Reminder to Californians that drive.

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Reminder to Californians that drive.

Post by Wildabeast » Tue May 06, 2008 5:36 pm

Do you use a cell phone when you drive? I was reminded by some typical atrocious driving while running some errands today.

July 1st, 2008 is right around the corner.

Got Bluetooth?
-Stop global whining.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Tue May 06, 2008 8:15 pm

It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Tue May 06, 2008 8:49 pm

Studies have shown that people drive pretty much as lousy when they're using a hands-free device. It's about how much you're paying attention to the road, not what your hands are doing.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Tue May 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Chapagne wrote:Studies have shown that people drive pretty much as lousy when they're using a hands-free device. It's about how much you're paying attention to the road, not what your hands are doing.
Eh, at least with hand-free, you "should" have both hands on the wheel and a little more freedom to turn your head for better awareness.
-Stop global whining.

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Tue May 06, 2008 10:55 pm

i drive naturally with just my left hand... and i like to use my phone on the right side...

i'm gonna be driving with one hand anyways... what's the point?

trying to get a bluetooth device to work while driving is actually more complicated than just picking up the phone!

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Wed May 07, 2008 6:21 am

Yeah, if I had a nickle for every time the damn thing couldn't understand or recognize the person I was trying to call......

But I do understand that it isn't about the actual physical act of hold the phone entirely. It also has alot to do with how much attention you are paying to the road and traffic. Honestly, I don't think that not holding your cell phone will make you any more aware of your surroundings than if you were. You're still going to be distracted by the conversation you are having.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed May 07, 2008 8:03 am

Well thank god they haven't outlaw'd my putting on my makeup and drinking my coffee (at the same time) while driving. I'd be a complete mess and scare the beejeebers out of the office when that day comes.

I've seen everything while driving from kids doing their homework, to changing clothes from office attire to jeans, to taking OFF clothes for various non-clothes related activities with a passenger (this is WHILE DRIVING remember ...), to shaving and brushing your teeth ... basically anything you can do at home has probably been done in a car.

I've also seen cell phone users cause accidents, but not in the way we think ... the person behind said users was so pissed about the cell use that they passed or tailgated, honked and did the bird, then ran into someone/thing because they were looking at the cell phone guy.

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Wed May 07, 2008 12:53 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote: to shaving and brushing your teeth ...
Coming soon to a legislator near you.....Bluetooth toothbrushes & shavers!
-Stop global whining.

malletphreak
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by malletphreak » Wed May 07, 2008 1:13 pm

Wildabeast wrote:
fieldshowqueen wrote: to shaving and brushing your teeth ...
Coming soon to a legislator near you.....Bluetooth toothbrushes & shavers!

ha haha!!!

anyways yea.. I drive with one hand as well..

also agree that hey its how much you pay attention to the road..

people drive the way they drive with or without talking on the cell hands free or not...
Wendy
Kingsmen Alumni Corps 2007
Kingsmen Senior Corps 2009
San Francisco Renegades - 2010, 2011
San Francisco Renegades Assistant Corps Director - 2012, 2013

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Wed May 07, 2008 4:48 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:I've seen everything while driving from kids doing their homework, to changing clothes from office attire to jeans, to taking OFF clothes for various non-clothes related activities with a passenger (this is WHILE DRIVING remember ...)
I remember a Mr. Bean where Rowen Atkinson was doing this! It was funny at the time, but now it's just scary.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed May 07, 2008 5:15 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:I've seen everything while driving... taking OFF clothes for various non-clothes related activities with a passenger (this is WHILE DRIVING remember ...)
Oh NOES! FSQ has been driving behind me. 8-)
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Wed May 07, 2008 8:27 pm

In the immortal words of Ellen Degeneres: "If something takes two hands to do, chances are, your brain should be in on it too."
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Thu May 08, 2008 6:06 am

Ex Nihilo wrote: trying to get a bluetooth device to work while driving is actually more complicated than just picking up the phone!
Actually it's not hard to do if you successfully sync your headset with your phone at home in the first place.
If it's not working while you're driving, you shouldn't be messing with it while driving. While it may take you back to square 1 (for a bit), I think it's still necessary - at least for some people, regardless if you feel you're in control or not.
-Stop global whining.

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Fri May 09, 2008 6:04 pm

mkosbie wrote:In the immortal words of Ellen Degeneres: "If something takes two hands to do, chances are, your brain should be in on it too."
HA! I like that one
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Sat May 10, 2008 6:07 pm

For me what's most infuriating about the government "nannies" that want to "protect" me FROM me by FORCING me to wear seat belts and helmets and knee pads and face protectors and God-knows what else they can stick their big fat noses into MY business about...is this...

Ever since the new "no more cell phone" law, I've seen COUNTLESS media-news stories on WHY this law is in existence. They always say two things that drive me nuts, and most "sheeple" just blindly and ignorantly ignore.

First, they say "studies show" that cell phone usage causes accidents. It does? REALLY?? CITE THE STUDIES!! Never have I seen a study cited.

Secondly, a reporter will inevitably say "It's not the cell phone per se that is causing the accident, it's the driver's inability to concentrate on the road and (HERE IT IS...GET READY) to carry on a conversation at the same time!"

You should at this point be staring at your computer with a dead blank look on your face, asking "So...what's the point Turner??"

THE POINT IS that you...AND I....are being set up. It's ONLY LOGICAL to think this one more level deep. If I can't have a conversation on the phone, why then is it ok to have a conversation with a passenger? Why should I be able to talk to my wife driving somewhere? We're talking aren't we? Hell, I've been known to say a thing or two that's funny, and my wife responds in kind, and GOD FORBID, we'll actually LAUGH OUT LOUD! And Heavens to Mergatroid....I'm STILL DRIVING!!!!

Why is a conversation on the phone ANY different than talk to a passenger?

It's not.

So...congratulations...we've allowed the government to go ahead and shove more needless "nanny-isms" into our lives. Speed limits I'm good with. Stop signs...most of them I get. But please...leave me alone and let me talk on my flippin' phone without the need to have the worthless Bluetooth "CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW...HOW ABOUT NOW??" system in my possession.

This is all about as pointless as "global warming legislation"...and the accompanying taxes I smell on the horizon.