The official 2008 Presidential Election Thread!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Who are you voting for/supporting?

Hillary Clinton
24%
John McCain
30%
Barack Obama
31%
Ron Paul
15%

Total votes: 54

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:59 am

Hostrauser wrote:Incorrect: it is an equal playing field (every candidate can spend the same amount on advertising should they raise it). And you get the "free advertising" (ie, discussion on shows) FROM being a front runner. I feel you are switching up the cause and effect of media exposure.
I disagree, but don't feel like arguing the points, besides it's not like I'm changing anyone's mind here. Obviously we could argue until we're blue in the face over whether or not Ron Paul is a good candidate, and was treated fairly by the media, etc. etc. etc. But I'm sure you are just as tired of it as I am.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:52 am

The Aceman wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:Incorrect: it is an equal playing field (every candidate can spend the same amount on advertising should they raise it). And you get the "free advertising" (ie, discussion on shows) FROM being a front runner. I feel you are switching up the cause and effect of media exposure.
I disagree, but don't feel like arguing the points, besides it's not like I'm changing anyone's mind here. Obviously we could argue until we're blue in the face over whether or not Ron Paul is a good candidate, and was treated fairly by the media, etc. etc. etc. But I'm sure you are just as tired of it as I am.
Yes, but I would like to add one final point that I was too fuzzy-headed last night to fully flesh out.

The "Ron Paul Revolution" can talk all they want about how popular his message is, how it's sweeping the country by storm, etc. etc.; but I think they are deluding themselves slightly and refusing to look at all evidence to the contrary. To me, Ron Paul is no different than a Mike Gravel or Dennis Kucinich. Their platforms, no matter how much their supporters claim otherwise, simply are not that popular. And a vocal minority should not be confused with a growing minority.

As for the media, they are interested in one thing and one thing only: an audience. Media is a business, and they support the political party of the almighty dollar. Whether Democrat or Republican, wackaloon liberal or conservative bigot, fact or fiction, the media will focus on whatever gives them the biggest audience. It really is that simple. To imply that there is some conspiracy within the media, that "they don't want you to know" or whatever, would require an unshakable moral or positional ground which (as should be apparent) is in direct contradiction with the most basic fact of the media: that is, to make it in media your beliefs cannot trump the dollar, and you must be willing to compromise your positions to attract the highest bidder. I don't care if Paul's platform consisted of "beat your children and kill puppies"; if enough people were behind it, the media would be all over it.

Needless to say, I'm not sold on the concept of "media-made" candidates.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:38 am

Some interesting facts for the people that argue the military folks doing the fighting don't want to leave the Iraq and such as, because it would be considered weak or a U.S. loss:

Message of strong national defense and strictly following the Constitution resonates with American servicemen and women

ARLINGTON, VIRGINIA – According to opensecrets.org, the top three contributors to Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul’s campaign are from the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy and U.S. Air Force respectively.

“No matter how you measure it, Dr. Paul has the support of our nation’s brave servicemen and women,” said Kent Snyder, Ron Paul 2008 campaign chairman. “His message of a strong national defense, and only going to war with a declaration of war – as mandated by the Constitution – resonates with those who risk their lives to defend that Constitution.”

No branch of the military appears among the “top contributors” to GOP frontrunner John McCain’s campaign.

Additionally, Ron Paul’s military contributions are greater than those of all other current candidates – John McCain, Mike Huckabee, Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama –combined.

The “Top Contributors” figures can be found at www.opensecrets.org.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:20 am

Ironically enough, Mitt Romney has endorsed John McCain. Gotta love politics.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 am

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:05 am

When you're done reading the article, read all the comments for a good laugh. And people wonder why I don't take Ron Paul or his supporters seriously.
Then research the fact Obama is RELATED to Dick Cheney AND Bush. They are COUSINS!!!!
:rotf:

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:48 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Then research the fact Obama is RELATED to Dick Cheney AND Bush. They are COUSINS!!!!
:rotf:
Clarification: yes, I know that Obama really IS an eleventh-cousin to President Bush and a ninth-cousin once-removed to Dick Cheney. I'm laughing at anyone who could find that meaningful. It's along the line of Nostradamus' predictions and the like: if you draw a family tree big enough (ie, go back far enough) you can connect yourself with almost anyone.

Conventional genealogies conceal how rapidly genes get diluted down the generations. You inherit directly only half of your father’s genes, a quarter of each grandfather’s, an eighth of any great-grandfather’s. And with ancestors much further back, you may share no more genes than you do with a random stranger met in Times Square.

Once you get to that "ninth-cousin" and "eleventh-cousin" crap, you're just making connections for the sake of making connections. There's no real genetic relation (Fact: as "eleventh-cousins," President Bush and Barack Obama can have no more than 0.0488% of their genetic material in common; that's less than 1/20th of 1%, or not even enough to amount to one single solitary gene).

Hell, I'm the direct great-great-great-great-great-grandnephew of President James K. Polk's second-cousin; maybe I should run for President. It's in my blood. :roll:

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:06 am

Hostrauser wrote:As for the media, they are interested in one thing and one thing only: an audience. Media is a business, and they support the political party of the almighty dollar. Whether Democrat or Republican, wackaloon liberal or conservative bigot, fact or fiction, the media will focus on whatever gives them the biggest audience. It really is that simple. To imply that there is some conspiracy within the media, that "they don't want you to know" or whatever, would require an unshakable moral or positional ground which (as should be apparent) is in direct contradiction with the most basic fact of the media: that is, to make it in media your beliefs cannot trump the dollar, and you must be willing to compromise your positions to attract the highest bidder. I don't care if Paul's platform consisted of "beat your children and kill puppies"; if enough people were behind it, the media would be all over it.

Needless to say, I'm not sold on the concept of "media-made" candidates.
I don't know... I would say most media "should be" looking for the biggest audience but some of their actions lately make me scratch my head in wonder. The New York Times keeps offending so many of their readers that their circulation is dropping and their stock price is at an all time low. The recent rediculous article about John McCain is an example of their failings. The owner of the Times has publically stated his goal is to effect political change. I thought their goal was supposedly to report the news without bias. Then look at MSNBC, their numbers are tanking as well since they openly made the decision to tilt their coverage to the left. The folks want unbiased reporting so they can make up their own minds. They don't want to be spoon-feed what to think. If you want to see what organizations are trying to be unbiased just look who leads in the ratings...

The media will only cover what "it" thinks is important. Do you hear much reporting on what is happening in Iraq right now? Nobody is getting blown up so I guess there is no news to report, eh? God forbid they have to report success by the current administration.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:34 am

Mike Huckabee has withdrawn from seeking the repulican nomination and has been deleted from the poll. He had 1 vote at the time of deletion.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 am

With every passing day I'm reminded of why I left the Democratic Party.

This neck-and-neck race between Clinton and Obama is supposed to be "a good thing," but I just can't shake the uneasy feeling over their bickering and party's general failure to reach a consensus.

There was a great western made back in the 80s called "Silverado." In one scene, (good guy) Scott Glenn gets ambushed by the bad guys and beaten ssenseless. As he's lying there on the ground, one of the baddies smirks and says, "He's practicin' so hard for a fight, he missed the whole thing."

I think the Democrats are doing the same.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:30 am

... and what's even more unsettling is the kissy kissy make up that will happen once the primaries are done and either Obama or Clinton are looking for that VP job. They will become running mates and cite their "opposing views" as being a "well-rounded" ticket. :roll:

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:04 am

is ron paul still even in this? i keep hearing that mccain won the race. or is this just another way the media will keep people from voting for paul?
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:47 am

Amusing primary fact of the day...

Loving County, Texas is the least populated county in the United States.

The results from yesterday's primary in Loving County, Texas:
Barack Obama - 7 votes
Hillary Clinton - 5 votes

:lol:

Only 12 of the 47 eligible voters in the county participated. There were no Republican votes cast.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 pm

Nreuest wrote:is ron paul still even in this? i keep hearing that mccain won the race. or is this just another way the media will keep people from voting for paul?
John McCain is the presumptive nominee, mathematically he has been estimated to have obtained enough votes to make impossible for any other candidate to win. However, nothing is official until the national convention. Paul has not withdrawn from the race, not to win, but to continue spreading his message. He has been esitimated to have secured the republican party's nomination for his Texas congress seat.

Nreuest
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Nreuest » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:51 pm

The Aceman wrote:He has been esitimated to have secured the republican party's nomination for his Texas congress seat.
TEXAS? lucky me! he is pretty popular over here i must say.
"I haven't slept for ten days......because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg