The official 2008 Presidential Election Thread!

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Who are you voting for/supporting?

Hillary Clinton
24%
John McCain
30%
Barack Obama
31%
Ron Paul
15%

Total votes: 54

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

The official 2008 Presidential Election Thread!

Post by The Aceman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:46 am

Who are you voting for/supporting and why? Candidates are listed alphabetically by last name. Poll options will be deleted as candidates drop from the race.
Last edited by The Aceman on Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:35 am, edited 4 times in total.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:07 pm

Ah, see I knew I shouldn't have put a poll, whenever a poll is added to a thread people forget how to use the reply button...

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:30 pm

Oh, you mean we're supposed to vote and explain our reasoning and why we chose that candidate?! Whoa, that is a little much to expect isn't it, hahaha!!!! :roll:
Last edited by Jsaxm on Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You just can't encourage stupidity

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:49 pm

Reelect Dr. Gaius Baltar!
WHS '05, UCSB '10
WOP OT Round 1 Picture Battle Champion!
WOP OT Mafia Game II: First ever mafia champions
http://officeofstrategicinfluence.com/spam/

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:35 pm

IsnipeWithAknife wrote:Reelect Dr. Gaius Baltar!
I supposed that's just as realistic as listing and discussing third-party candidates.

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:42 pm

I guess the best way to explain my reasoning at this point is "lesser of the evils." For me, as unfortunate as it is, there is nobody that truly stands out from the crowd.

I can certainly say why I don't like certain people but, as momma always said, "we don't discuss religion or politics among friends." ;)

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 am

Jsaxm wrote:Oh, you mean we're supposed to vote and explain our reasoning and why we chose that candidate?! Whoa, that is a little much to expect isn't it, hahaha!!!! :roll:
For realz yo!!! hahaha.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:23 am

Hmmmmmmmmmm...I find it very very interesting that Ron Paul is first.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:15 am

The Aceman wrote:Ah, see I knew I shouldn't have put a poll, whenever a poll is added to a thread people forget how to use the reply button...
So who did you choose and why?

horns2thebachs
Veteran
Veteran

Post by horns2thebachs » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:26 am

If Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am moving to Canada.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:38 am

horns2thebachs wrote:If Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am moving to Canada.
I am voting for Clinton. Of all the candidates, Hillary has the most comprehensive universal health care plan, which is a big issue personally. I think that a Clinton/Edwards administration would make a wonderful administration. Obama has no experience with foreign policy and has not taken a true stand in the senate since his inauguration.

Hillary favors, stem cell research, a science that could help cure diabetes, Alzheimer's and numerous other diseases which affect millions. Mandatory pre-k, arts education, pro-choice, favors full benefits for same-sex couples and is Christian woman.

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:14 am

cobybos wrote:
horns2thebachs wrote:If Hillary Clinton becomes president, I am moving to Canada.
I am voting for Clinton. Of all the candidates, Hillary has the most comprehensive universal health care plan, which is a big issue personally. I think that a Clinton/Edwards administration would make a wonderful administration. Obama has no experience with foreign policy and has not taken a true stand in the senate since his inauguration.

Hillary favors, stem cell research, a science that could help cure diabetes, Alzheimer's and numerous other diseases which affect millions. Mandatory pre-k, arts education, pro-choice, favors full benefits for same-sex couples and is Christian woman.
You have just given me two reasons NOT to vote for Clinton ... politics and medical care, and politics and religion do not belong together in my book. I won't go further because this can get fugly very quickly.

Oh ... and Canada has government-run medical care ... it takes a friend 3 months to see a doctor from the time she picks up the phone to make the appointment, and she has to travel 200 miles one way because that is where the office is for the only Internist who specialized in diabetes. Why she needed the appointment? She needed to get a prescription refill for insulin (which expired the end of that month and which she needs to live). The doctor couldn't call it in? No ... not allowed. What did she do? Visited her sister in the U.S. and saw a doctor here to get an "emergency supply". :roll:

Oh yeah ... AND just for RHT and Hostrauser and while we are talking about Canada ... you do not have the right to bear arms in Canada but the ratio of gun deaths per 100,000 is about 3.9 in Canada to 1.8 in the U.S. 4/5 of the deaths by gunshot in Canada are suicides. When Canada went to stronger gun registration laws, suicides by gunshot decreased in favor of hanging, at a cost of $1 billion.

cobybos
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cobybos » Fri Jan 25, 2008 9:32 am

fieldshowqueen wrote:
cobybos wrote:

You have just given me two reasons NOT to vote for Clinton ... politics and medical care, and politics and religion do not belong together in my book. I won't go further because this can get fugly very quickly.
It doesn't have to get "fugly." Why would you take it there? I respect your opinion and views. Clinton being a Christian and her personal past speaks to her ethics and morals, which I believe is important to the person, not the administration.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:48 am

cobybos wrote: It doesn't have to get "fugly." Why would you take it there? I respect your opinion and views. Clinton being a Christian and her personal past speaks to her ethics and morals, which I believe is important to the person, not the administration.
:rotf: The same ethics and morals that had her say to Barak or Borat or whatever his name is...in essence..."I was working on such and such when you were still a lawyer representing so and so the Slumlord in inner city Chicago." Yeah...the same slumlord that Bill and Hilary are seen on Drudge Report having a photo taken with??? Yeah.

After Clinton is done raping and pillaging my paycheck so I can further support our ever growing welfare state, the illegal immigration that NO ONE GIVES A CRAP ABOUT IN OUR GOVERNMENT APPARENTLY, and of course, the wonderful Universal Health Care, this country will be a smoldering pile of horse dung that Das Furher Bush started working on about, ohhhhh....let's see....January 20th, what year did he start?????

The only redeeming quality is whatever you eluded to about arts education. But then again, I bristle at federal government sticking their fat noses into school stuff that should be handled on the state level.

But besides all of that...our only hope is someone who will never get elected and it sucks to know this. So I'm just going to have to grin and bear it. I'm either going to get a loony woman for a pres, a white/black guy that can't decide who he should pander to but is leaning towards blacks (I think--considering he brought in the ever-popular stereo type that black people can dance better than whitey during the last debate/slugfest with Shillary--and of course, I didn't see any black activitist stand up and scream that that was an unfair and outdated stereotype....), a crotchety old Vietnam vet who would, if given a chance, stand at the Mexican border with a arrow sign that says, "COME THIS WAY--WE'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!", a cross dressing adulterous (times how many times???) former mayor of New York City, or a big toothy grin having hair spray using east Coast tax raising hack who scares people to death because---GASP!!!!--he's a Mormon, and of course, we have to know all about his FREAKIN' UNDERWEAR before we find out how he's going to pull this country out of the poophole we're in...

Yeah. Great choices folks. We have such a brilliant and illuminated future in this country. Too bad that jackhole Bush and his idiot friends have made a joke of this country. Absolute.

But noooooo...let's go ahead and continue our anti-Constitutional ways, let's marginalize and villify the one person that has an unbelievably clear-cut and well thought plan....yeah...let's ignore the guy with a doctorate, who can actually understand what's happening to us and how to fix us.

Canada? Too cold. Mexico?? Makes our corruption look like a country full of Sunday School teachers.

I wonder if New Zealand has marching bands....hmmmmmmmmmm...I know they have Hobbits.... :shock:

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmm...I find it very very interesting that Ron Paul is first.
It's quite common to find Ron Paul leading in internet polls.