Nasty Flu Season

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Nasty Flu Season

Post by The Aceman » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:27 pm

It's a nasty flu season, I'm just getting over what I would say is the worst flu bug of my life. Kicked my A**! I was sick for two weeks and it just kept getting worse and worse. Never had a flu hit me like that before. :?
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:03 pm

It's going around big time, along with a few other cold strains. I had a bad cough earlier this month, which my wife had in January, and now she has something else.

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chapagne » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:42 am

Yes! Our house has been a revolving door of disease. It's been several weeks now that someone is sick. My son already went through a big cough and now it's coming back. Really, really annoying.

triple_threat
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by triple_threat » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:24 am

Take this years flu season seriously! I unfortunately had a near death experience because of the flu. My flu became pneumonia and then I contracted bacterial bronchitis on top of it. A pharmacy mistake added to the nightmare when I was given the wrong inhaler and had a extreme reaction to the steroids. I was in and out of the hospital several times and didn't work from the middle of December until the beginning of February. My lungs are still not 100%.

My husbands cousin ( in her early 40's) just died last week from the same bacterial bronchitis I had. She didn't seek medical attention early enough, and the bacteria spread to her brain!

Please go to the doctor early!

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:49 pm

I thought I had it but it quickly passed and realized it was just a runny nose and that's as bad as it had gotten. I drunk water like everyday and I also took care of myself and washed my hands and it passed in the matter of 2-3 days and was gone. I always have a runny nose but it was continuous. I haven't gotten the flu you guys have been discussing and I hope I don't get it either, sounds horrible. The worse thing I probably had in those 3 days was a cold haha.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:58 pm

I'm a big believer in AirBorne (or the equate equivalent AirHealth, gotta love the price), unfortunately I was out of it when I got sick and didn't feel well enough to go anywhere. You're supposed to take it as soon as you get sick, but I think it helps at anytime, I was feeling well enough to go out today and restocked on some AirHealth and took some, and already noticed a big difference. A big jump in the healing process. I know some people dispute the effectiveness, but I've used it and my personal experience says it works without a doubt.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:06 pm

My wife is a big believer in Airborne and in Zicam swabs. I hardly ever get sick, so I haven't tried Airborne. I haven't noticed any effect from the Zicam.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:20 pm

This year's flu was horrible. I caught it 3 days after getting my flu shot! :hmrd:

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:38 pm

Hostrauser wrote:My wife is a big believer in Airborne and in Zicam swabs. I hardly ever get sick, so I haven't tried Airborne. I haven't noticed any effect from the Zicam.
I've tried Cold-eeze (same as Zicam) and didn't notice any effect either, my dad swears by it though.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:23 pm

Can I just add one more thing...not only take this flu seriously (actually, there's three strains floating around last I heard, PLUS the norvovirus is still around), but please, unless you're having a confirmed medical emergency, do NOT call 911 and do NOT go to an emergency room. Seek medical attention from your doctor FIRST, and do so EARLY. Go to an urgent care if you have to. But emergency rooms which are for the TRUE medical emergencies are being overran by people that are either too stupid to realize it's just a flu, or, well...the other reason will just have me rant about our immigration policies and I don't need to get my dander up about that, now do I?

Wildabeast
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by Wildabeast » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:48 am

My wife & I just got over from a week of having "something". It wasn't bad enough that we needed to stay home, but it interfered with valuable free time.
-Stop global whining.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:11 am

Sad but when I get sick it forces me to do nothing and actually creates "free time". Whole family got flu but only brat #1 still has the cough. Brat #2 and I had the shot so we weren't too bad; "I'm too macho to get a silly shot" husband was down for about a week.

FluteOfTheNewWorld
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by FluteOfTheNewWorld » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:00 pm

I've had a cough for like 2 days but it isn't bothering me any more. I don't know if it's the flu because im fine other than that and plus I got the shot (even though it's not 100% effective)....
Soldiering On!