Earthquake, that was fun!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:57 pm

LOL

We were marching when the oct. earthquake hit.

I remember we were drilling end of the 4th production brass feature and just on count 1 of backwards motion the ground came up to meet us.

:D

A marching field would be a good place to be a in big one.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 pm

sooo... did the after shock ever hit....
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:58 pm

Yeah, I would imagine a marching field would be a good place during "the big one" (at least until the ground opens up and swallows you). Just sort of sit down and watch the sight of destruction around you. :roll:

And imagine if an earthquake came during competition! I'm picturing something similar to a bunch of M&Ms on a table, stuttering around like an epileptic. Course, it would be hard to get anything down accurately, but at least you'll get everyone to do vibrato in unison! :flush:
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

aLL your BASS
New Recruit
New Recruit

A Little Late In The Game...

Post by aLL your BASS » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 am

...but here's my earthquake story:

I was a tiny li'l four year old that just got back from preschool and was watching Double Dare (not Family Double Dare mind you). It was the final race or whatever and the Red and Yellow Team were neck and neck. I think the Loma Prieta hit right about one of them was about to finish...

Thing is I don't remember the shaking at all...I just remember my mom running downstairs and me being upset not knowing who won such a close race! :lol:

...I did end up drawing a picture of the collapsed Bay Bridge, though. I remember it being in green ink on the back of a large yellow-lined paper notepad, but I haven't seen it in FOREVER.

In 2006, on the 100 year anniversary of the 1906 quake, I was attending class in the city and my teacher showed us that he always carries around with him now a few water bottles, a paper mask, and a few other carry along emergency stuff in a medium sized bag just in case he happens to be in the city during the upcoming "Big One."
snuh, guh, munch...NYEAH! =)

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:26 pm

senza cervello wrote:Yeah, I would imagine a marching field would be a good place during "the big one" (at least until the ground opens up and swallows you). Just sort of sit down and watch the sight of destruction around you. :roll:

And imagine if an earthquake came during competition! I'm picturing something similar to a bunch of M&Ms on a table, stuttering around like an epileptic. Course, it would be hard to get anything down accurately, but at least you'll get everyone to do vibrato in unison! :flush:
LOL ... and can you imagine the comments from the Visual Judge? Hahahaha. :shock:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:00 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:LOL ... and can you imagine the comments from the Visual Judge? Hahahaha. :shock:
"Hmm, you've got some marchers out of alignment... no, wait, the YARD LINES are out of alignment."

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:30 pm

Living in Chino Hills and having an earth quake less than a mile away from my house was quite exciting. No warning, it just hit. Everything was fine though. We had a couple things fall off some shelves, but that was it. I've never been so close to an epicenter before, usually I live far, far away from where the quake strikes. Thank goodness for earth quake codes, haha!