College football

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: College football

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:56 pm

The Aceman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:USC always struggles at Reser Stadium.
Yeah but not when their ranked number 1, almost unanimously.
This is the second time in a row Oregon State has been a national-title contender USC team in Corvallis. The 2006 USC team was ranked #3/#2 when they lost.

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Sat Oct 11, 2008 6:51 pm

O WHO??? How 'bout them Longhorns!!
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:32 pm

Nreuest wrote:O WHO???
O STATE.

Missouri is no longer undefeated, either.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:20 pm

So can someone who knows something about football tell me if SJSU has any chance of going to a bowl game? We won again last night, but I know that doesn't mean much hah.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:02 pm

guardthepiccolo wrote:So can someone who knows something about football tell me if SJSU has any chance of going to a bowl game? We won again last night, but I know that doesn't mean much hah.
Some chance. Your two losses so far are to BCS schools, which is good, but the WAC is such a weak conference in football and you still have to play the two best teams (Boise State and Fresno State). I don't know if 8-4 will be good enough, but if the Spartans win all of their other games and then upset at least one of the two aforementioned teams, 9-3 should be good enough for the WAC bid to the Hawai'i or New Mexico Bowls.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:10 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
The Aceman wrote:Whether the call in that game was bad or not. The penalty really shouldn't have been much of a factor. A 35 yard field goal is still pretty much a chip-in and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have blocked the field goal anyways. The fact of the matter is that BYU came up with a big play when it counted and won the game.
Yes, against a vastly inferior opponent they should have beaten by two touchdowns. BYU was about as impressive as Ohio State.

BYU finishes the season with at least two losses. I'll go on record right now.
TCU smoked BYU tonight, 32-7. 1 down, 1 to go.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:11 pm

Mizzou takes out Texas on Saturday...
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:57 am

seanrj wrote:Mizzou takes out Texas on Saturday...
:evil:
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:57 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
The Aceman wrote:Whether the call in that game was bad or not. The penalty really shouldn't have been much of a factor. A 35 yard field goal is still pretty much a chip-in and there's no reason to think they wouldn't have blocked the field goal anyways. The fact of the matter is that BYU came up with a big play when it counted and won the game.
Yes, against a vastly inferior opponent they should have beaten by two touchdowns. BYU was about as impressive as Ohio State.

BYU finishes the season with at least two losses. I'll go on record right now.
TCU smoked BYU tonight, 32-7. 1 down, 1 to go.
Yup, looks like it's all up to Utah now that BYU and TCU both have one loss, on the other hand....how often do you see THREE MWC teams ranked in the top 25? And the MWC is 6-1 against PAC-10 opponents this season. BYU had all the tools to win against TCU, they just didn't come ready to play like TCU did, threw away what should have been an easy W.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:42 am

Look, I understand you've got the vapors over the Utah teams, but give TCU a little credit. Their only loss has been to Oklahoma. I don't think, under any circumstances, they'd be an "easy W."

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:52 am

Wasn't trying to imply that they were a bad team in anyway, I'm just saying that it's a game BYU came into as the favorites and they didn't even come to play, they should have stayed on the bus, it was a horrible game. Maybe an easy win was an overstatement, but don't read into it too deeply, I don't always choose my words that carefully.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:24 am

Well, BYU still has to play San Diego State. Look up "easy win" in the dictionary and you'll see a picture of the 2008 Aztecs. :roll:

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:40 pm

What a great game between Texas and Texas Tech.

Congratulations to the Red Raiders. I wonder if they'll leap over an idle Penn State for #2 come Sunday.
-Stop global whining.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:09 am

I don't think they should. I like to look at a team's entire season to judge where I think they should be ranked. I don't care for the "who's playing the best right now" approach. Penn State hasn't had any close games against largely inferior opponents and Texas Tech's OT win against lowly Nebraska (I love saying that!) sticks out like a sore thumb.

Of course, Penn State, like u$c, has the misfortune of playing in a weak league this year. With games coming up against 2 more top-ten teams, Texas Tech will probably leap them in the BCS.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:50 am

Chapagne wrote:I don't think they should. I like to look at a team's entire season to judge where I think they should be ranked. I don't care for the "who's playing the best right now" approach. Penn State hasn't had any close games against largely inferior opponents and Texas Tech's OT win against lowly Nebraska (I love saying that!) sticks out like a sore thumb.

Of course, Penn State, like u$c, has the misfortune of playing in a weak league this year. With games coming up against 2 more top-ten teams, Texas Tech will probably leap them in the BCS.
And they should. I would pick Nebraska over seven or eight of the teams in the Big 10 this season. Going 9-0 in the Big 10 and 9-0 in the Big 12 are not the same thing, as the Big 12 is the best conference in the country this season (yes, even better than the oft-glorified SEC).