Instrument nomenclature

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Post Reply
Suhibandman
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 190
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:34 am
Location: San Diego

Instrument nomenclature

Post by Suhibandman » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:19 pm

So I am up in Oregon at the American Band College, and one of the subject areas I have to improve on is instrument nomenclature.... Does anyone have any helpful tips or know of good websites that might have more info on this? Aside from playing in an orchestra (which I don't have too much experience doing), where can I find more information about instruments' different names?

Thanks!

User avatar
Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 641
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 1:36 pm
Location: So. CA

Post by Chapagne » Sun Jun 22, 2008 11:15 am

Sorry, but I can't find my note cards I used to study for that. I think I gave them to someone else a few years ago.

Your biggest asset to learning the material up there is to ask the 2nd and 3rd year people for help. I found them to be extremely valuable sources of information. They will know what you need to know or how to get it.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 747
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:34 am
Location: Chino Hills
Contact:

Post by Jsaxm » Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:06 pm

You should also ask Liz, the lady that goes around taking all the pictures. She has a website that has a really cool nomenclature study program. That's how I studied mine when I had that area of weakness.

User avatar
PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader
Posts: 1356
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2002 10:57 pm

Re: Instrument nomenclature

Post by PGOK » Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:32 am

Suhibandman wrote:So I am up in Oregon at the American Band College, and one of the subject areas I have to improve on is instrument nomenclature.... Does anyone have any helpful tips or know of good websites that might have more info on this? Aside from playing in an orchestra (which I don't have too much experience doing), where can I find more information about instruments' different names?

Thanks!
I found this, and later found the same link on an ABC page, so it should be helpful.

http://www.library.yale.edu/cataloging/ ... stname.htm
“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”

— Groucho Marx

User avatar
Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff
Posts: 7951
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 6:46 am
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Contact:

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:10 pm

English: Tuba
French: Tuba
German: Tuba
Italian: Tuba
Russian: Tuba
Spanish: Tuba

:tup:

User avatar
supermutant
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Nov 14, 2002 3:06 pm
Location: Gig Harbor

Post by supermutant » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:17 pm

Hostrauser wrote:English: Tuba
French: Tuba
German: Tuba
Italian: Tuba
Russian: Tuba
Spanish: Tuba

:tup:
Norweigen: Der OOM uff da oom pah :lol:

User avatar
LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader
Posts: 1237
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:11 am
Location: Needles, California

Re:

Post by LoyalTubist » Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 pm

supermutant wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:English: Tuba
French: Tuba
German: Tuba
Italian: Tuba
Russian: Tuba
Spanish: Tuba

:tup:
Norweigen: Der OOM uff da oom pah :lol:

Nope... But it is interesting that the Latin word tuba means trumpet.

User avatar
JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 437
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:28 am
Location: So Cal; Home of the Quake & the Wave
Contact:

Re: Re:

Post by JazzGeek » Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:07 pm

LoyalTubist wrote:
supermutant wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:English: Tuba
French: Tuba
German: Tuba
Italian: Tuba
Russian: Tuba
Spanish: Tuba

:tup:
Norweigen: Der OOM uff da oom pah :lol:

Nope... But it is interesting that the Latin word tuba means trumpet.
Actually, it means "horn".

DRCRAWFISH
New Recruit
New Recruit
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:26 pm

Re:

Post by DRCRAWFISH » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 pm

Hostrauser wrote:English: Tuba
French: Tuba
German: Tuba
Italian: Tuba
Russian: Tuba
Spanish: Tuba

:tup:
And I though you were kidding :lol:

Post Reply