Michael Phelps wins 8 gold medals!!!!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Michael Phelps wins 8 gold medals!!!!

Post by The Aceman » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:19 pm

Just got done watching history in the making! Phelps sets an Olympic record for most medals won by one individual in the Olympics. And it was an exciting race too. Smashed the old world record to win it to. Amazing sports moment. Hope you didn't miss it.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Michael Phelps wins 8 gold medals!!!!

Post by Hostrauser » Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:46 pm

I didn't miss it.

Hope you also didn't miss Usain Bolt of Jamaica absolutely annihilating the rest of the world in the 100m dash. He was so far ahead he started thumping his chest and celebrating with 10-15m to go, and still broke the World Record. It was like watching Secretariat, no one else even deserved to be in the race.

Marianne
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Marianne » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:29 am

Hostrauser wrote:I didn't miss it.

It was like watching Secretariat, no one else even deserved to be in the race.
Except Secretariat didn't showboat with 10-15m to go in the race. Bolt was amazing. But, he was also lucky he didn't suffer the same fate as the USA Snowboarder who had Gold in the bag, showboated, fell, and lost the race to the person focused on doing the job.
BK Rifle 68-74
Trooper Sis '84
Trooper Aunt '05

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:08 am

I didn't miss Bolt either, running at speeds in excess of 30 MPH!! He looked completely calm and confident before the race, and I don't think focus was an issue for him, he was so far ahead when he started celebrating he knew he'd won. Besides running comes a bit more naturally than snowboarding, so I don't think putting your hands out and thumping your chest while your running is putting your win in much jeopardy.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Marianne
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by Marianne » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:36 am

Oh I dunno. I do quite well just walking down the street and catching my sneakers on the sidewalk. I can't imagine what going at that velocity, then altering your balance even if just to the point of turning slightly sideways to thump your chest and celebrate.......I know if it were me, I'd probably have ended up face first on the track. :P

And that snowboarder was way out in front too, and apparantly thought there was plenty of room to celebrate before the finish line. And, well.....there wasn't. :twisted:
BK Rifle 68-74
Trooper Sis '84
Trooper Aunt '05

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:25 pm

i wouldnt miss it for anything =D that was amazing. HE IS AMAZING!!!!!!! :lol:
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:26 pm

The Aceman wrote:I didn't miss Bolt either, running at speeds in excess of 30 MPH!! He looked completely calm and confident before the race, and I don't think focus was an issue for him, he was so far ahead when he started celebrating he knew he'd won. Besides running comes a bit more naturally than snowboarding, so I don't think putting your hands out and thumping your chest while your running is putting your win in much jeopardy.
Well, as much as I agree with you, I also disagree with you. No matter how far ahead of the competition you are it isn't over until you cross the finish line. Anything can happen until you cross that line.
You just can't encourage stupidity

aLL your BASS
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by aLL your BASS » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:05 am

Sorry I'm making this more off-off topic...but did anybody catch the picture on msn that Bolt's shoelace was untied in the 100M?
snuh, guh, munch...NYEAH! =)

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 am

Yep.

I was watching the NBC highlights a few nights ago and they showed the US Women's Eight Crew (Rowing) on the medal stand. Holy crap that's a group of girls I wouldn't want to mess with. :shock:

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:00 am

Hostrauser wrote:Yep.
I was watching the NBC highlights a few nights ago and they showed the US Women's Eight Crew (Rowing) on the medal stand. Holy crap that's a group of girls I wouldn't want to mess with. :shock:
That brings up a memory ... Home Depot is a great place to work if you want to rub elbows with sports types. They hire and support over 600 athletes each Olympics. With that said, I worked with one of the Eight Crew rowers back in the late 80's/early 90's. Sweetest and nicest person you'll ever meet, but dang she was buff!!! LOL.

By the way Hostrauser ... the U.S. Olympic Training Center is in your backyard in Chula Vista. The facility supports many sports, including archery, bobsledding, canoeing/kayaking, cycling, field hockey, luge, rowing, rugby, skiing/snowboarding, soccer, softball, tri-athlon, and various Paralympic sports.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:13 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:With that said, I worked with one of the Eight Crew rowers back in the late 80's/early 90's. Sweetest and nicest person you'll ever meet, but dang she was buff!!! LOL.
I believe it. Only one of this year's eight rowers was under six-feet tall, and they were all in the 175-200 pound range.
fieldshowqueen wrote:By the way Hostrauser ... the U.S. Olympic Training Center is in your backyard in Chula Vista. The facility supports many sports, including archery, bobsledding, canoeing/kayaking, cycling, field hockey, luge, rowing, rugby, skiing/snowboarding, soccer, softball, tri-athlon, and various Paralympic sports.
I was aware of that, yes. But it's not quite my backyard, as it's 30-45 minutes from my house. It's (intentionally) pretty out of the way! There was some discussion last year about building a new Chargers stadium out by the USOTC, but the whiny NIMBYs prevailed.