The Lakers are going down!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Wed May 21, 2008 10:32 pm

Are you serious? If i had known that I would have watched.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu May 22, 2008 8:19 am

aandm wrote:and even with all that, the jazz will never be considered one of the best franchises in history because they have never one a championship let alone consecutive ones. Teams like san antonio, the lakers, the celtics, the bulls, as well as various other teams are ALWAYS regarded with more respect because of this fact. Sorry jazz fans, but until you win one, you can't be in the same league as some of these teams.
Doesn't mean we compare our success with the Lakers.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu May 22, 2008 8:28 am

senza cervello wrote:Are you serious? If i had known that I would have watched.
Yep, I caught just a bit of it on the broadcast out of the corner of my eye (I was bowling at the time). The black ball caps with the yellow exclamation point were a dead giveaway. TV only showed the snare line, but I can only assume the whole battery was there.

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Wed May 28, 2008 8:08 am

How 'bout them Spurs!!

:rotf:
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Wed May 28, 2008 2:34 pm

just posting so i can reach 2222.

anyone notice that the stadium in san antonio was playing dream theater in between plays?

shows how much i enjoy the actual sport
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Wed May 28, 2008 4:11 pm

The Aceman wrote:
aandm wrote:and even with all that, the jazz will never be considered one of the best franchises in history because they have never one a championship let alone consecutive ones. Teams like san antonio, the lakers, the celtics, the bulls, as well as various other teams are ALWAYS regarded with more respect because of this fact. Sorry jazz fans, but until you win one, you can't be in the same league as some of these teams.
I'm sorry if i seem unintelligent but I don't understand the point you are trying to make. You insinuated that the Jazz are one of the top franchises in basketball but when you look at the facts, they simply are a second rate team. True they are consistently better than teams like the clippers but when compared to other teams they simply are not successful. Its one thing to be a die hard fan and another to be oblivious when comparing apples and oranges. No offense intended.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu May 29, 2008 8:08 am

aandm wrote:
The Aceman wrote:
I'm sorry if i seem unintelligent but I don't understand the point you are trying to make. You insinuated that the Jazz are one of the top franchises in basketball but when you look at the facts, they simply are a second rate team. True they are consistently better than teams like the clippers but when compared to other teams they simply are not successful. Its one thing to be a die hard fan and another to be oblivious when comparing apples and oranges. No offense intended.
I wasn't insinuating anything except that Jazz fans don't sit around comparing their success to the Lakers, which has been my point all along, you've been arguing a point I haven't even been touching on. Since you bring it up though. I would disagree that the Jazz can be considered a second rate team. # of championships doesn't make a team good or bad. The threat to win a championship is more important to me, a team that has a fluke year and wins a championship and never makes it to the playoffs again isn't a good team. The jazz have a history of making it to the playoffs and even the finals alot. They are a threat to win every year, and to call them second rate, and consider them a non risk is ignorance.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Thu May 29, 2008 9:28 am

You can't (or shouldn't) say it only matters if your a contender. Great coaches are fired all the time because they can't put it over the top. Sorry, no one remembers the also rans in the playoffs.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Thu May 29, 2008 5:07 pm

a great team is a team that is remembered for its greatness. How many utah teams are truly remembered for being great? 1 maybe 2 if you are lucky. How many san antonio teams are remembered.. atleast 4 maybe 6. What about Laker teams... atleast 10 starting from Milwaukee and what about the Celtics 10+. You can call Utah a threat every year but what good is a threat if it can't ever be carried out. Sooner or later the threat is just ignored and viewed as a persistent bug that teams just have to get through to move on. Thats what is happening to Utah. Until Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer make it to the finals or defeat a "strong" team in the playoffs, they wont ever be considered great. Utah fans can compare their success to whatever they want, success is relative but in the big scheme of things, until they win a championship or get awfully close, they wont be put in the same books as the Spurs, Lakers, Mavericks, or Suns of this decade.

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm

a team should be judged by how well they are performing in the current time period instead of how successful the franchises themselves have been historically. the latter is extremely irrelevant and biased when it comes to deciding who is truly great.
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Fri May 30, 2008 7:51 pm

but in comparing long term success that doesn't hold merit. How succesful are the Miami Heat? they have had four or five stellar seasons and everything else has been less than spectacular. but is that franchise more successful than say the jazz who have had a string or remotely strong seasons? Thats debatable but because the Jazz have never one that championship, which is what basketball is about, the Jazz are not a more SUCCESSFUL team than the Heat. They may be a better team but not more successful.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:31 pm

Wow. Boston throws down the gauntlet first!
-Stop global whining.

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:32 am

Lakers were just faking it tonight. They'll end up winning the next game :)

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:24 am

Flying bird wrote:Lakers were just faking it tonight. They'll end up winning the next game :)
Well, I didn't get to watch, but did they fake this one too?
-Stop global whining.

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:45 am

Celtics whooped them good. They better find some new sneakers in LA!!
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself