Earthquake, that was fun!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

tSz42

Earthquake, that was fun!

Post by tSz42 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:43 am

Anyone else throw their hands up and say "weeee!" ??

*edit*

5.8er, nice

USGS had it at 5.6, now its 5.8
Last edited by tSz42 on Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

seanrj
Veteran
Veteran

Post by seanrj » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:00 pm

Woot...

Haven't felt one of those for a while. Hope no one was hurt and that there isn't too much damage. BTW, they are now saying 5.8 outside of Chino Hills.

However, that is the point of all of the safety codes the government loves enforcing. All should be fine, except for some things knocked off of shelves.

I love SoCal! 8-)
Sean Jenkins, M.M.Ed.
Director of Music
Magnolia JHS
Chino, CA

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:13 pm

It was indeed very fun haha.

Yea I go to that website too. Said 5.6 by the greater LA area haha, but yea now it's 5.8.
It also said, on the news, that it was a foreshock, meaning more to come later. ^_^ Going to be a fun day.

Still can't call ppl for a ride to go to my sectionals today :( Ugh!
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:22 pm

I hope everyone is alright
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:33 pm

We need to have folks from Ayala High School check in tell us how good the ride was...
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:42 pm

I believe the Chino Hills HS band director is also a member of the site.

We felt it quite a bit in San Diego, my own experience probably amplified by the fact that I'm on the third floor. But I know my mother-in-law felt it from her job in National City, even further south.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm

Apparently SoCal wants DCI Finals back and will continue to shake until it does so. 8-)

Take care you folks in the Southland.

According to the L.A. Times online, Caltech downgraded the quake to a 5.4.
-Stop global whining.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:53 pm

I had a pretty good ride. I was watching the news and it's pretty humorous how they show the damage. It's mostly, "and we have our first pictures of the damage..." (picture from a store with about a dozen bottles on the floor)

My neighbors were really shaken up, though. They ran out of the house with dogs in hand and came to our house to see if there were any problems. Opening the door, she's very shaken up and frantic and we're pretty much, "uhhh, yeah..." Hope everything's all good at the epicenter!
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Now THIS is why I'm glad I got divorced ...
The dot in the middle is the epicenter, the dot on the right is the house my ex and I bought 30 years ago, the dot on the left is where he lives now. It's about .17 miles from the epicenter to his house and 2.0 to my old one. Yikes!

Intensity was reduced to 5.4 and over 30,000 "Did you feel it?" reports so far. http://pasadena.wr.usgs.gov/shake/ca/ST ... splay.html
... So Ryan ... how was the ride from your end?
Last edited by fieldshowqueen on Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:00 pm

Currently working an assignment at the CDF Headquarters in Riverside--and when it hit, it was pretty scary. Longest earthquake I've felt. My house is at the epicenter, but the house is fine according to neighbors. Wife and kids are in Seattle. I'm too busy out here to report more.

I got your PM by the way, and I'll get back to tonight--but just a general answer to your questions...I'm in the dark.

Seriously.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:29 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Currently working an assignment at the CDF Headquarters in Riverside--and when it hit, it was pretty scary. Longest earthquake I've felt. My house is at the epicenter, but the house is fine according to neighbors. Wife and kids are in Seattle. I'm too busy out here to report more.
I got your PM by the way, and I'll get back to tonight--but just a general answer to your questions...I'm in the dark.
Seriously.
Thanks and glad you and family are safe. ... and you are less than 5 minutes from me as I type this!!?? :lol:

ilovebarisax1

Post by ilovebarisax1 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:38 pm

Well, I may not be at Ayala HS or Chino Hills HS, but I am at Don Lugo HS[which is like 5 minutes from Ayala HS & about 10 from Chino Hills HS]. Ayala HS is actually closer to the epicenter than Chino Hills HS.

I was at summer school at Don Lugo when the earthquake started. I was sitting in the classroom when it started. Then my desk started shaking a little, then everyone in the classroom started looking at each other. Then the real shaking began & we all went underneath our desks. A few seconds after it stopped, we went outside. A lot of people were outside already. About 2 hours after the earthquake, they let us go home. There was also a lot of confusion about the time that we could go home. Some were saying 12:55 & others were saying 1:10.

It was cool though..It got my adrenaline going.. :)

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:58 pm

haven't had an earthquake in the SF area in awhile...i love earthquakes i whoot and shout when there is one! haha :lol:
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

dmkid:)

Post by dmkid:) » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:32 pm

Haha I was brushing my teeth when it happened and my brother kept screaming at me to go outside but I was like psh let me finish

It wasnt scary at all because, honestly, I've been in much worser earthquakes :) but yeah it's all good

Squirtle
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Squirtle » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:54 pm

tooweird wrote:haven't had an earthquake in the SF area in awhile...i love earthquakes i whoot and shout when there is one! haha :lol:
there was one a month or two ago, but it was wimpy. =P