Pet peeves

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Pet peeves

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:57 pm

Right now the water in my apartment has been running on/off and its really annoying. my roommate just took a dump and can't flush the toilet. On Monday I went for a run, the water was off when I got back so I couldn't take a shower till the next morning. Theres some sort of construction going on in the street near by. Its kinda lame they don't give us prior warning our water is going bye bye.
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: Pet peeves

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:03 pm

tmi on the dump part. :flush:

I've been complaining to the city for years about the lack of synchronization of traffic signals. I typically hit EVERY SINGLE ONE red. (My secondary royal name is "Red Light Queen".) There is no pattern or "magic" mph to hit even 1/8th of them green. Talk about a waste of gas and time.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:08 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:tmi on the dump part. :flush:

I've been complaining to the city for years about the lack of synchronization of traffic signals. I typically hit EVERY SINGLE ONE red. (My secondary royal name is "Red Light Queen".) There is no pattern or "magic" mph to hit even 1/8th of them green. Talk about a waste of gas and time.
I actually don't know if he took a dump or not. Either way its gonna stink when the water is back on.
WHS '05, UCSB '10

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:57 pm

No more free/ultra-cheap stuff because double coupons are effectively gone. Curse you Vons and Ralphs! :td:
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am

Chapagne wrote:No more free/ultra-cheap stuff because double coupons are effectively gone. Curse you Vons and Ralphs! :td:
And speaking of coupons. I went to Vons the other day and of course they only had one of their 15 checkstands open, as usual, god knows why they installed the other 14...anyways, I was just purchasing one item, but had to wait behind this lady who had a cart full of groceries. It takes a while to ring her up and when he is finally done I was excited. Excited prematurely as it turned out, because then the lady pulls out a stack of AT LEAST 30 coupons. So then I had to wait for him to scan all those (and of course half of them don't scan right so they have to be entered in manually), and then to top it of, when she goes to pay she whips out the ole checkbook and WRITES A FRICKIN' CHECK. Come on people that's why they have Check Cards these days.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:11 am

The Aceman wrote:
Chapagne wrote:No more free/ultra-cheap stuff because double coupons are effectively gone. Curse you Vons and Ralphs! :td:
And speaking of coupons. I went to Vons the other day and of course they only had one of their 15 checkstands open, as usual, god knows why they installed the other 14...anyways, I was just purchasing one item, but had to wait behind this lady who had a cart full of groceries. It takes a while to ring her up and when he is finally done I was excited. Excited prematurely as it turned out, because then the lady pulls out a stack of AT LEAST 30 coupons. So then I had to wait for him to scan all those (and of course half of them don't scan right so they have to be entered in manually), and then to top it of, when she goes to pay she whips out the ole checkbook and WRITES A FRICKIN' CHECK. Come on people that's why they have Check Cards these days.
hahahahaha ... NOT. I lost my check card and had to write checks for about 2 weeks. Never again because I got the "evil eye" from everyone behind me (probably Aceman).

Anywho ... another "line" pet peeve is like the trip to Office Depot this last week. Register #1 cashier was "busy" showing a guy the pens they have locked away in the display case (like why in the heck do then need to lock up the pens but they leave the multi-million dollar electronic equipment out?) and she sent us to the Print Center checkout which had 12 people in line and another 4 waiting for Print Services. The Manager was "busy" at the front "Customer Service" Desk (note the irony here) helping a woman read the catalog. After standing in line for 30 minutes I finally walked over the the manager and told him to get someone on a register. THAT person (who was the Asst Mgr and had been on break in the back) took people behind us so eventually we were the last in our line. The Print Shop cashier looked at the guy ahead of us and said ...
"I'll take you but after that I'm off for the day ..." (then looking at us) "... You'll need to go over to that register (pointing at the one we went to originally)." 45 minutes to purchase 2 binders, paper clips, and a map of Moreno Valley that cost a whopping $18.50 total???!!! :evil:

The pet peeve is if you are going to run a retail business, PUT ENOUGH PEOPLE ON CHECKOUT!!

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:45 pm

The Aceman wrote:I went to Vons the other day and of course they only had one of their 15 checkstands open, as usual, god knows why they installed the other 14...
Is that, like, part of Vons' corporate mission? Because the one in my neighborhood is the same way. If you stop by between 8-10p you're frickin' doomed because they never have more than 2-3 registers open and there's ALWAYS (literally, every night of the week) 200+ people in the store. I had to buy something one night and counted: I was the 22nd person in my line at I was in the shortest of the three checkstand lines.

And you think they'd catch on and schedule more cashiers for nights, but nope. Seven nights a week, any time I've been in there over the past four years they've been woefully understaffed with checkers.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:17 pm

Well, despite the coupon back-stabbery, I'll shoot some love Vons' way. I don't have any problems with waiting too long for checkers. My local one is good about opening up new stands when the need arises.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:15 pm

New pet peeve ... when a credit card company hires outside the United States to make collection calls ... :evil:
1) No I do not speak Chinese, Indian, Arabian, or any other language other than English ... THEY might not live in the USA, but I do. I don't think it's too much to ask that they ask me for money in English.
2) 3 pm THERE is NOT 3 pm here ... it's more like 2 am and calling me at 2 am to ask for money is illegal.
3) NO I will NOT pay by phone. I don't know who these people really are and why do they expect me to give them my bank account number and person info over the phone? and to someone 13,000 miles away yet?!
4) If said call is a computer that tells ME to hold for a live operator, I hang up on it. If a live person can't call me to beg for money, then forget it. ... and 15 computerized calls in 4 hours is harrassment no matter what they say.
5) The payment was due today ... why are you calling me today? When I say it's in the mail or enroute via online banking or that I have you set up on autopayment every 30 days, believe me and don't call me back in 4 hours to ask again. Wait until the payment is at least 10 days past the due date.
So ... :td: to credit card computers and outsourcing.

Oh yeah ... and it does not take a computerized phone call to ask me where a $15 payment is. I can understand $200 or more, but $15? Good Lord!

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:05 am

I used to work at a call center. Once I accidentally dialed a number on the east coast at 10PM PST. Ooops! This person's number was mixed in with a bunch of people from Hawaii.
WHS '05, UCSB '10

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:34 am

Hahaha. So I just moved into an apartment with my best friend, so we've been talking about(and will soon discover) each other's pet peeves. One of mine is definitely finding her naps in the shower/sink. She's been good about it so far, but I've seen her house and when her family's naps are everywhere, just grosses me out. It starts lookin like other types of hair :vomit:
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:06 pm

i notice a lot of complaints are about waiting in lines. lines are a part of life we all have to deal with..... but companies can make it easier.

i work at the united states' second largest retailer, and we have a major problem. our lines are like a supermarket's.... 1 cashier to 1 line. this is horrible. that means you need to choose a line when you go to check out. who knows how well you will pick. you might get some hot shot that will you get you out of there in no time.... or you might get a slow, dumb, lazy person that doesnt really care about how fast they go. the person in front of you might have a credit card decline, or they might want to pay i pennies.... who cares? the point is, youre stuck.

Here is what needs to change. we need to switch over to the single queue. the single queue is what banks, bestbuy, and frys use. it is faster and more efficient. if one cashier or customer is slow, it doesnt affect the line as much because the line can continue on regardless of what the problem may be. 3 cashiers can get through the same amount of ppl as 5 cashiers in a traditional lane.

our self checkout has a single queue for 4 machines, and it always seems to move faster.

pet peeves:
ppl sneezing or coughing
yawning
random cursing
loud music in the car
loud restaurants
hiccups
quitters
ppl that let their kids run wild
ppl that are rude for no reason
ppl that feel whatever they are doing is the most important thing ever
lazy ppl
ppl that make a lot of money that dont deserve to

tSz42

Post by tSz42 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 pm

cymtech wrote:pet peeves:
ppl sneezing or coughing
yawning
random cursing
loud music in the car
loud restaurants
hiccups
quitters
lazy ppl
I guess I'm not going to take you to a nice restaurant because I'm sure it will involve at least 92% of your pet peeves listed.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:13 pm

tSz42 wrote:
cymtech wrote:pet peeves:
ppl sneezing or coughing
yawning
random cursing
loud music in the car
loud restaurants
hiccups
quitters
lazy ppl
I guess I'm not going to take you to a nice restaurant because I'm sure it will involve at least 92% of your pet peeves listed.

i hate you....

and taco treat isnt a nice restaurant....

aLL your BASS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by aLL your BASS » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:02 pm

Soap bar livers...
snuh, guh, munch...NYEAH! =)