How did you choose your instrument?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

BD94Euph
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by BD94Euph » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:07 am

in case anyone is still following this...

In 4th grade I picked tenor sax, but they were all gone. Then I decided the trombone looked cool, but they were also all gone. Our teacher told me rthat the oh-so-cool baritone had the same voice range as those and the rest is history. I often wondered why I chose the only instrument you had to HUG, I mean it's nerdy enough right? But I love the Euph and as I got older, parts, solos, and features really told me I chose the right horn.

thunderdrmz
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thunderdrmz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:12 pm

It was all about drums from the beginning for me. Although before my parents gave me drum lesson at the we age of 8, I had to complete a course in the Susuki keyboard program to prove my desire for music. 3 decades later I'm still enjoying hitting things.
Rhythm is my business, rhythm is what I sell

Music_freak211

Re: How did you choose your instrument?

Post by Music_freak211 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:14 pm

I started band when I was in fourth grade. And not because I wanted to; I was forced by my mom. The day the permission slips were due, she said, "Pick an instrument!" so, I randomly picked flute. I love it now, and I'm proud to say I've played flute for 8 years. When I entered high school, however, I expanded: now I play the piano, saxophone, some percussion instruments, and I'm currently learning tuba.

Thanks mom. :yeah:
Music is the soul that seeks to fly freely and untamed; oft' it is not disturbed, nor should it be.

ThunderBandRocks
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by ThunderBandRocks » Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:43 am

I first started band in the 5th grade and played the trumpet. I was really bad at it. So, in 6th grade I switched to alto sax, and by the end of the year I pick up the Bari. I didn't like the Bari so I switched back to alto and have been playing it for the last 3 1/2 years and am awesome at it. :D
"General Mitchell"(2008)-Alto Sax

D-Revolution
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by D-Revolution » Mon May 18, 2009 3:32 pm

To be honest, I would not even had been in band if it were not for all my friends joining beginning band in 6th grade. Because we had a choice of electives, I was almost about to take wood shop, home economics, and computer tech. I am sooooooo glad they persuaded me to take the band path, even though I already had musical experience through piano for several years.

In terms of choosing an instrument, I have to admit that the sole reason I chose the saxophone was because Lisa from "The Simpsons" played the saxophone as well, and I really loved that show back then!

And that is how television has ultimately influenced my life for the better! See? TV isn't as bad as the news reports make of it. :D
AHS: Drum Major 2006-2008
Saxophone Section Leader 2004-2008
Vice President 2007-2008
UCLA: Band Member 2008-Present!

"To be early is to be on time, to be on time is to be late, to be late is to FAIL!"

rayman2314
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by rayman2314 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:44 pm

At first i wanted to play the trumpet but they ran out of trumpets :( so then my teacher suggested i played alto sax so i say what the heck and tired it then i learned to like it but then i got ask to which to tenor casue it was needed so i did and i got possed by the tenor saxes deep tone so now i play the tenor sax.

MomoXD569

Post by MomoXD569 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:06 pm

Well my band director in middle school came to the elementary school to let us try instruments. Also, like in my district we do not have band till middle school.
Hello nice to meet you :D

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:34 am

Which is more band than the kids have here in the Philippines.

bigcity
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bigcity » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:21 pm

I chose the trumpet in middle school due to a number of reasons:

1) my father played trombone and while I did want to play a brass instrument, I didn't want to grow up trying to live up to my fathers success on the trombone.

2)being raised since a toddler on band reviews and field shows, trumpet soloists seemed to get the most reaction from the crowd.(guess I already had the trumpet player attitude)

3)Everyone knows that trumpet players get most chicks in high school
(who wouldn't be one knowing that!)

4)I wanted to play principal trumpet in the Boston Pops under John Williams

SavvyLee
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SavvyLee » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 pm

I started off in 4th grade on clarinet cause that's what caught my eye, not to mention, my good friend wanted to play that as well (ya, I know... Stupid). I got good on that untill Freshman year when my band director needed alto players.

Having no real attachment to anyone in my then-section, I was willing to make the switch, and now I'm first chair and section leader.
THIS is why we do what we do.

tubatromboneclarinet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tubatromboneclarinet » Thu Nov 26, 2009 1:04 pm

I started playing clarinet in 3rd grade becasue i thought it would be like a recorder. Well of course i was wrong but i did pretty good on I continue to play the clarinet. In 6th grade my elementry school had a jazz band and I have always wanted to play jazz. They need another trombone so i played trombone and still do. When I was a Freshemen my band director need a tuba player and so i was his 11th tuba player.