Olympic opening ceremony

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Olympic opening ceremony

Post by seanrj » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:41 pm

The opening ceremony is awesome. Very impressive show.

However, I cannot stand bob costas or matt lauer. I really wish they would zip it and let us listen to the music...

WOO10's my Idol
Veteran
Veteran

Post by WOO10's my Idol » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:20 pm

i have never heard of like half of the nations marching in!!
ahaha

does anybody know what part of the ceremonies james logan took part in?
When life gives you lemons,
Make Orange Juice.
Then leave the world wondering
how the hell you did it.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:03 am

that was the most amazing ceremony ever! 8-)

i'd like to see london top that =)
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:10 am

Well ... here I was this morning in IM with a friend from England who was watching the opening LIVE and describing it to me. NBC should be shot for the decision to delay broadcast 12 hours. AND we get a chopped version because some corp suit decides that certain countries aren't popular enough so we get a commercial instead so they can recoup their $900 million investment. Sheesh! 900 channels, satellite and internet, the richest country in the world and we get tape delay??!!

Ok ... rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled Olympic coverage (right after this commercial break).

And we' back ... thank you. That was absolutely an awesome opening ceremony. Thank goodness fireworks are made in China. Importing that many would have set back their entire defense budget for a few decades. LOL.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:47 am

I especially appreciate the fact that NBC went to commercial half way through the US delegation.

Again, costas and lauer are annoying. They need to learn to keep their mouths shut.
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:38 am

seanrj wrote:I especially appreciate the fact that NBC went to commercial half way through the US delegation.
Again, costas and lauer are annoying. They need to learn to keep their mouths shut.
Or that every athlete shot was of one person out of 600 plus?!? :roll: Although I agree with you on Costas and Lauer, I am glad they read the script and gave us some of the background on the "meaning" of some of what we were seeing. I usually "get it" but I'm not into Chinese history or religions so that was appreciated to a point. Except when they talked over the music ... grrrrrrrr.

One thing that was insane (besides the other stuff that was insane) was the guy who lit the torch hanging by 2 threads 500 ft above everyone. Dayung!

JenKozy
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by JenKozy » Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:56 pm

Awesome!

Costas and Lauer need muzzels.

Where was Logan???
I am NOT too old for this!

I'd rather be Dreaming... in a tree.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:15 pm

I found the incredibly high quality show to be ironic considering the incredibly low quality junk that most of China manufactures for export.

I guess we know now the good stuff stays home, eh?
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:10 am

Heh. No, all the stuff they send out is good. Unfortunately, not only is everything made in China, but apparently everything only works in China too. You ever see them complaining about shoddy craftsmanship of their products?
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:03 pm

The opening ceremonies were one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Can you imagine the rehearsing it must have taken to coordinate that many people to perform with such precision? I know a lot of us are used to doing something like it with our marching bands, but you have to admit that this makes our task look like child's play.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:26 pm

Jsaxm wrote:The opening ceremonies were one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. Can you imagine the rehearsing it must have taken to coordinate that many people to perform with such precision? I know a lot of us are used to doing something like it with our marching bands, but you have to admit that this makes our task look like child's play.
its easy when your life is at stake :D

I always root for the atheletes who are under dictatorships
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

edhsflutieqt
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by edhsflutieqt » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:04 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote: its easy when your life is at stake :D

I always root for the atheletes who are under dictatorships
haha so true! :]

My parents grew up under the communist dictator ceausescu in Romania. Everything they did had to make the government proud. Do something they don't like and you've got trouble. BIG trouble.

I'm sure it's like that in china. This is their chance: the whole world is watching and they have to impress and show they have the slightest clue of what they're doing. Screw up during the opening show and you don't just make a little oopsie ... they see it as embarrassing the country.

Too much pressure ...
.:~*~:.El Dorado Golden Hawk Pride.:~*~:.

BayArea510
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by BayArea510 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 am

I don't think Logan performed in the opening ceremony. However they did perform on the Great Wall of China and Tiananmen Square and they also performed at the Chinese Womens soccer game. If you visit their website at http://loganbandandcolorguard.org/ you can view pictures and videos of their performances in China.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:48 pm

BayArea510 wrote:I don't think Logan performed in the opening ceremony. However they did perform on the Great Wall of China and Tiananmen Square and they also performed at the Chinese Womens soccer game. If you visit their website at http://loganbandandcolorguard.org/ you can view pictures and videos of their performances in China.
Logan wasn't alone. They were part of the larger Orchestra that had other band members from Australia, Europe, & the U.S.
-Stop global whining.