Senior Project

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Senior Project

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:09 pm

Multi-pronged question ...
1. Does your high school require seniors to complete a Senior Project to graduate?
2. If yes, what does the "Project" entail? (research paper, minimum number of hours, oral boards?)
3. If yes, which class are you graded for for each aspect? Do you get extra credits for the "project" portion versus the research paper or is everything lumped into one class?
4. If yes, who approves your project and who grades or reviews it?
5. Are all high schools in your district on the same "plan"?

The reasons for my questions are also multi-pronged. I am not necessarily opposed to a Senior Project, but neither am I happy with the current state off affairs out yonder and wish to present alternatives to the district gurus.

Thanks for any comments, discussion, opinions, and all that.
:)

triple_threat
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by triple_threat » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:03 pm

I know Costa Mesa HS has a senior project requirement to graduate as well as community service hours. You can call the band director as Mesa for more info, I know she is always part of the grading panel. Her # at school is 714-424-8725. Ask for Sandy Gilboe.

The presentation of senior projects at Mesa begins the first week of May. I know the seniors in the guard are still working on last minute details as well as trying to squeeze in the last of the needed "intern" hours. I am not sure of all the requirements, but I know it is pretty involved.

If you don't get a hold of her, let me know and I can ask of my girls for the info.

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:58 pm

My answer is single-pronged:

No.

Certain programs have requirements in the senior year to get a certificate/diploma, e.g., senior seminar where you go through a full internship and project, and IB where you have your extended essay and community service hours.

Requirements for all seniors even remotely in that area include community service hours and technology competency.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:17 pm

lol @ "single pronged".
The requirements here are ALL seniors must do a research paper of 1600 words (edited) or more with 5 to 10 cited sources, 30 note cards, 2 drafts and 2 peer evaluations. The paper must pass a "yes" test and counts as 10% of the Senior's 4th quarter English grade. It is planned and composed in the Fall semester and due about the end of January.

The project must be a natural progression of the research paper. It is comprised of a 25 hour minimum community service, career exploration, or school related project. The project and mentor must be approved by the English department and counts as 20% of the Senior's 4th quarter English grade. All hours must be logged and reflected upon with 3 hours checks due in the 3rd quarter. The various forms and verifications plus evaluations must be presented in a "colorful" notebook which is an average of 100 or so sheets of paper (in plastic inserts.) The portfolio binder is due around the end of April.

The oral boards consist of a letter to the judges, a 10 minute oral presentation with impromptu questioning, and a display or other physical evidence prop. Students are graded on professionalism and public speaking ability and this counts as another 10% of their English grade for the 4th quarter. Oral boards are the first week in May.

So ... 40% of a kid's English grade is the project and all students MUST do one to graduate from this high school only. None of the other 4 high schools in the district require this (but will in the very near future). Considering Senior English is required to graduate, if you do not do a project, you fail English and thus cannot graduate.
Last edited by fieldshowqueen on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:26 pm

I do hope you mean 1600 words, rather than 1600 pages. o_O

But yes, all that work seems rather unnecessary. I don't really see the benefit in doing something like that. I mean, sure, it helps you broaden your horizons in a respect and requires you to step outside of your comfort zone in terms of embracing a certain aspect of the curriculum, but I just don't see any long-term benefits. If the student ends up enjoying what he/she does for the senior project and ends up continuing in that field, then good for him/her. But chances are that it won't end up that way. To be honest, it sounds like busywork.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:46 pm

I agree, it sounds like a lot of busywork to me. My school has some similar requirements and similar goals, but spread out over 4 years.
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:29 am

sounds like its much easier to get your GED and go to Community College right away
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:39 am

ZJH wrote:I do hope you mean 1600 words, rather than 1600 pages. o_O
Oops ... yeah. But by the time they finish this is seems like 1600 pages. :lol: Thanks and fixed.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:45 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:lol @ "single pronged".
The requirements here are ALL seniors must do a research paper of 1600 words (edited) or more with 5 to 10 cited sources, 30 note cards, 2 drafts and 2 peer evaluations. The paper must pass a "yes" test and counts as 10% of the Senior's 4th quarter English grade. It is planned and composed in the Fall semester and due about the end of January.

The project must be a natural progression of the research paper. It is comprised of a 25 hour minimum community service, career exploration, or school related project. The project and mentor must be approved by the English department and counts as 20% of the Senior's 4th quarter English grade. All hours must be logged and reflected upon with 3 hours checks due in the 3rd quarter. The various forms and verifications plus evaluations must be presented in a "colorful" notebook which is an average of 100 or so sheets of paper (in plastic inserts.) The portfolio binder is due around the end of April.

The oral boards consist of a letter to the judges, a 10 minute oral presentation with impromptu questioning, and a display or other physical evidence prop. Students are graded on professionalism and public speaking ability and this counts as another 10% of their English grade for the 4th quarter. Oral boards are the first week in May.

So ... 40% of a kid's English grade is the project and all students MUST do one to graduate from this high school only. None of the other 4 high schools in the district require this (but will in the very near future). Considering Senior English is required to graduate, if you do not do a project, you fail English and thus cannot graduate.
*Shudders at thought of research papers past* I had to do a similar project my senior year. NOW....Couldn't even tell you what the paper was about. I do remember the pain and agony though.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:54 pm

Foreshadowing much of the rest of my life, I manipulated the system in order to do the smallest amount of work necessary. :lol:

I had freshman English and sophomore English, but then in my junior year I took both junior English and Creative Writing.

Bam, four years of English classes in the books; I never took senior English and thus never had to do a research paper in High School. :tup:

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:50 pm

Hostrauser wrote:Foreshadowing much of the rest of my life, I manipulated the system in order to do the smallest amount of work necessary. :lol:

I had freshman English and sophomore English, but then in my junior year I took both junior English and Creative Writing.

Bam, four years of English classes in the books; I never took senior English and thus never had to do a research paper in High School. :tup:
That's a loophole that's been closed.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:33 pm

The Aceman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Foreshadowing much of the rest of my life, I manipulated the system in order to do the smallest amount of work necessary. :lol:

That's a loophole that's been closed.
[nelson]Ha ha![/nelson]

:cool:

Ocho
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Ocho » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:04 am

Hostrauser wrote:
I did that sort of thing too. I took English at community college for my junior year so I could skip the fatty junior paper that every junior in my school had to write except me.

As for the actual question, 1.) yes.

We had a community service project that every senior had to do.

2.) Ten hours of service, short two page response paper, with documentation/pictures.

3.) It was supposed to be in your Civics/AP Gov class, but b/c I took an equivalent course at community college, I had to do it through the Civics teacher even though I wasn't in the class.

4.) Your teacher approves the project as well as grades it.

5.)As for the district, I'm not quite sure. I'm sure there's something similar everywhere.

It was kind of fun. Felt like I actually contributed to the community. I went to the local food bank and checked items for their expiration dates.
Mt. Carmel Marching Sundevils
2003 The Music of John Rutter
2004 The Great Abyss
2005 The Music of David Holsinger
2006 The Tempest

Mt. Carmel Winterguard
2006 Miss Janet
2007 Radio K.A.O.S.

mkosbie
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by mkosbie » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:57 pm

No requirement like that at my high school. I don't really see why it would be necessary (especially in addition to the myriad tests high schoolers already take).

CPSU however is the only CSU that requires a senior project. It varies depending on your major, but it usually represents a culmination of your studies at Poly. A good number of the buildings on our campus have actually been designed and built as senior projects.
It's 5:00... do you know where your ancestors came from?

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:40 pm

Senior projects are totally outrageous (luckily our whole district didn't have them... to my knowledge). You've worked your ass off for 4 years to get through with school and to make you do one more stupid thing is insane. If it was community service hours or something like that I'd just have my parents sign it off saying I completed the work.
Soldiering On!