NCBA Championships question

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

NCBA Championships question

Post by JenKozy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:47 am

So, I was talking with a few people last night, and we were all wondering how the placements are going to work at champs?

Are the bands going to be awarded by class much like winter season?(Yay!) Or is it the whole whoever wins Sweepstakes is our fall champion? (I sure hope not. Little bands like ours don't stand a chance if that is the case.)

And for Captions like DM, Percussion and Guard. Is it by class? (I hope so) or is it overall? (Yuck)

Does anyone know? And also... packets? Lineups?

Maybe someone who knows the behind the scenes stuff can chime in here.
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Re: NCBA Championships question

Post by Zarathrustra » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:24 am

Well, because the parade is done by school size, it would make sense to me to have the sweepstakes winner the "champion". If they were to do it like the winter season and have the bands classified by skill level, then yes, there should be an individual champion for each division.

As for drum major, I think that would be up to the contest host as to whether to do it by classification or as an overall champion. Personally, I'd prefer that it be done by classification rather than overall for drum major.

Percussion, I think is overall. Like the parade bands, they aren't divided up by size or skill level so an overall champion would be best there in my opinion.

Guard, well, I'm not a guard person.
San Benito Scarlet Regiment
Trombone/Euphonium Section Leader/Student Director:2007-2009
Rifle Regiment-Sousa
The Elephant-Ord Hume arr. Zuniga
Simoraine-Barraclough arr. Zuniga
Boys of the Old Brigade-Chambers arr. Zuniga
Muhledorf-Broadbent arr. Zuniga

clarinetking
Veteran
Veteran

Post by clarinetking » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:33 am

I believe the information has gone out. I know that Louise at Armijo has the complete line-up for parade and field. 20 bands on the street and 16 on field.
"Soup"er man.

The American Indians found out the hard way what happens when you don't control immigration.

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:01 pm

We got our packet today... after I posted this, of course! 8-)

Nothing in it about how the placements are going to be determined.

Anyone? Bueller? (Okay, that dated me.) :oops:

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:31 pm

Wow, that doesn't seem like a lot of bands for a championship. I hope there is not going to be a lot of talk about so and so school not being there because they were better than the champ. You don't show up, you have no reason to be considered one of the top bands in NCBA. It would be like the Blue Devils skipping the DCI chanpionships and saying they were better than everyone else. Okay now everyone give me your reasons why I'm wrong.

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:08 am

bighud1 wrote:Wow, that doesn't seem like a lot of bands for a championship. I hope there is not going to be a lot of talk about so and so school not being there because they were better than the champ. You don't show up, you have no reason to be considered one of the top bands in NCBA. It would be like the Blue Devils skipping the DCI chanpionships and saying they were better than everyone else. Okay now everyone give me your reasons why I'm wrong.
For many of, it would be considered last minutes. I created my schedule for 08-09 in May.

For many of us it's during Thanksgiving Break.

By your reasoning, Golden Valley and Las Plumas/Oroville are NOT amongst the top bands in NCBA. Right. :?
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:54 am

A whole week for Thanksgiving! :shock:

Shoot! When I was in school, we got the short end of the deal. Only Thrusday and Friday off. Man. :td:

Again with the original question... anyone know how placements are going to be done????????

baritoneplayer
Veteran
Veteran

Post by baritoneplayer » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:45 am

PGOK wrote:
bighud1 wrote:Wow, that doesn't seem like a lot of bands for a championship. I hope there is not going to be a lot of talk about so and so school not being there because they were better than the champ. You don't show up, you have no reason to be considered one of the top bands in NCBA. It would be like the Blue Devils skipping the DCI chanpionships and saying they were better than everyone else. Okay now everyone give me your reasons why I'm wrong.
For many of, it would be considered last minutes. I created my schedule for 08-09 in May.

For many of us it's during Thanksgiving Break.

By your reasoning, Golden Valley and Las Plumas/Oroville are NOT amongst the top bands in NCBA. Right. :?
Many band directors do not march their bands this late in the year in the NCBA. GV is one that does not, with the exception being last year when they marched in Fairfield. GV and LPO will be considered amongst the top bands this year in the NCBA regardless of their participation in Champs! And for GV, their work is not done yet as they need to be ready for the Rose Parade! :D

bighud1
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bighud1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Just go ahead and rank them right after the last place band at championships.I knew when NCBA decided to have a championship that a lot of bands wouldn't show up. Just the way it is around here.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:17 pm

can someone post the line up please? :read:
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:36 pm

bighud1 wrote:Just go ahead and rank them right after the last place band at championships.I knew when NCBA decided to have a championship that a lot of bands wouldn't show up. Just the way it is around here.
Ok, if you say so. :rotf:

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:42 pm

bighud1 wrote:Just go ahead and rank them right after the last place band at championships.I knew when NCBA decided to have a championship that a lot of bands wouldn't show up. Just the way it is around here.
why that sounds like a splendid idea! :rotf:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

hmmm all i know is that armijo, jesse bethel, branum, and santa cruz are among the bands going.

our division consists of: Archbishop Riordan, Jesse Bethel, Branum, and Santa Cruz

it's time to duke it out! :jedi: i seriously can't wait to see how much we've improved!
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

Weezie Jay
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Weezie Jay » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:00 pm

We won't know placings until that day unless someone from CHS has that info.

I do know there are a few of us directors that are a bit upset that the divisions are based upon school size rather than average of scores from the fall season.

The only way Armijo, Benicia, Fairfield, and Franklin are going to get an accurate reading of how they compare is to have them back to back. I could have sworn that scores were going to be the basis of classification at the last meeting. It is also possible that I imagined the whole thing. Does anyone else remember that being decided at the meeting?

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:23 pm

it would be so much better if that's what the intention was Louise!

can the board look into it last minute? cause i agree that basing all this by scores is much more effective in accurately evaluating for champs! :|
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:38 am

I talked with Rowland last night. It appears that there will be a champion in each division for bands... and an overall champion, ala sweepstakes.

Then for percussion, guard and DM, it has been suggested to the contest host to do champions for each division, like the bands, but the contest host has the final say in how these are awarded. It may end up being overall in these captions.

On a side bar, I didn't know that contest hosts had the choice on how to award classes at Champs... I understand the choice at band reviews, since I know trophies can be pricey. But choosing the placement system at a chapionship show? Is this what happens in winter??? :|