NCBA Predictions?

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GuarDiva04 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:23 am

8-ball wrote:I predict that Benecia will step all over everyone on the street and in Concert. Especially the downhill Scarlet Brigade.
I do agree Benicia will do incredibly this season. No doubt in my mind of that! But why do we insist on downgrading a great band? The Scarlet Brigade has been sooo consistant in the past years it's ridiculous! But everyone knows there's a time when another band must step into the spotlight. And this is Benicia's time. They have the talent... why not? But the Scarlet Brigade is damn good at what they do! On a side note though... when it comes to guard, although Benicia DID beat Fairfield.... they've got nothin on Fairfield's guard visually! Benicia is sooo clean and really really good but... Fairfield's got it. I wonder what would happen if Benicia ever decided to do CCGC during winter????
Fairfield Open 2001-2004
In Motion Winterguard 2005-2006,2009-2010
San Jose Raiders World 2007
Armijo Colorguard Instructor 2004-2006
Dublin Independent Instructor 2007-2009
...Of Essence Winterguard tech 2010

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:56 pm

I reccomend you go and look up the last time the Scarlet Brigade lost to Vintage. (If I were anyone else, I would put my $$$ on NEVER). I am glad that Benecia is doing well..but the last two years from FHS have not been consistant. Looks like a downward spiral to me. (And I am not just picking on them, I would say the same about anyone else...and I have). And also, I am happy you think that the pagentry is better at Fairfield. That seems to be the whoel attitude their...in the past I have called it the "Scarlet Brigade Mentality" and I guess it will never end until the band folds. Maybe Benecia will do CCGC...but not all groups in Nor-Cal want to or have the means necessary to do different circuits.

And as for the earlier post...Unfortunately not all bands are taught that the trophys do not matter. For some, winning has become all that they want and know. And that is sad.

"To make music flow takes heart and soul"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:24 pm

8-ball wrote:I reccomend you go and look up the last time the Scarlet Brigade lost to Vintage. (If I were anyone else, I would put my $$$ on NEVER).
Correct, as far as I know. Vintage HS is relatively new, opening in the late 1980s from what I can recall.
8-ball wrote:I am glad that Benecia is doing well..but the last two years from FHS have not been consistant. Looks like a downward spiral to me.
Thank the Fairfield Unified School District. Nothing against Steve Taylor, who's a great director, but the administration of the FUSD seems determined to take one of the best band programs in the state and throw it straight into the trash. I didn't always agree with Russ Campbell, but what the FUSD did to him and Louise Jacobs is disgraceful.

Smiling_Marcher
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Smiling_Marcher » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:23 pm

Yet i wrote robbed because as i heard Leigh will not march this year except at Pacific Grove were you guys compete against madera during this entire season so i wii enranged that we would be robbed.

I don't know where you get your information but Leigh will not be doing parade at all this year. No I take it back, we will be doing the Los Gatos Christmas Parade unless our director changes his mind. But, unless He changes his mind that is the ONLY parade we will do. And I know he would never have us do parade at only one competion, talk about total waist of time. Though I admit I will miss doing parade. I thought they were fun, plus it kinda got me ready for our real performance on the feild. Oh well, it's kinda cool to only focus on the feild show.
The season may be through but the memories will keep playing.

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:26 pm

about ccgc, not planning on it anytime soon. at least not this year. the guard still has competition in ncba and the director doesn't seem to have intentions in competing in ccgc, although i think it would be really cool. I do say that fairfield has an amazing colorguard, and yes we are clean, but that's due to a lot of routine mishaps and a lot of the routine being cut, and the guard putting in much time and effort to put together a show. but we love our instructor. she's really nice and is getting the hang of routine writing, and she'll get better:) she's a great instructor and i'm so glad we have her. and we're hoping to get our id line full again by santa cruz, so that's exciting.
i respect the scarlet brigade very much and know that they are very good at what they do. Thank you to them for raising the bar so much and bringing the standards in nor cal up a lot!
And as for the earlier post...Unfortunately not all bands are taught that the trophys do not matter. For some, winning has become all that they want and know. And that is sad.
Trophys do not matter at all. No matter how we place, if we feel we do well, then we're happy. Our goal is to play music, and put on a show as best as we can, and then get critiqued on it for more advice to make our show better.
Trophies are just the candles put on a cake, not the warm fluffy interior. the warm fluffy interior is our feeling during and after the performance. like last week at the delta band review. that was the first time we had lost music sweepstakes in 2 years, but after our performance we felt that we had put on the best show of our ability at the time and we satisified with our performance.

i'm not sure if any of that made sense, or is even relevant, but i'm half asleep so excuse me :wink:
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Thank you!!

Post by GuarDiva04 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 8:36 am

PantherBandFreak... you are my hero! LoL I agree whole heartedly with everything you wrote. What I don't understand about some other people in this foroum is... aren't we supposed to be proud of what we're good at? I mean sometimes, because I have true pride int eh Scarlet Brigade, I get a lil carried away with thinking our guard is off the hook. Trust me, more than anyone... I understand FHS' faults. But I believe highly in being proud of what you're good at. And I dont understand why it's looked so down upon when someone says a certain section of their band is awesome? I have said it before and I will say it again... I am so supported of Benicia winning! I think they deserve it I mean come on... Fairfield has been through some stuff the past few years and the talent level has gone down. But don't hate on the program.. hate on the people who ruined it!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:12 pm

I do hate the people that ruined it. It goes farther down than most understand. And I have no problem with people being proud of the positive things they do...I have a problem with the "after the fact, we are better" syndrome. When I was in high school, it was all about playing some sweet beats and making people happy watching our show. Well, 3 NCBA championships later, I see what goes on in other circuits and I feel deprived. What I thought was good...was in reality mediocre. Now I try and teach my kids to strive past what they "think" the best is. I tell them not to care about scores or trophys. All they need to worry about is being the best line they can. If they feel good, learn, and have fun...then they are at the top.

brass4u2003

Not exactly

Post by brass4u2003 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 11:45 am

8 Ball:

I think you need to add that Fairfield lost to Vintage because of a SEVEN point penalty. That does kind of make a difference.

B4U

8-ball
Veteran
Veteran

Post by 8-ball » Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:39 pm

Well in the past the director has made sure the band can make it through the zone and the drum major doesn't do a routine for too long. They haven't been ticked 7 points before and lost, so it is still a new precident.

MasterT
Rookie
Rookie

Propositios for Point Losses

Post by MasterT » Thu Oct 09, 2003 12:19 am

It has been awhile since being an active member/spectator of NCBA marching band events, so there may have been changes since the last time I've been "at the stand". Please forgive me if my information is incorrect.

I believe the penalty for not having continuous music while the ensemble is in the zone is 5 points from the subtotaled score. I can't figure out where the additional 2 point penalty came from, unless for some odd reason the inspection judge (if there was one) was having a field day with them.

That would not make a lot of sense, for it would go against the strict traditions of the Scarlet Brigade. PLUS, it would mean that there would have been 20 INSPECTION ERRORS. I couldn't believe that that this would ever happen. Even the most careless of bands couldn't have even that many.

In conclusion, I never heard of a penalty for having a drum major routine being too long. I recall having somewhere in the ballpark of a 42-45 count salute routine. And the band score was never penalized for that type of showmanship that I put on.

Unless, there was no salute. But again, hard to imagine that the Scarlet Brigade would be carless like that.

Oh, the mysteries...
Once a drum major, always a drum major.

GuarDiva04
Rookie
Rookie

Clarification

Post by GuarDiva04 » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:14 am

Just to clarify... we DID get points docked for not passing through the zone... which is very unusual but we have some shaky marchers this year and I think nerves set in. As for where the other two points came from, only our instructional staff knows. I know we had a *few* inspection errors but not nearly enough for a whole 2 point deduction. So hey, we'll improve our show for Del Oro! Hopw to see you all there!
Fairfield Open 2001-2004

PGOK
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by PGOK » Thu Oct 09, 2003 10:27 am

Once given the signal to begin, the band has 30 seconds to start. After 30 seconds a 2 point penalty is given. As I understand it, that was the penalty. The other possible 2 point penalty is for not staring the competition music before the last rank passes the start line. FYI, Fairfield had one inspection error (maybe two).

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: Propositios for Point Losses

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Oct 09, 2003 2:43 pm

MasterT wrote:That would not make a lot of sense, for it would go against the strict traditions of the Scarlet Brigade. PLUS, it would mean that there would have been 20 INSPECTION ERRORS. I couldn't believe that that this would ever happen. Even the most careless of bands couldn't have even that many.
Just to let you know, I've seen it happen before. I recall there being an inspection judge at Foothill's competition a few years ago that just went berserk with the ticks. There were dozens of bands that received 10, 15, 20, 25 inspection errors.

drum4life
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by drum4life » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:29 pm

Raiden wrote:Yet we will not the band will pull together and beat Leigh and we do have an equal chance of beating you guys as you said.
raiden
Sorry Raiden, didn't look like it happened.

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 12:47 pm

Just to let you know, I've seen it happen before. I recall there being an inspection judge at Foothill's competition a few years ago that just went berserk with the ticks. There were dozens of bands that received 10, 15, 20, 25 inspection errors.
Can't you only get 20? So it can only be up to 2 points of ur total? That's what I heard, but I'm not sure.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."