SAT's

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

SAT's

Post by MCclarinetdude » Sun Oct 05, 2003 4:08 pm

Anyone taking the SAT's on Oct. 11? I started studying for them pretty late (last Sunday). I haven't been keeping up with my studying, too. :( So I'm gonna have to cram a lot in this week.

I also need to find out how to get to my testing location. I wasn't able to get a spot at my own school, or anywhere near my home, so I got randomly placed at Patrick Henry High School in San Diego. Anyone know how to get there?

Oh yeah, and does anyone have any tips on how to take the SAT successfully? Thanks.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

Shrekinet
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Shrekinet » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:07 pm

aw...poor thing. i hope everything goes fine with SATs. i wanted to take the PSATs but we have a parade that day, so i'm still debating on whether or not to take them. well newhoo...GOOD LUCK! and maybe study somewhere like Starbucks. i dunno, its just something about coffee places that make me feel smart. lol

sonya
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sonya » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:33 pm

My only advice is don't freak out, you either know it or you don't.

A side note - I never took SAT prep classes, I didn't study for the test, and I was ranked 300 something out of a class of 400 something. When I took the test, I did about 20 of the math problems when I decided to skip it, and filled in whatever. I was only there because my parents insisted upon it.

I got a 1230. My verbal score was in the 700's, and my math score was around 400. My language scores were among the top 97% of all students taking the SATs..

--Point being, you take a ridiculously bad student like I was.. and if someone like I had been could still get a 1230 without trying, well, you know. You have nothing to worry about. I think studying could probably help your score by about a 100 points, but nothing more significant than that. There's really no need to cram if you're a decent student at school already, they don't drill you on obscure facts and obscenely technical points. The test is mostly about comprehension.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:59 pm

I did well on the SAT's...I don't remember my scores...

The thing to do is to take advantage of the resources available. Get the software, go to the classes, buy the books.

Statistically, when this happens the scores are higher. However, then that means that your scores are based on the resources. That means that the big SAT test doesn't really measure how smart you are, but rather how well you can utilize resources.

Another reason why the SAT should be dis-credited.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:06 pm

Watch lots of Conan O'Brien. Every now and then he does a bit called "Sample SAT Analogies". They will help you out a lot, plus they're hilarious. :lol:
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:24 pm

I hate analogies. They don't prove anything, which is why the collegboard is getting rid of them soon!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Sun Oct 05, 2003 10:34 pm

Good thing I got to college before the SAT is getting reworked.

Oh yeah.....1290
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

MCclarinetdude
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MCclarinetdude » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:26 pm

Hey, like I said in my first post, I got placed in a testing location that I didn't want. I just found out from someone today that I can show up to the location that I wanted to go to like an hour before registration, and I can actually wait in a line to get my test location changed before I take the test. Is this true, because I'd rather go to my school than go to some faraway place that I don't know how to get to.
Mt. Carmel c/o 2004

The Sun Never Sets...

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:34 pm

MCclarinetdude wrote:Hey, like I said in my first post, I got placed in a testing location that I didn't want. I just found out from someone today that I can show up to the location that I wanted to go to like an hour before registration, and I can actually wait in a line to get my test location changed before I take the test. Is this true, because I'd rather go to my school than go to some faraway place that I don't know how to get to.
Don't take the risk.
As much as the SAT are invalid tests, they still mean alot. Those lines can normally get very long, but you should always go for the test if ya can. Don't risk missing it because it was at a school you don't know very well.

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:14 pm

I'm still a young'un, and i'm taking the PSAT soon. It's the tuesday after the las vegas comp, whenever that is. The 21st or something. Anyhoo, that stinks about your test location. I would get on yahoo maps or something and find directions if I were you, rather than go to your school and take the risk that they won't let you test there.

Trumpet Man 05
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Trumpet Man 05 » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:27 pm

Are you serious? That sucks...now Conan will have to think of something new to make fun of every week...

...or will he...??
~Psalm 150~

OAS AAS LLS

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:54 pm

I was supposed to take the PSAT's this weekend. But I was past the deadline. It just ruined my day that I couldnt take those wonderful PSAT's. I'm so depressed.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

DJ Dilicious
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by DJ Dilicious » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:55 pm

I'm taking the PSAT on the 18th and we have a comp that day. I'm gonna take it in my band uniform then drive over to the comp right after haha. That should be interesting...just to see the look on some people's faces. :D
"Perfection is an illusion measured by the mind's imagination."

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:25 am

DJ Dilicious wrote:I'm taking the PSAT on the 18th and we have a comp that day. I'm gonna take it in my band uniform then drive over to the comp right after haha. That should be interesting...just to see the look on some people's faces. :D
I took SAT's on a field show day...the only field show I was ever late too as well.

TrumpetsRule17
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TrumpetsRule17 » Fri Oct 10, 2003 7:25 pm

lol studying the nite before for me
kinda tired so o wells
ill see wut happens wit my last chance
haha
USC c/o 08
Arcadia Band vp 03-04