Favorite Wind Ensembles piece

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

SHS72
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SHS72 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:00 pm

Alright. I think people have already said a couple of these pieces, but they're so good that I shall mention them again. In no particular order..

Symphony #2 - Frank Ticheli
Slalom - Carter Pann
Redline Tango - John Mackey
Bandancing - Jack Stamp
Fate of the Gods - Steven Reineke

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:27 pm

SHS72 wrote:Fate of the Gods - Steven Reineke
Steven Reineke has never written anything that was any good. I have a CD of his works and they're all just terrible. :|

SHS72
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SHS72 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:43 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
Steven Reineke has never written anything that was any good. I have a CD of his works and they're all just terrible. :|
ah, really?

well actually, I partly agree with that. Fate of the Gods is the only piece that I'm actually into of his. I mean, I don't think his other works are terrible per se, but just not as appealing to me.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Just my opinion, of course. Fate of the Gods is on the CD I have. I remember listening through the CD and, while I can't remember which piece it was (I'm thinking "Into the Raging River"), this one piece was basically a thinly veiled rip-off of David Arnold's earlier film scores (Stargate and Independence Day especially). Some very, very similar rhythms and chord structures. I may have to suffer through another listening of the CD just to relive the righteous indignation I felt initially. :roll:

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:14 pm

SHS72 wrote:
Hostrauser wrote:
ah, really?

well actually, I partly agree with that. Fate of the Gods is the only piece that I'm actually into of his. I mean, I don't think his other works are terrible per se, but just not as appealing to me.
I bought that for my ensemble last year to play at our pops concert, but we made regionals and didn't have enough time to put it together. Anyway, I really liked it. It is stong, powerful, and yet mysterious throughout, kind of like the Idylls of Pegasus for string orchestra. Yes, Fate of the Gods kind of sounds like a rip off of pretty much any heroic fantasy based piece of music, but that kind of stuff is perfect for a pops concert; a total crowd pleaser.
You just can't encourage stupidity

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:50 pm

Well, after the SCSBOA honor band concert, I think Baron Cimetiere's Mambo is pretty much the best song I've played to date.

SHS72
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by SHS72 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:18 pm

senza cervello wrote:Well, after the SCSBOA honor band concert, I think Baron Cimetiere's Mambo is pretty much the best song I've played to date.
Amen to that!

I was in the W.E. for SCSBOA this year, and playing that piece definitely brought it to my list for top 5.

Tsar Nikk
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tsar Nikk » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:57 pm

Last edited by Tsar Nikk on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LowBrassMan

Post by LowBrassMan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:13 pm

My favorite is either Colonial Song by Grainger or Corsican Litany by Nelhybel. There's just so much music in these pieces, but its so hard to pick a favorite. Pound for pound, most any Grainger, Alfred Reed, Persichetti, or Nelhybel pieces are favorites.

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:34 am

I've always thought Marching Song of Democracy is a very under-appreciated and under-played work of Grainger's. I certainly would rather hear that instead of Lincolnshire Posy at a few more concerts!

ecwaufisxtreme

Favorite Wind Ensembles piece

Post by ecwaufisxtreme » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:09 pm

My favorite wind ensemble piece is by far Husa's Music for Prague 1968. It is an amazing work. Very modern, very tough and dissonant.

The only high school band that I am aware of that played this extremely difficult work is Poway. It is so hard that is mostly done by college groups. I've seen San Diego State Wind Symphony do it and even they had a little bit of a train wreck in the last movement.

Another work I also like is Parable by Persichetti. Many of his works for band like Divertimento is very good. The Holst Suites are also very good music along with Gordon Jacob's William Byrd Suite, Vaughan William's Toccata Marziale. How about Stravinsky's Symphonies of Wind Instruments? That is a very interesting work.

Most band works are not very interesting to me. A lot of them sound the same to me. I also don't think they have the musical quality that most good orchestral music has.

Tsar Nikk
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by Tsar Nikk » Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:16 pm

Last edited by Tsar Nikk on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mredom
New Recruit
New Recruit

OK

Post by mredom » Sun May 25, 2008 4:18 pm

I'm sure this will change-

My Last Concert as a Wind Band Conductor would probably include the following:(my way of deciding my favorite pieces)

Dance of the Jesters-Cramer/Tchaikovsky
1st Suite in Eb for Military Band-Holst
Elegy-John Barnes Chance
Divertimento for Band-Persichetti
Amazing Grace-Ticheli
Suite from Candide-Goldman/Bernstein
Shepherd's Hey/Irish Tune from County Derry-Grainger
October-Whiteacre
Armenian Dances Part 1-Reed

Also under consideration:

Symphony for Band-Hindemith
From Every Horizon-Dello Joio
Lincolnshire Posy-Grainger
Country Band March-Ives

Of course I have at least 20 years or more to go before my "last" concert-I know this list will change. It's a good exercise though.
"Here's the thing..."

tooweird
Veteran
Veteran

Post by tooweird » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 pm

first suite in E flat
Festival Prelude
Into the Storm
Sedona

those are my favorites...for the time being
Mark L.
Archbishop Riordan Crusader Marching Band (04-07)
Colorguard Instructor

FZ3

Re: Favorite Wind Ensembles piece

Post by FZ3 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:01 pm

Being a composer of wind band pieces I might tend to have an ecclectic taste in music. So here goes.

Trittico - Nelhybel
La Fiesta Mexicana - Reed
and the mountains rising nowhere - Schwanter
From a Dark Millenium - Schwanter
Festival Prelude - Reed
Austrailian Up Country Tune - Grainger
Chant & Jubilo - McBeth
Kaddish - McBeth
Symphony #3 - Giannini
Incantation & Dance - Chance
Songs of Heritage - C. Williams