NEW Nigerian Email Scam

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

NEW Nigerian Email Scam

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:42 pm

(From "The Nation")

So usually these type of emails seem fake, but I think this one might be real. I just received it today:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Subject: URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

DEAR AMERICAN:

I NEED TO ASK YOU TO SUPPORT AN URGENT SECRET BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH A TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF GREAT MAGNITUDE.

I AM MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY OF THE REPUBLIC OF AMERICA. MY COUNTRY HAS HAD CRISIS THAT HAS CAUSED THE NEED FOR LARGE TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF 800 BILLION DOLLARS US. IF YOU WOULD ASSIST ME IN THIS TRANSFER, IT WOULD BE MOST PROFITABLE TO YOU.

I AM WORKING WITH MR. PHIL GRAM, LOBBYIST FOR UBS, WHO WILL BE MY REPLACEMENT AS MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY IN JANUARY. AS A SENATOR, YOU MAY KNOW HIM AS THE LEADER OF THE AMERICAN BANKING DEREGULATION MOVEMENT IN THE 1990S. THIS TRANSACTIN IS 100% SAFE.

THIS IS A MATTER OF GREAT URGENCY. WE NEED A BLANK CHECK. WE NEED THE FUNDS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. WE CANNOT DIRECTLY TRANSFER THESE FUNDS IN THE NAMES OF OUR CLOSE FRIENDS BECAUSE WE ARE CONSTANTLY UNDER SURVEILLANCE. MY FAMILY LAWYER ADVISED ME THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY PERSON WHO WILL ACT AS A NEXT OF KIN SO THE FUNDS CAN BE TRANSFERRED.

PLEASE REPLY WITH ALL OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, IRA AND COLLEGE FUND ACCOUNT NUMBERS AND THOSE OF YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN TO WALLSTREETBAILOUT@TREASURY.GOV SO THAT WE MAY TRANSFER YOUR COMMISSION FOR THIS TRANSACTION. AFTER I RECEIVE THAT INFORMATION, I WILL RESPOND WITH DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT SAFEGUARDS THAT WILL BE USED TO PROTECT THE FUNDS.

YOURS FAITHFULLY MINISTER OF TREASURY PAULSON

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Re: NEW Nigerian Email Scam

Post by JazzGeek » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Hostrauser wrote:(From "The Nation")

So usually these type of emails seem fake, but I think this one might be real. I just received it today:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 1:18 PM
Subject: URGENT BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP

DEAR AMERICAN:

I NEED TO ASK YOU TO SUPPORT AN URGENT SECRET BUSINESS RELATIONSHIP WITH A TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF GREAT MAGNITUDE.

I AM MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY OF THE REPUBLIC OF AMERICA. MY COUNTRY HAS HAD CRISIS THAT HAS CAUSED THE NEED FOR LARGE TRANSFER OF FUNDS OF 800 BILLION DOLLARS US. IF YOU WOULD ASSIST ME IN THIS TRANSFER, IT WOULD BE MOST PROFITABLE TO YOU.

I AM WORKING WITH MR. PHIL GRAM, LOBBYIST FOR UBS, WHO WILL BE MY REPLACEMENT AS MINISTRY OF THE TREASURY IN JANUARY. AS A SENATOR, YOU MAY KNOW HIM AS THE LEADER OF THE AMERICAN BANKING DEREGULATION MOVEMENT IN THE 1990S. THIS TRANSACTIN IS 100% SAFE.

THIS IS A MATTER OF GREAT URGENCY. WE NEED A BLANK CHECK. WE NEED THE FUNDS AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE. WE CANNOT DIRECTLY TRANSFER THESE FUNDS IN THE NAMES OF OUR CLOSE FRIENDS BECAUSE WE ARE CONSTANTLY UNDER SURVEILLANCE. MY FAMILY LAWYER ADVISED ME THAT I SHOULD LOOK FOR A RELIABLE AND TRUSTWORTHY PERSON WHO WILL ACT AS A NEXT OF KIN SO THE FUNDS CAN BE TRANSFERRED.

PLEASE REPLY WITH ALL OF YOUR BANK ACCOUNT, IRA AND COLLEGE FUND ACCOUNT NUMBERS AND THOSE OF YOUR CHILDREN AND GRANDCHILDREN TO WALLSTREETBAILOUT@TREASURY.GOV SO THAT WE MAY TRANSFER YOUR COMMISSION FOR THIS TRANSACTION. AFTER I RECEIVE THAT INFORMATION, I WILL RESPOND WITH DETAILED INFORMATION ABOUT SAFEGUARDS THAT WILL BE USED TO PROTECT THE FUNDS.

YOURS FAITHFULLY MINISTER OF TREASURY PAULSON
Since when do we have ministers? I thought they were secretaries.....LOL :jester:

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:48 pm

E-mail scams from Africa have been going on for years. If you are single, male, and over 45, watch out for the ones that come from young American women who are "stuck" in Lagos, working for South African developers. Or she might be a South African woman, living in Namibia, who needs "help" with something. Then, there is the absolute worst: The woman who needs you to give her financial advice about a rare piece of jewelry that belonged to her recently deceased grandmother.

If you feel you must write to someone in Africa, be careful. South Africa and Egypt are still fairly safe.

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gonzofoto » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:32 pm

Granted, there are many scams out there, but the point of the original post was to present a satirical exercise whereby the proposed bailout of the Wall Street firms was likened to a cheap scam job such as all of us receive in our email accounts on a daily basis.

Soapbox moment: I have to say I am outraged by this bailout, especially in light of the excesses of corporate culture and the custom of paying extravagant salaries to people who run their companies into the ground. As they say, the lamentable custom has been to privatize profit and socialize losses, and to address this there has to be a stronger regulatory structure to prevent this recurring feeding frenzy at the public trough.

Mr. McCain's economic advisor, Carly Fiorina, is a case in point with regards to the weakness of this corporate culture: a CEO who led an ill-advised merger of HP with Compaq, who was a contentious and short-sighted leader who cut thousands of jobs and depressed the value of Hewlet-Packard stock, and yet when she was finally ousted in 2005 was given a 21 million dollar golden parachute. See article here.

The idea of the public having to subsidize similar payouts to the CEOs of Goldman Sachs and other Wall Street firms that are on the ropes, to stabilize these firms and allow them to continue in their ways without any sufficient control or ownership on our part, is intolerable. End of soapbox moment.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:36 pm

I think you should go for it...

It sounds totally legit :lol: :lol: :lol:

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:59 pm

bassoonuba wrote:I think you should go for it...

It sounds totally legit :lol: :lol: :lol:
If the guy in [edited by censor]that eggshell building[edited by censor] has his way, we'll all be paying into this latest Nigerian e-mail scam.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 am

Gonzofoto wrote:Granted, there are many scams out there, but the point of the original post was to present a satirical exercise whereby the proposed bailout of the Wall Street firms was likened to a cheap scam job such as all of us receive in our email accounts on a daily basis.
God bless you. This thread was about to bring me to tears.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:46 pm

Little known fact: People in Europe are getting scams from America claiming to need help to pay off that 700 billion. :lol:
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:34 am

Why don't they take that money and use it to pay off peoples mortgage's? If people can get out of debt, they will be more willing to spend money again and stimulate the economy. I know this idea is so crazy, it just might work. Too bad it'll never happen. I love how Bush said we need to avoid an economic recession....I thought to myself, "Avoid? We're already in an f'in recession, are you blind?" One thing I know for sure is that the geniuses that got us into this mess, aren't the people that should be making the plans to get us out. Obviously their economic plans are flawed.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Gonzofoto
Rookie
Rookie

Politics and sausage: what you don't see will hurt you

Post by Gonzofoto » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:07 pm

The failure of Washington Mutual, as well as the turmoil surrounding the Wall Street bailout (which is being negotiated behind closed doors) and continued bad news concerning plummeting housing values and rising unemployment, in conjunction with political grandstanding, are leaving me with a queasy feeling that the worst is yet to come.