost as if SCV is forming a "dream team" of sorts with regards to staff members...It will truely be interesting to see what the design team comes up with for this years program...As usual though, I along with many other alumnus will be very much looking forward to seeing them perform next summer.

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Re: HI Wil

Post by Bass2tubagod » Thu Nov 20, 2003 12:19 pm

Harvey Berish wrote:\I hope they are looking at a more melodious presentation.. this year, frankly I was dissppointed by the stacatto (sic) music which seemed to be tailored to 'fit' drill moves rather than drill molded around the music...Harvey@worldofpageantry.com

The show and music this year actually was based off of a visual idea instead of the other way around so it makes sense that music fit the drill so to speak.
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Re: HI Wil

Post by clusknay » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:31 am

The show and music this year actually was based off of a visual idea instead of the other way around so it makes sense that music fit the drill so to speak.

***Sorry...that was supposed to be a quote from the previous post...but it's being retarted...anyhow...***

Which show would you actually be talking about? Pathways? As far as I know..."M" doesn't design the drill first without the music...he's more traditional, and writes only after the music has been completed...Sure there was probably ideas coming out of the staff with the show title being that of "pathways," but nothing concrete and on paper...that was drawn around the music. I don't know though...could be wrong.

I think you might actually be speaking of the Cavaliers, who do things reverse...and write the drill and then contour the music to the drill.

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bass2tubagod » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:22 pm

Let me specify what I meant. This years Vanguard show was based around a visual concept (especially the opener). The corps starts on two sides of the field then gradually duels its' way together through the first minute and a half of show. This idea was set long before the music to accompany it was even thought of. Orowa (the opener and closer) was then selected as the perfect piece of music to accentuate this visual idea. As far as "M's" drill writing I think the only thing to say is that while being old fashioned, he is always unpredictable and I couldn't imajine anyone even beginning to understand him. So we may have just been interprating this in two different ways. lol
I'm still Red, but blue thoughts are clouding my mind. Those who know drum corps know what I'm talking about.

clusknay
Rookie
Rookie

Okay.

Post by clusknay » Fri Nov 21, 2003 1:56 pm

I still tend to disagree with the fact that the visual idea of splitting the corps across the field...and bringing them together was conceived before the music was decided.

As for the drill being "old fashioned"...yikes. I would really hope that you know what you are talking about to make such a bold comment...but then again...if you did...you wouldn't have made the comment in the first place...oh well.

To each his own.

Bass2tubagod
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Bass2tubagod » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:11 pm

I never said that drill was old fashioned. I was refering to your comment about the drill writer being a little old fashioned which I might add is what I love about him. Please understand that I have nothing but the utmost respect for that amazing corps. lol. So I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way.