Legendary Drum Majors

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Legendary dm's

Post by vore » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:12 pm

DM Fan wrote:I also remember him selling his Excellon batons from an address that had "Suite G" included as part of the address. I asked him once what that was when I was at his home and he told me it meant "garage".
I like this...

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

dmkid:)

Post by dmkid:) » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:51 pm

I think my favorites are
Israel Benavidez
Elizabeth Connelly
Jennifer Tran
Alan Riley
Rocky Ehrich
Brennan England
Jason Paguio
Miriam Lieu

And others that I cant remember x]

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:53 pm

hmmm.. i dont recall seeing this name on there.
I think he's amazing, such a nice guy and he knows what he's talking about... basically no word to describe him and to me, he's up there on the list for me

Rusty Givens =D!!!!!
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

MasterT
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MasterT » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:15 pm

AzhlackDMPiccolo wrote:hmmm.. i dont recall seeing this name on there.
I think he's amazing, such a nice guy and he knows what he's talking about... basically no word to describe him and to me, he's up there on the list for me

Rusty Givens =D!!!!!
I CONCOUR!!! :D
Once a drum major, always a drum major.

Muzyx4me

Re:

Post by Muzyx4me » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:58 am

tooweird wrote:ummm dunno if she's been mentioned...well this isn't my expertise...but Danielle Battisti of Atwater HS swept every band review she's been to in nor cal as drum major...i think that's pretty legendary
I agree. She graduated in June so she won't be with Atwater. She was not only beat out military dm's, but mace too for two and a half years. But she wasn't just a great spinner, she was a fantastic leader. I've heard from judges and directors that she is the role model for other dm's. Diirectors wanted their dm wanna-be's to watch her and get tips. She was always ready to coach anyone.

If you met her, you'd think okay she's nice, but on the street...she commands it. If you didn't get to see her perform, you missed out on an experience. I think she went to college somewhere. I don't know if she's gonna do anything with the band.

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Legendary Drum Majors

Post by DMJUDGE » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:44 am

luckily for those of you that missed it, a fan of hers has posted about every spinning event she appeared in (ok so not every one, but there is a ton) on youtube.
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

Muzyx4me

Post by Muzyx4me » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:31 am

DMJUDGE wrote:luckily for those of you that missed it, a fan of hers has posted about every spinning event she appeared in (ok so not every one, but there is a ton) on youtube.
I went to youtube, thanks. Take a look at the channel. Its called Drum Major Mom. The channel is from her mom and she states it pretty plain that she is proud of her daughtr. Wow she even works with fire.

D.M. #57
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by D.M. #57 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Well there have been some really good drum majors listed on this topic. But in my opinion there were a group of DMs this last past year that will be legends in my mind.

Andrew Park (Whittney HS)
Arturo Herrra (Glendora)
Joyce Marie David (Notre Dame HS)
Christina Nyugen (Savanah HS)

and some up and comming DM's:

Dillon Arreola
Katty Coggins
Luis Moreno
and many more...
D.M. #57

dmkid:)

Post by dmkid:) » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:31 pm

D.M. #57 wrote:Well there have been some really good drum majors listed on this topic. But in my opinion there were a group of DMs this last past year that will be legends in my mind.

Andrew Park (Whittney HS)
Arturo Herrra (Glendora)
Joyce Marie David (Notre Dame HS)
Christina Nyugen (Savanah HS)
Ah I definetly agree with you
I really liked all the people in the mace majors and masters
And the apprentices and everyone else haha :yeah:

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Re:

Post by Kuxica » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:47 pm

mikekimchi wrote:oh wow...I was searching the web for some competition dates (haven't been to a parade or L-pattern in years and I'd love to see how the styles and trends have changed, and what traditions have stuck), and I happened on this site...where I'm mentioned?! I'm that guy from Montebello, Mike Kim. I'd hardly consider myself a possible candidate for this thread's list, but I thank you for even knowing who I am. I must agree, Robert Alcala is truly a legend and a great teacher, as are Tom Peacock, Rusty Givens, Wendy Tye, and oh so many others for all the right reasons.

Thanks for helping me remember the good ol' days. I'll always be a bandgeek at heart (and I say that only with affection).
Mike, You are truly an inspiration to watch. I watched you from the sidelines of almost every event back in High School and you have always come out on top..... Although we did British Mace at BVHS, It was always refreshing to see you in action. :bow: your spinning back when MOB did the Marquette University at Maytime nearly made me crap my pants. The respect for your talent is rightfully deserved.

Kuxica
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

Danyo

Post by Danyo » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:05 am

Let me begin by saying that I came to this thread first from watching old L Patterns on youtube tonight, which took me down memory lane from some x amount of years. And while searching for old friends I ended up here. And although I've googled my name so many times in the last ten years, somehow this page always evaded me.

I competed on the L Pattern circuit from 1989 to 1994, and I can say that I was easily the most dominant drum major of the military baton in the L Pattern of my time (though I also competed in mace, conducting, and show). In the spring of 1990 I was in 8th grade and competed a few times, and won only one or two trophies. From my freshman year to my senior year, the only time I did not win a trophy was the very first competition of my freshman year. I competed every week of the season, and during my time as a competitor I won exactly 100 trophies, and exactly 50 of them are first place awards.

I won the California State Championship in the Military Masters division in 1991, 1992, and 1994 (in 1993 I won second place to Jason Hum).

This thread is some four years old, and my name has been mentioned twice. Once as part of a list of "legendary drum majors" and once as part of a glib memoir of an individual: I'll call him the Critic. I thought I'd address this forum, and put in a few thoughts (though I realize no one really cares!).

First, thanks for the honorable mention to the individual who named and recognized my talent.
Secondly, in response to the Critic who had a negative view of me, allow me to make a few comments. Below is the quote by my Critic concerning my behavior in 1991:

Undertaker wrote:Ok almost everyone that people have posted can be called legendary but I have a problem with Daniel Munoz. There is no problem with thinking your the best but when you win beat Drum Majors like Abel Acosta at state and when you go to receive you trophie and jump up and down like u just won the super bowl that is just disrespectful. I lost a respect for Daniel at that point. To me Abel Acosta is a legend. Hell when i go to Drum Major comps almost every drum major is using his moves. Were is the originallity. As far as Im concerned there is none.

In 1991 I was a freshman in high school, and Abel Acosta was a senior. Although I had a really good year in the circuit, I had no idea that I would win the State Championship. The reason I won in 1991 was not because I was the best that year, but because Abel had dropped. Still, I was not prepared to win, and so when I heard my name, I did exactly as the description above says that I did: I jumped up and down excitedly and accepted my award with a huge mirthful grin on my face. This was not to "stick it" to my opponents, but out of sheer dumbfoundedness - I was shocked! Abel was not only someone I respected, he was someone I looked up to at the time. When basketball players were shooting hoops in the name of Magic Johnson, I was spinning the baton to the names of Abel Acosta, Nathan Wielandt (the reason I love OMD), Jason Kelleher, and Jason Hum (who received second place in 1991 and first place in 1993).

Concerning "originality," I must admit that I learned from the best. But I can also say with confidence that I pioneered and innovated more new moves and spins than anyone during my time, though certainly there were others who brought much to the "sport."

As a 14 year-old freshman with severe ADHD, I competed in the drum major circuit, ironically, because my grades were terrible, and spinning a baton was one thing I could focus on and excel at; and therefore my parents allowed me to continue. I barely graduated high school in 1994 with much less than a 2.00 GPA. So I've been slammed, flamed, debased, whatever because I got excited after having won the most prestigious award in solo military baton spinning. In every other sport it's ok to jump up and down and cheer when you win; but when you wear the uniform - the high school band uniform - you are expected to keep yourself composed: celebration is wrong.

But what makes a great drum major? Let's read what my Critic has to say:

Undertaker wrote: winning state does not make u a legend its the way you present yourself and the way you treat others.

Ok, so really the question is: what makes a legendary drum major? And my Critic answers the question above. However, allow me to point out that on the scoring card there are no points for leadership, friendliness, likability, affability, geniality and so forth. So what is it that we're talking about on the L Pattern?

Let me confess that I was never the drum major of any school, although I was the assistant drum major for the Santa Ana Winds for a brief time. The point is that being a drum major for an organization is the place for having leadership and so forth. The reason why I was never appointed drum major in Jr High or High School was because I was deemed too immature for the position - this is a fact. However, the L Pattern is a sport. Anyone can compete so long as they pay the fee.

To conclude: was I - three-time California State Grand Champion of the Military Masters division - a legend?

If by "legendary drum major" we mean "great leader" then admittedly I lose horribly. Though I always treated my fellow competitors with dignity and respect, and I was friendly with almost all of them.

If by "legendary drum major" we mean three-time California State Grand Champion of the Military Masters division, and perhaps the most decorated baton spinner in the history of Peacock's L Pattern competition, then I win the sweepstakes!

Verily, I wouldn't trade those high school grunge years of mine for anything, no matter how many times I was physically beaten up by many, including my Critic quoted above, who was also a close personal friend of mine even years after I had won my first championship at age 14 in 1991.

Daniel L Muñoz
1991 California State Grand Champion, Military Masters
1992 California State Grand Champion, Military Masters
1994 California State Grand Champion, Military Masters

2003 BA Music Theory, Philosophy
2005 MA Musicology
PhD Musicology (in progress)

http://www.myspace.com/danyosound
http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php#/p ... =770390454

This post brought to you by Boredom (not spite)

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Like we didn't get the idea you were a three-time California State Champion the first five times you said it. Way to toot your own horn, bud.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

mikekimchi
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by mikekimchi » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:14 pm

Kuxica, your words are very kind and appreciated. BVHS...I'm guessing that's Bonita Vista? I remember your performance (or what I saw of it on video the next Monday in class) to be worthy of your sweepstakes award. WOOHOO!

Damn...I do miss band and spinning. And I must say, I miss seeing the old styles. Things have changed so much since then.

Marianas, eh? Hope the weather's been good there.
Band geek por vida

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:07 pm

soooo... who is the person that that one person who posted that we missed someone??????? it' sbeen over a while lol!!!!!!! i wanna knowwwww
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:33 pm

AzhlackDMPiccolo wrote:soooo... who is the person that that one person who posted that we missed someone??????? it' sbeen over a while lol!!!!!!! i wanna knowwwww

eh?
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.