pokemon

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

AcowIntheHills[:
New Recruit
New Recruit

pokemon

Post by AcowIntheHills[: » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:50 pm

is making a comeback at my school...what about you. :roll:
In the immortal words of Ryan Anderson, "Can I get a yes please?!"

Squirtle
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Squirtle » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:57 pm

Didn't Pokemon die out years ago?

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Re: pokemon

Post by senza cervello » Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:59 pm

AcowIntheHills[: wrote:is making a comeback at my school...what about you. :roll:

Uhh... No.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:25 pm

I wouldn't it wish it so, but it is.

:mw:

Sigh.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

Fluba
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Fluba » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:29 am

I wouldn't mind if american culture would stop being some lame. Stuff like Pokemon is STILL popular in Japan. They don't have this damn passing fad crap that the american culture does. And for someone to admit that they still like Pokemon seems to make them automatically gay or something. Im sorry Im not a damn conformist like you...

So, yeah, I would like to see stuff like Pokemon come back. But I still personally hold the feeling that Nintendo taking over the card game here in the US killed that brand. And the TV show did kinda lose its neatness after the whole Johto series. But to make Pokemon mainstream again would be cool... Heck, to make Anime more mainstream would be cool, but I dont see that happening in the US ever. You couldn't pull something like One Piece here in the us (At like what, 350 episodes already with some unknow number left to go. Rumor has it that that series is not even half way done yet) as the attention span of most american wouldn't allow it.
That Flute playin' Tuba guy...

This is why Tubas rule

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:03 am

That is just....sad. I have very big concerns over Pokemon. First, why do we condone chidren catching wild animals, caging them in little containers, "training" them, and then making them fight in tournaments. Don't we have laws against that? Do we want kids to grow up thinking that cock fighting and dog fighting is OK? Sorry, the message behind the cartoon is distressing, and realy, I'm not a PETA freak.
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:43 am

Brad wrote:That is just....sad. I have very big concerns over Pokemon. First, why do we condone chidren catching wild animals, caging them in little containers, "training" them, and then making them fight in tournaments. Don't we have laws against that? Do we want kids to grow up thinking that cock fighting and dog fighting is OK? Sorry, the message behind the cartoon is distressing, and realy, I'm not a PETA freak.
Yeah and if you play Grand Theft Auto, you're going to jail.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:12 am

Brad wrote:That is just....sad. I have very big concerns over Pokemon. First, why do we condone chidren catching wild animals, caging them in little containers, "training" them, and then making them fight in tournaments. Don't we have laws against that? Do we want kids to grow up thinking that cock fighting and dog fighting is OK? Sorry, the message behind the cartoon is distressing, and realy, I'm not a PETA freak.
Wow... that is totally outrageous! It's a card game... get over it.
Soldiering On!

Brad
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Brad » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:11 am

:duck: :box:
Be good to your friends
Be good to strangers
be good to yourself

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 am

This reminds me of the old "Looney-Toons-make-kids-violent" argument. I watched 1000's of Bugs Bunny, Daffy Duck, Elmer Fudd, etc. cartoons and look how I turned out. Umm ... ok maybe not the best example ... but I'm not violent. Yes, a 2004 U of Washington study showed increased agression in 30% of pre-teen boys (ages 7 to 10) participating in the study who watched 3 to 4 hours of cartoons from age 2 to 5, but the study was flawed for several reasons, and there is just as much "evidence" from other studies that show just the opposite (that cartoons do not affect agressive behavior) and are in fact a way for children to release their agressions and everyday stress.

On a separate tangent ... does this mean that my old Pokemon card collections are now worth something and I should list them on E-Bay?

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:41 am

gotta catch'em all....

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Brad, there is something seriously wrong with what you've been saying lately. That's exactly like blaming Marilyn Manson for what happened at Columbine or blaming gangsta rap for increases in violence. It's an extremely ridiculous assumption with zero proof. Pokemon never gave me that kind of idea, and if a kid came around to actually do what you say they could, parents shouldn't be so naiive and blame Pokemon for what happened. It's their own fault.

As for Pokemon, how in the WORLD did Ash and Gary become friends?
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Fluba wrote:I wouldn't mind if american culture would stop being some lame. Stuff like Pokemon is STILL popular in Japan. They don't have this damn passing fad crap that the american culture does. And for someone to admit that they still like Pokemon seems to make them automatically gay or something. Im sorry Im not a damn conformist like you...

So, yeah, I would like to see stuff like Pokemon come back. But I still personally hold the feeling that Nintendo taking over the card game here in the US killed that brand. And the TV show did kinda lose its neatness after the whole Johto series. But to make Pokemon mainstream again would be cool... Heck, to make Anime more mainstream would be cool, but I dont see that happening in the US ever. You couldn't pull something like One Piece here in the us (At like what, 350 episodes already with some unknow number left to go. Rumor has it that that series is not even half way done yet) as the attention span of most american wouldn't allow it.

*cough* pokemon is not anime...
pokemon along with digimon, yu-gi-ho (or whatever), and all of those other shows that involve "collecting" and "battling" are just huge corporate advertisements to get impressionable children to complain to their parents and annoy them until they go out and buy these glorified scraps of cardboard that they become emotionally attached to and obsessed with. there is no art in these sorry excuses for tv shows that have a very base and repetitive plot which is geared toward small children and low-brow society.

so, in short, yes. i would like anime to become more mainstream so i don't have to stay up till the ass-crack of dawn or spend like 50 bucks just to see the episodes.

but pokemon... it has no place in an already struggling society. it's like setting a bottle of booze in front of a recovering alcoholic. it harms society's thought-processes and SHOULD be discouraged if not outright banned.

sorry... i had caffeine.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:50 pm

Ex Nihilo wrote:so, in short, yes. i would like anime to become more mainstream so i don't have to stay up till the ass-crack of dawn or spend like 50 bucks just to see the episodes.
I agree. Back in the 1960's there were a bunch of these "new type" cartoons that came out ... AstroBoy, Alakazam the Great, Kimba the White Lion, Speed Racer ... that were the predecessor to anime. I was glued to Public Broadcasting every day from 4 to 6 pm since the Big 3 (ABC, NBC, CBS) didn't show them. They became mainstream for a very short while, then disappeared. Sad.

BTW ... For some reason, Alakazam was edited to remove religious messages (assumably because they weren't Christian enough for the Cold War Era censors) that were based on Chinese legends (which ironically were the basis for Dragon Ball later). Finding copies of any of the Japanese produced animation from back then is just about impossible now. What I loved about growing up in the 60's and 70's was the diversity of animation ... we had pre-anime, Disney, Looney Toons (reruns), Flintstones and Jetsons, old stuff from the 50's (Felix the Cat and Rocky and Bullwinkle and Benie and Cecil), Johnny Quest and the Thunderbirds, and a ton of Saturday morning fertilizer (aka cr*p).

And stay away from the caffeine. :shock:

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:22 pm

The only anime's worth watching that currently air on any station are Naruto and InuYasha. Other then that you must go elsewhere for your anime needs.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.