pokemon

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:30 pm

fieldshowqueen wrote:This reminds me of the old "Looney-Toons-make-kids-violent" argument. I watched 1000's of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, etc. cartoons and look how I turned out. Umm ... ok maybe not the best example ... but I'm not violent. Yes, a 2004 U of Washington study showed increased agression in 30% of pre-teen boys (ages 7 to 10) participating in the study who watched 3 to 4 hours of cartoons from age 2 to 5, but the study was flawed for several reasons, and there is just as much "evidence" from other studies that show just the opposite (that cartoons do not affect agressive behavior) and are in fact a way for children to release their agressions and everyday stress.

On a separate tangent ... does this mean that my old Pokemon card collections are now worth something and I should list them on E-Bay?
That's like the GTA series that also said that it made kids really violent. Well actually more specifically it was teenagers playing rated "M" games before they are actually mature (20's-ish?) They get fat/obese, fail at school (meaning getting bad grades) and turn violent.

I play a lot, and I mean a lot, of rated M games....and I'm not at all violent or aggressive. I have a 4.0....and I'm UNDERweight for my age/height. So yea....take that studies! :P ^_^

Getting back to Pokémon....yea I loved that series, especially the first few. After Johto, it did seem to lose it's "color" I had like all the video games for it too. The latest one I have is Colosseum for the GC. xD, just beat it over Spring Break too. But for it to make a comeback wouldn't be all that bad I guess. I really did like it in it's first few years. But around here it's not really making a comeback.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:36 pm

I'm a racial minority that owns guns and plays violent video games OH NOES

I always found the pokemon gameboy games fun. dunno about all the craze with everything else.
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

JuAnEeXXbOi06
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JuAnEeXXbOi06 » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:38 pm

I don't know about it making a comeback at my school, particularly being on a university campus O.o

However, i do still find time to play the games on my computer.

^nerd^
"I want to be a supermodel because I deserve fame and fortune."

-Elyse Sewell, America's Next Top Model, Cycle 1

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:40 pm

The Aceman wrote:The only anime's worth watching that currently air on any station are Naruto and InuYasha. Other then that you must go elsewhere for your anime needs.
what about bleach? I like the manga, less fillers than the anime and the story is much farther ahead
WHS '05, UCSB '10

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:31 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:
The Aceman wrote:The only anime's worth watching that currently air on any station are Naruto and InuYasha. Other then that you must go elsewhere for your anime needs.
what about bleach? I like the manga, less fillers than the anime and the story is much farther ahead
i miss the days when they had the legends like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun.

THOSE are what anime is all about.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:53 am

Ex Nihilo wrote:
IsnipeWithAknife wrote:
i miss the days when they had the legends like Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, and Trigun.

What, no love for Sailor Moon? :D

:duck:

aLL your BASS
New Recruit
New Recruit

sailor moon

Post by aLL your BASS » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:58 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
IsnipeWithAknife wrote: what about bleach? I like the manga, less fillers than the anime and the story is much farther ahead

sailor moon = my gateway-anime drug right here! lol
snuh, guh, munch...NYEAH! =)

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:19 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:
IsnipeWithAknife wrote: what about bleach? I like the manga, less fillers than the anime and the story is much farther ahead

or Neon Genesis Evangelion?
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:52 pm

I've disliked neon genesis evangelion when a guy at my dorm hogged the damn TV playing disc after disc of a burned dvd of the series that he just torrented. Seriously, let me watch my BSG for ONE hour and go watch your show on your computer.

Another guy did that with Crash :evil: :evil: :evil:
If you torrented somthing, don't hog the lounge TV please
WHS '05, UCSB '10

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:06 am

Hostrauser wrote:
Ex Nihilo wrote:

no.

wind-drummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by wind-drummer » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:44 am

sadness. i was on a bleach kick for awhile, then death note. pokemon should be left to fans and little kids, but high school is little kids technically so... have fun! :gb:
Do It!! You Won't!!

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:26 am

wind-drummer wrote:sadness. i was on a bleach kick for awhile, then death note. pokemon should be left to fans and little kids, but high school is little kids technically so... have fun! :gb:
...says the recent graduate... :roll: