Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

nanderson78
New Recruit
New Recruit

And the band played on.....too loud!

Post by nanderson78 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:07 am

Hi everyone -

I woke up this morning, arrived on campus, and our Athletic Director came to me and said.."Hey, you made the paper!" So, trying to rack my brain about what we had done to make the paper, I went online to check. And here's what I found :)

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/10 ... 5fbac6.txt

Just as a point of clarification, the football staff at Vista is INCREDIBLE!! The head coach and I get along great. The band and pageantry kids are friends with the football team. We help them with their equipment, they help move ours. It's a really cool relationship.

Just thought I would share with you. Have fun with this one!

Best,
Neil Anderson
Director of Instrumental Music
Vista High School

uci_guy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Re: And the band played on.....too loud!

Post by uci_guy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

i remember we would only play during timeouts and after scores.
drummer

Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suhibandman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:31 am

"Nothing is written down, but it's more of an understanding,'' said CIF San Diego Section commissioner Dennis Ackerman, who refereed high school and college basketball games years ago. "I've seen technical fouls given to home teams a couple of times for not toning down the band, but that was a long time ago."
What a great quote from the CIF Commissioner...

Translation: We don't have any official rules, but the band isn't supposed to cheer or support their school at a sporting event... Why doesn't everyone else get that?

It's even cooler that your football coach was cool about the whole thing too!

Rock on, Neil!

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:05 am

Wow, There must not be much happening in Vista if a reporter can right an entire article on how loud the band was playing, haha!!
You just can't encourage stupidity

jeffmc
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by jeffmc » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:17 am

Jsaxm wrote:Wow, There must not be much happening in Vista if a reporter can right an entire article on how loud the band was playing, haha!!
Read this paper a little more and you will not be surprised. There are many times I have to convince myself that living in North County is not a rural experience.

While I do not know the current football coach at Vista, I am not surprised with Neil's statement about the relationship between the band and football team at that school. The previous head coach, Chris Hauser, came over to start the program at Mission Hills and he is one of the biggest supporters of the music program. Last year he became interested in playing an instrument and came down to the band room to pick which one he wanted to learn, and he still comes by to take a lesson with one of my students. He, along with our entire athletic department, are some of the classiest and most dedicated teachers I know. When it comes to playing during the game, he has told me that more is better, and he would be more than willing to take a penalty if we play too much.
Jeff McNurlan

Schimmy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Schimmy » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:43 am

nanderson78 wrote:Hi everyone -

I woke up this morning, arrived on campus, and our Athletic Director came to me and said.."Hey, you made the paper!" So, trying to rack my brain about what we had done to make the paper, I went online to check. And here's what I found :)

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/10 ... 5fbac6.txt

Just as a point of clarification, the football staff at Vista is INCREDIBLE!! The head coach and I get along great. The band and pageantry kids are friends with the football team. We help them with their equipment, they help move ours. It's a really cool relationship.

Just thought I would share with you. Have fun with this one!

Best,
Neil Anderson
Director of Instrumental Music
Vista High School
This is not too uncommon in our area. I think I get warned at least once a year. The coach and the school loves the support but sometimes we just want to finish something and it takes a little too long.

I really liked the quote about college stadiums being bigger and therefore they aren't as loud on the field. What a load of @#$%! If anything, being surrounded by a cement echo chamber will make it much louder on the field than most high school stadiums which usually have open end zones which really dissipate the sound. That's not even taking into consideration that the college band is usually triple the size of most high schools and know who to blow air through their instruments. Most games we go to we can barely hear the opposing band and they are usually sitting directly across from us.
"The audience is always listening"

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:28 am

So.... anyone remember the 350 member Poway HS Band under Mr. Davis?
Now that... was a LOUD band!

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

dudewheresmycar
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dudewheresmycar » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:46 am

vore wrote:So.... anyone remember the 350 member Poway HS Band under Mr. Davis?
Now that... was a LOUD band!

vore 8-)
I do! I remember watching Poway's Lord of the Rings (de Meij) show as a freshman. Holy cow!

sjyanik
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by sjyanik » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:58 am

Well, it seems like it is happening a lot this year. We also received a warning at our home game against Montclair a couple of weeks ago. The ref. came up to us while we were warming up for our half time show, at the end of the field, facing away from the stadium. Keep in mind we are also a 2A band as well. It was crazy!!! The crowd started yelling at the ref to leave the band alone and pay attention to the game. LOL!! Oh well. I took it as a compliment that we were playing full enough with our numbers to receive a warning. Too funny! Our head coach came over after the game and apologized which was really cool of him to do.

BttrDrummerThanU
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BttrDrummerThanU » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:16 pm

Good Job Neil!!! Go Get 'em!

I've been warned once this season and it was really lame (i was playing during a huddle). Whatever. If they don't want to have a band at a game....send me home. :) I'm all for that.

And hey....IMHO, if they want to penalize a team for a band playing during the play or at the line, it should be spelled out in the rule book. I mean, they write down in there that noisemakers and aren't allowed at games, they may as well write a clause about the band not playing at certain times. Then there wouldn't be any controversy.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Now you just need to whip up a quick chart for Rihanna's "Don't Stop the Music" and play that at the next game. :cool:

Scentiment
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Scentiment » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:44 pm

Haha, this has happened in the small town of Saratoga many a times! Luckily, though, the music program is much bigger than the athletic program here....

Tehre are also the neighbor complaints (cranky old people :lol: ) that spend their time writing articles to the newspaper that the 7am Dr. Beat just isn't going to cut it.

Fore!
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fore! » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:46 pm

TRUE STORY! A local band director was looking for an apartment and went to check out the units across the street from his school. The apt. manager said he would have a nice unit available at the first of the month and that the director was welcome to go look at the unit and talk to the folks that were moving out.

The director asked the folks about the complex - "great people, nice facilities - the only problem is when the high school band practices you hear "Click - Click - Click" for 2 or 3 hours at a time!"

The band director replied, "That won't be a problem for me!"

note: Name of BD withheld to protect the innocent!

Jim Bunselmeier
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jim Bunselmeier » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Three weeks ago we (Don Lugo) were told to stop playing at a home game when the other team had the ball. So much for home field advantage. Our head football checked it out and told me there is not a rule covering a band playing during the game.

We have played when the other team has the ball in two games since with no problems. It sure was a waste of time sitting there for the second half of a game when we could only play during the quarter break and at the end of the game.

crfrey71
Veteran
Veteran

Post by crfrey71 » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:21 pm

Silly!

I guess band is a sport, since the band can receive a 15 yard "unsportmanslike" penalty.

Time we live in today. I wonder if my band (Strongsville) in Ohio still plays the old Budweiser song. I wouldn't be surprised how folks are today that somebody probably has a problem with us playing that now.

FYI, we use to play "Hang on Sloopy" and the Budweiser songs when the game was well in hand in the 4th quarter.

Have you ever seen games like between Grambling and Southern? Those bands play all during the game and the game is actually an afterthought.

Official Photographer of the WGASC
http://www.freyphotos.com
wgascphotos@cox.net