How Much Do You Practice A Week--And What On?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

How Much Do You Practice A Week--And What On?

Post by BGRtumpet » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:12 pm

How many hours a week do you practice individually (not counting school groups, or outside groups--though you can list them if you like)?

And what do you spend that time on......fundamentals (long-tones, scales, intervals etc.), etudes, music form a band, improv?

For Me: During school I get about 7 hours a week (an hour a day). That is about 75-85% fundamentals or etudes, with the rest split between improv/school music.

I spend an additional 15min a day or so on music theory/arranging/composing (one of those three depending on how I feel).

I know this is far more than a lot of people at my high school so I was curious how other schools practiced.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

guardthepiccolo
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by guardthepiccolo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:35 am

When I was in HS I was definitely not the most notable for practicing. I'd practice a few times a week when I felt like it. Life was so consumed by all of the band activities that really I didn't want to spend even more time practicing. Plus, I lived in an apartment and would get in trouble for practicing, so it was quite discouraging.
Now at SJSU I try to practice at least an hour a day. Last semester was tough because I was so busy, but I'm cutting back on some things so I will have more time to practice.
Benicia High School C/O '05
Colorguard Instructor

azn_zeratul
Rookie
Rookie

Post by azn_zeratul » Sat Jan 05, 2008 1:01 pm

whenever i feel like it -_-;; so thats like.. uhhh... yeah :)

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:22 pm

I remember when I was in college back at Cal Poly SLO when we had William Revelli as a guest conductor one year. He told us a story about a close friend that was a concertmaster for a world renouned orchestra. He friend said

"If I don't practice for one day I can tell.... If I don't practice for two days my conductor can tell.... But if I don't practice for three days my wife can tell."

Even though I am no longer a student and I am not a professional, I still try to practice a half hour to an hour five days a week.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:31 pm

Hahahaha yeah I love that quote......
You could tell cause half our jazz band was erm not-at-par so to speak getting back from break this last week.

Kinda to explain why I was asking.....At a trumpet forum this question came up and even among High-school player I was waayyy out-practiced--but I feel like as an academic student I can't really be expected to do more. So I thought I'd ask other marchers what they do..... :?
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:59 pm

Even as a teacher I still find time to practice. Usually I will do this before school or during my prep period. I even play in band with my kids sometimes to help them out with style and to give them a good sound to model after. When all you do is teach all day it is nice to pick up your horn and produce a sound that is pleasing to your ears, haha!
You just can't encourage stupidity

supermutant
Veteran
Veteran

Post by supermutant » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:52 pm

Quote to an unamed California Highway Patrolman:
"every moment that I'm not practicing, someone somewhere is practicing, and when we meet in an audition, I'm afraid that he/she will beat me." 8-)