You Olympic Event

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 5:37 pm

Jsaxm wrote:
The Aceman wrote:
BGRtumpet wrote:And are the Olympics meant to represent amateurs, or are they supposed to showcase the best athletes in the world?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics#A ... ssionalism
Well, I guess you can call me a traditionalist then, haha!
You and me both.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:31 am

To me showcasing the best athletes not only intensifies the competition and forces other countries to raise the bar, but it's also much more marketable to todays audience. In order for the Olympics to stay alive and healthy they need to adapt to the times. Stick to much to tradition and it could be your undoing. Much like what is happening to a certain unnamed organization right now *cough* dci *cough*, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms aint it?
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:13 pm

The Aceman wrote:To me showcasing the best athletes not only intensifies the competition and forces other countries to raise the bar, but it's also much more marketable to todays audience. In order for the Olympics to stay alive and healthy they need to adapt to the times. Stick to much to tradition and it could be your undoing. Much like what is happening to a certain unnamed organization right now *cough* dci *cough*, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms aint it?
Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back, LOL......

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:27 pm

JazzGeek wrote:
The Aceman wrote:To me showcasing the best athletes not only intensifies the competition and forces other countries to raise the bar, but it's also much more marketable to todays audience. In order for the Olympics to stay alive and healthy they need to adapt to the times. Stick to much to tradition and it could be your undoing. Much like what is happening to a certain unnamed organization right now *cough* dci *cough*, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms aint it?
Tell us how you really feel, don't hold back, LOL......
Well at least I now know what is responsible for my undoing. Darn the old ways and my belief system! ROFLOL.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:06 am

I cannot believe I was up until 3 am+ watching equestrian and badminton ... but it was worth it. :zzz: Sleep time now for a couple hours. (and no I do not have TiVo or a recordable DVD ... but I might be able to figure out how to program the VHS if I can find the manual).
Last edited by fieldshowqueen on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:37 pm

heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too.

All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:05 pm

if i made an olympic sport, it would be olympic jello snorting

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:50 pm

senza cervello wrote:heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too. All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.
No ... it shows the correct time BUT (does any one else have this issue?) all of the other appliances with clocks are always 1 minute or more fast or slow. Drives me nuts. I can lose up to 4 minutes just walking from one end of the house to the other. LOL.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:07 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:
senza cervello wrote:heh. And I bet your VCR is still blinking midnight too. All I watched was the opening ceremony so far. I'm not a TV kind of person.
No ... it shows the correct time BUT (does any one else have this issue?) all of the other appliances with clocks are always 1 minute or more fast or slow. Drives me nuts. I can lose up to 4 minutes just walking from one end of the house to the other. LOL.
Oh, because all of my stuff still does! :td:
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:06 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:
Which is why always set my clocks using my cell phone, the time on it is always correct. And for those of you haven't already noticed, but most jobs use the internet for their official time on their computer clocks, which is usually the EXACT same time as your cell phone receives. So yeah...
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:47 pm

Trap shooting is pretty neat. The shooting events must make the gun-control nuts crazy...

I have also been enjoying the volleyball (beach and indoor) as well.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:44 pm

seanrj wrote: I have also been enjoying the volleyball (beach and indoor) as well.
can't imagine why... :roll:

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:24 pm

seanrj wrote:Trap shooting is pretty neat. The shooting events must make the gun-control nuts crazy...

I have also been enjoying the volleyball (beach and indoor) as well.
I've been trying to catch it when it airs. I kinda assume NBC (or any news media for that matter) won't show anything gun related that can be viewed in a positive light. I noticed a lot of less developed countries send shooters as their main olympic medal contenders and were the flag carriers during the march.
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:41 pm

The Aceman wrote:
fieldshowqueen wrote:
Which is why always set my clocks using my cell phone, the time on it is always correct. And for those of you haven't already noticed, but most jobs use the internet for their official time on their computer clocks, which is usually the EXACT same time as your cell phone receives. So yeah...
That isnt' the issue ... the clocks in the appliances run fast or slow and after about 2 or 3 months one or more of them is 1 minute faster and another is 1 minute slower than the others. As far as I can tell none of them have a "speed up/slow down" dial.