college

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

UCLA, UC Berkeley, NYU

UCLA
39%
UC Berkeley
35%
NYU
26%

Total votes: 23

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

college

Post by aandm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:45 pm

my son just got into Berkeley, UCLA, and NYU.
After hours of research, we are still without any clue as to where he should go. He wants to do business and already got into NYU's Stern but Haas at Berkeley and Anderson at UCLA are both amazing too. The only downside is that he has to apply for bussiness at UCLA and UCB after two years and he may not get in. Money isn't an issue so if any of you have any advice it would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by aandm on Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cymtech
Veteran
Veteran

Post by cymtech » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:07 pm

can i have some money? jk.

seriously though, good for him :D

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:21 pm

HAHA not that rich =)

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:02 pm

Well I don't think academic differences are all that important between the three. All the schools have good reputations, and if you get a grad degree no-one will care where your undergrad was.

The weather in New York is just a bit different from UCLA and UCB. That, and NYU's distance from home makes it the most different.

I Guess LA and Berkley is matter of preference....LA has more smog, but warmer weather, better beaches. Dunno what kinda area UCLA is in, but I've heard its nice. I know Berkeley is mediocre...
Also L.A> probably has more of a big city feel (as of course does new york).
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:45 pm

yeah its more city vs rural idea. We are really confuzed

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:47 pm

Have you toured all 3 locations? He won't know where he likes until he is on the campus walking around...

I highly suggest going on a tour before accepting!
Soldiering On!

aandm
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aandm » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:43 pm

yeah we toured all three areas. He really liked LA"s campus but he loves Berkeley for the atmosphere and NYU for the heart of the city thing.

wind-drummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by wind-drummer » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 pm

UCLA is in Westwood, which is one of the nicer area's of LA. It's closer to the business district (hint) and there are really tall buildings, plus In-N-Out :gb: .

All three schools are REALLY competitive. If it was me, I would choose Berkeley or LA, just to be close to home, but not too close.
Do It!! You Won't!!

Squirtle
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Squirtle » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:58 am

i have personally toured UC Berkeley and i know people that go to UCLA. i, personally, prefer Berkeley. nice atmosphere and it's close to home, but far enough away to be considered away from home... if that makes any sense...

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:16 am

I don't know anything about business schools and this is a band site; does he march or perform in concert band? NYU has no marching program and not much of a concert program either, if their website is any indication. UCLA has a corps-style marching band and Cal's marching band is rich (some would say mired) in tradition, marching like it's 1950. I know UCLA offers performance courses for non-music majors, not sure about Cal, but that should be easy to look up.

One thing I want my kids to do is get a different community experience when they go to school. We're in a suburban bedroom community, so I'd really like them to live in the big city where they can be exposed to many different cultures.

Oh, and if he's going to Berkeley, you'd better have him start calling it "Cal" instead of UCB. Lots of folks up there are very proud of being the first UC, don't like to be reminded that they are now just a link in the chain...especially of their relation to UCLA.
"The conductor of an orchestra doesn't make a sound. He depends for his power on his ability to make other people powerful." - Benjamin Zander

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:42 am

Hahha Chapagne is very right.....UCB threw me off for a while...cause I think of it as Cal or as THE university of California :lol:
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

DMJUDGE
Veteran
Veteran

just to add

Post by DMJUDGE » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:04 am

I know some people who went into impacted majors at some UC schools, and did not get into their desired program because of it. Basically they have certain classes that count as your pre-major work. In some of these classes they will "pass" the top X% regardless of how many passing grades. Because of this these people had to take statistics twice even though they passed it with a B and an A-. Even the A- did not get them into the program. Something to consider.
Brennan England
Warner Middle School, Director

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Re: just to add

Post by cobybos » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:16 am

DMJUDGE wrote:I know some people who went into impacted majors at some UC schools, and did not get into their desired program because of it. Basically they have certain classes that count as your pre-major work. In some of these classes they will "pass" the top X% regardless of how many passing grades. Because of this these people had to take statistics twice even though they passed it with a B and an A-. Even the A- did not get them into the program. Something to consider.
You won't get further from the CA lifestyle then NY. Is your son mature enough to live in a big city like NYC? For some, NYC is too big of a leap from their hometown. I moved to Boston after college and it was still tough for me! I am so happy I got out of California to experience the other coast, even though I am moving back to CA, I don't regret living in Boston for 8 years at all. Moving far away from family and friends is tough but rewarding. If your son is ready, I would say give NYU a shot.

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:20 am

My mother is a Bruin, so I voted for UCLA; I'm a Trojan (USC), but that is another story altogether 8-) [Dad wanted me to go to Notre Dame(!), but I rebelled]

wind-drummer
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by wind-drummer » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:38 am

JazzGeek wrote:My mother is a Bruin, so I voted for UCLA; I'm a Trojan (USC), but that is another story altogether 8-)
dinner must be fun at your house =D
Do It!! You Won't!!