So what's the big deal with Bose® anyways?

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Products

Post by JCYS » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:34 pm

I could go into a LITANY about why IF that Apple is a better computer...and Hostrauser's point is well taken...I don't think anyone would say Apple is a superior computer...they WOULD say Apple is a better operating system...anyway...
why that is irreleveant. Beta was a superior system over VHS tapes....it lost. A computer company with 4% market share has lost the battle both for computer & operating system. It is now what is called in industry...a "niche" market...ie graphics, etc. And I do very much realize that people who are "into" Apple are passionate about it...even if they do have to run them in PC emulation mode to find software for them.. :wink:
No...just playing with you... :D

But..back to the topic...Bose...

I appreciate Aceman's statement about trying the products..but truly, alot of people are passionate about how great Bose is...from their "Wave Radio" to their home systems. Now, I wouldn't put those people in the "audiophile" catagory...they are going to go out and buy Thiel speakers for $14,000 a pop that you have to have a 1000 watt amp to drive....and it will sound great....or Lynn or someother high end stuff.

BUT...I have not heard Bose live up any of that either. I find they tend to have way too much mid and high end drive to their speakers, boomy bass, and most especially, lack presence.

Actually, I have a decent system at home, and you won't believe what it is...not JBL or Infinity or Polk or any of those. I was particulalry impressed with a set of speakers I rec'd for a computer some years ago...they were Cambridge Soundworks. So I investigated and found Cambridge makes home systems too...though only through a few stores.

I got an incredible 6 speaker system for a great price and it is WONDERFUL (for symphonic music and TV). WONDERFUL mid range (both front and back) an incredible clean bass (plus a 150w sub woofer for movie) and clear but NOT abusive tweeters. The only drawback is that it takes a bit to drive it...ie, the main towers do not have powered subwoofers. I highly recommend them.

JCYS

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:12 pm

Although I appreciate a good home theater system, it's not an area I'm willing to spend money on, just because I wouldn't make use of it enough for the cost to be worthwhile. My car audio, however, is a completely different story. I have a nice system that is within my means AND gives the most bang for the buck. I have an Alpine (the CDE-9845 for you enthusiats) stereo deck, because when it comes to stereo decks Alpine just does it better than anyone, just installing an Alpine deck alone will make your cars stock speakers sound much better. In the trunk I have two 12" MTX Thunder 4500's in a sealed box. I went with MTX because they are the best quality you can get at a low price (both subs preinstalled in the box was only $150), they are very clean sounding, have excellent rage with a low THD. I power them with a ZX750.1 Kicker amp, that puts out 750 watts RMS at 2 ohms. Normally a $600 amp, I was able to pick it up for $200 on sale at cruthfield.com, where it is now selling for $300. All that's left to do is to replace the factory installed tweeters, mids, and woofers. I'm looking at replacing them with the Infinity Kappa series or Infinity Reference series.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:44 pm

Ahh Cambridge! I have a set of Cambidge bookshelf speakers made when they were totally experimental, back when I was in college if you can believe it. They have been serviced a couple of times in the 30+ years that I have had them. They are still delightful. I have a Bose surround system in the den at home, and a great Blaupunkt in the SL. Lots of money (except the Cambridges), great sound on all of them, but none equal a live performance. 8-)