New Sins?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

New Sins?

Post by tooweird » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:41 pm

what do you guys think about these new "sins" that this ultra-conservative pope has just put up. regardless if you're catholic or not.

even though im catholic...i personally think these are ridiculous...next thing you know it'll be a sin to drive your car and breathe!

:td:
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:44 pm

polluting is now a cardinal sin! so much for ultra-conservative
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:03 am

Oh darn, and I thought I had a genetic engineering loophole all figured out. :shs:
The o_O emoticon gives me the heebee jeebees.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:54 am

People are still paying attention to the Catholic Church?

Why? :?

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:56 am

Hostrauser wrote:People are still paying attention to the Catholic Church?

Why? :?
A lot of people, as I have learned from my years living directly across from a Catholic Church that is bursting at the seams every Sat. and Sun, and apparently our street makes good overflow parking. Nevermind, you didn't even leave enough of an opening at the end of my driveway for me to get out. :roll:
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:03 am

i don't pay much attention usually....but i just get worked up cause they make no sense! :x
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

Flying bird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Flying bird » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:43 pm

What are the new sins?

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:23 pm

According to the Catholic Church, a person who commits a mortal sin risks burning in hell unless it's absolved through confession and penitence.
The "New Mortal Sins" are:
Genetic modification
Human experimentations
Polluting the environment
Social injustice
Causing poverty
Financial gluttony
Taking drugs

The original "Seven Deadly Sins", established by Pope Gregory the Great in the 6th century, are:
Lust
Gluttony
Avarice
Sloth
Anger
Envy
Pride

So ... you have 14 ways to go to He*double pencils now.

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:55 pm

the one that gets me is being obscenely rich...im not but...this is coming from a guy who drinks from a golden challice and sits in a pope mobile...and sits on a throne. whoopee :twisted:
Mark L.
Colorguard Instructor

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:05 pm

What's really amusing is that over the course of its inglorious history, the Catholic Church itself is severely guilty of at least eight of those fourteen sins.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:44 pm

Well ... I'm toast and I know I'll probably have to say 85 Hail Mary's for this and do 500 hours of Community Service ...

Genetic modification - technically by having children I've genetically modified something as each generation's genes mutate slightly. Since I've had 2 I guess I'm guilty 2x over.
Human experimentations - Does messing with someone's mind (my husband's) count as "experimentation"?
Polluting the environment - Oh heck ... I think from the minute we are born we "pollute" something ... can I hide the poopy diapers? I certainly can't burn them ... that would pollute the air.
Social injustice - Depends on your definition of "do the right thing" I suppose. "Easy to be hard, Easy to be cold, Easy to be proud, Easy to say no ..." I never learned to say "no" ... but I can be a hard, proud B.
Causing poverty - Does taking a paycheck from an employer who eventually files for bankruptcy count as "causing poverty"? How about if it was 28 years ago?
Financial gluttony - at what point is too much too much? $1 million? $1 billion? $1? Technically "wealth" isn't measured by "G_d" but is a creation of man. Details! I want to know how much I can make dollar-wise before getting that engraved invitation to the fire pit.
Taking drugs - OK ... so if I'm dying of cancer and take drugs to get rid of the cancer, I've committed a sin? Does Midol count as a drug?

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:15 pm

you can't really compare pre-vatican reform church to the current catholic church. but yes the church was definitely guilty with some of those mortal sins but the current church can be held with integrity unlike the pre-vatican I reform church
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

Ex Nihilo
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Ex Nihilo » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 am

what gets me is this:

who are they (fellow human beings who are no better than us in God's eyes) to make rules and decide things for God? that's why i don't like the Catholic church. they think they're on equal footing with God in some aspects. but then again... i'm beginning to have issues with pretty much all churches at this point.

i wanna start my own church.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:57 am

Ex Nihilo wrote:i wanna start my own church.
I worship Alvis. Alvis was the holiest man ever to slap iron! He killed for your sins! "Vengeance is mine," quoth Alvis. Then he shot that guy right in the freakin' face!

Eric B
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Eric B » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:16 pm

Ex Nihilo wrote:what gets me is this:

who are they (fellow human beings who are no better than us in God's eyes) to make rules and decide things for God? that's why i don't like the Catholic church. they think they're on equal footing with God in some aspects. but then again...
Well, that's what you get if you want to be a Catholic. Leftist Catholics always kill me when compaining about the church and it's authoritarian ways. If you want things to change, tough, you're supposeed to do what your Pope/Bishop/Priest says because that's the whole point of an organized religion. Don't like it? Then you can't be Catholic, there's no eating your cake when dealing in metaphysical absolutes...