What band has the best sportsmanship?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

rbv_trumpet05
New Recruit
New Recruit

What band has the best sportsmanship?

Post by rbv_trumpet05 » Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:42 pm

c'mon now i know were all guilty of bad sportsmanship, and this topic isnt to brag about yourselves, but honestly...i wanna read opinions on how other bands sportsmanships are. thanks
RBV TRUMPETS I LOVE YOU ALL!!!

anarcadiaclarinet

Post by anarcadiaclarinet » Tue Oct 14, 2003 8:21 pm

Well, at the recent band tournament that Arcadia has been to, Placentia/Valencia, there were some really, really nice bands out there. I think one of them was Canyon High. We knew that you guys were cheering for us, but we were given an order to stand at attention till the awards were given to us. But, Canyon High (I think that was what they were called) constantly cheered for us and never bad-mouthed us at the end of awards, they clapped for other schools when they won and never spoke ill of the other schools as well (to my knowledge). They came up to us and congratulated us and even made a chant for us, "To the windows, to the walls, Arcadia took it all".

Canyon High, is a model school for showmanship. That, to me, is the greatest example of respect and showmanship for any band.
"Who are we?! BBC! Who Are WE?! BBC!!!"

Trumpiper
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Trumpiper » Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:03 pm

The students from Beyer are always quite nice. I remember their drum major ( back when i marched, was the nicest in the awards arc)

Personal
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Personal » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:01 am

To tell you the honest truth, I think that all groups have pretty good sportsmanship. To go out every week, and play, and then get placed alone, takes guts. But, then to take what you are given, takes great sportsmanship. I have never seen a group that one say "HAHA YOU LOST!!", adn yet I have never seen a group go out and say "CRAP, WE LOST, STUPID fill in group name here. I know, that there are groups out there that say this, but for the most part, there are some pretty sportsman like groups out there. So, good job to all.
Conan: "I really don't think you're that bad of a guy..."

Salesman: "Oh but I am...if you'll remember I just tried to sell you Baboon Adrenaline."

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:32 am

That happened to my group once. I won't mention any schools, but they had just beaten us by a large margin. Thier band taunted us through the night (we were 2A), and were just reall jerks.

However, as we all loaded on the buses, they were decent enough to send over a delegation of people to apologize for thier behavior.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

midavid
Rookie
Rookie

Logan sportsmanship

Post by midavid » Wed Oct 15, 2003 9:26 am

James Logan High School's motto regarding good sportsmanship:

"Be Classy, Not Sassy."

:wink:

TMRsaxyDM
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by TMRsaxyDM » Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:44 pm

Personal wrote:To tell you the honest truth, I think that all groups have pretty good sportsmanship. To go out every week, and play, and then get placed alone, takes guts. But, then to take what you are given, takes great sportsmanship. I have never seen a group that one say "HAHA YOU LOST!!", adn yet I have never seen a group go out and say "CRAP, WE LOST, STUPID fill in group name here. I know, that there are groups out there that say this, but for the most part, there are some pretty sportsman like groups out there. So, good job to all.
i agree with this.. all the bands have been really cool to each other.. that makes me all happy and warm inside.. :D
Pumkin Pie Love..

SKA SKA SKA!

Cheer up emo kid... listen to ska!

Tustin High School TMR Drum Major 04-05

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:41 pm

I just like it when there is a lot of respect between "rivals". Take my old school, for example. When last years championships came around, they made this huge poster wishing us luck. It was such a nice surprise!!!

Then they took a trip somewhere to another state, and we made them a card.

It was just a really great thing.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

yoyo
New Recruit
New Recruit

Woot.

Post by yoyo » Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:17 pm

viewtopic.php?t=176

(See? Rival schools can get along!! :) and show good sportmanship while at it.
I swear I didn't do it! ... Why are you all looking at me funny?....

We be representin' yo, word homie g dawg in the heezy fo'sheezy feelin' wheezy meezy peezy. (I sooo can not act ghetto.)

RBV Rhythm of the Ranch!

drumma
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drumma » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:11 pm

this past weekend i thought mountain view had really good sportsmanship when i met them waiting around to go on for awards at cupertino. they were really nice to talk to and brought over their head drum major to meet us and all kinds of stuff they complimented us on our show as we did them and it was just cool they were really nice and leigh was really excited about all the field stuff they won, but they werent boasting about it like in your face which i appreciated. i really wish all the best to the bands with good sportsmanship that win and are as excited as they should be but dont rub it in other bands faces especially when other bands may have thought their performance was really good, they dont rain on anyone elses parade lol and their captains seemed really nice even though we didnt get to talk to them, everyone was going up to them and they seemed to be keeping conversation extremely well. i remember a few of their students coming up to us last year at del oro when we were just sitting on the hill outside the stadium and talking to us, asking about our show, our drumline and pit *cuz they asked what we played and we told them we were in percussion* so although leigh took home a lot of awards at cupertino, i dont think i wouldve wanted them to go to anyone else, im impressed with leigh not just because of sportsmanship and being nice overall, they do shows that interest people and thats cool. i really hope i get to see their show soon.

just my 2 cents! or... 50 lol
-dani
fhs percussion captain

"the sucking is out" <-WE MISS YOU RICK!!!

G-E-T-N-A-K-E-D
Mallets 02/03/04/05
Pit Captain 03/04/05
Bass #5 Summer 04

TightBuk

Post by TightBuk » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:25 pm

I talked to members from Foothill at Cupertino. They were really nice and accepted compliments very well, and answered questions about their band, and asked us questions too. I haven't seen any negativity between bands yet, and I hope I don't have to. Most of the reason we are all at these competitions is to do something we love, and it's fabulous seeing band members from rival schools, be so friendly together, talking about something they enjoy so much.

MarCHiNbC2004
Veteran
Veteran

Post by MarCHiNbC2004 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:34 pm

Most bands that I've seen have had really good sportsmanship. I enjoy going to comp. and seeing bands cheering for one another and having a good time, that is one of my favorite parts. I think that Rancho Cucamonga marching band has good sportsmanship (prob. cause our schools are close.) But I have seen some bands who have not that great of sportsmanship and that makes me sad :cry:
April 26th is so close!!!!! But it needs to come faster!!!!!!! *last day of school*

"Happiness is like peeing in your pants, everyone can see it but only u can feel it!!!!"
~a wise person
*~*NOOOOO Ken Jennings lost!!!!*~*

CrazyCali8605
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by CrazyCali8605 » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:07 pm

as much as ive witnessed...

id have to say, oside is very good about sportsman ship.

also (i hafta agree with yoyo) Vista is very supportive and courteous to other groups (including us, rbv) i commend them for that seeing as how were sisters/rivals. (why cant we b brother skewls?!? haha) i only hope we are just as courteous and supportive towards vista (and everyone else for that matter)

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:22 pm

Lets not forget the leaders during the awards.

Often will you find another group's leaders saluting another group as they get a high ranking or score.