WOP Fast Food Place of the Year

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

Which is your favorite "fast" food chain?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:02 am

Chipotle Grill
17%
In-n-Out
54%
Baja Fresh
No votes
Sonic
6%
McDonald's
3%
El Pollo Loco
6%
Del Taco
6%
Jack in the Box
6%
Carl's Jr.
No votes
Chick-fil-A
3%

Total votes: 35

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

WOP Fast Food Place of the Year

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:02 am

Which is your favorite? If I've left your favorite out... TOO BAD! :lol:

You can only have ten poll options, so we'd have to reach a consensus on which poll option to remove (preferably one with no or low votes) and replace with option X.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:59 pm

If you live in southern California, and you DIDN'T vote for In 'N Out...YOU ARE NO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIAN, and I would invite you to leave as soon as you possibly can. Pack your bags. Take a hike. Hasta la pasta.

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:04 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:If you live in southern California, and you DIDN'T vote for In 'N Out...YOU ARE NO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIAN, and I would invite you to leave as soon as you possibly can. Pack your bags. Take a hike. Hasta la pasta.
LOL!! I voted for In 'N Out. Shoo, that place is bomb! Now they're building one just about a mile away from my school by summer! So hopefully b4 a competition locally, we can hang out there. Also the after school rehearsals...my lunch money going there haha. Yup just can't wait.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:If you live in southern California, and you DIDN'T vote for In 'N Out...YOU ARE NO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIAN, and I would invite you to leave as soon as you possibly can. Pack your bags. Take a hike. Hasta la pasta.
SoCal has voted In 'N Out the best fast food restraunt for several years running. And they have announced plans to build in Southern Utah. An In 'N Out burger just opened by my house, my brother went to apply and apparently people we're lined up around the building to apply! :shock:
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

The Aceman
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by The Aceman » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:08 pm

saxplyr7 wrote:
LOL!! I voted for In 'N Out. Shoo, that place is bomb! Now they're building one just about a mile away from my school by summer! So hopefully b4 a competition locally, we can hang out there. Also the after school rehearsals...my lunch money going there haha. Yup just can't wait.
If you are talking about the one on Los Alamos by the Shell gas station, it's already open.
Go read "Ishmael" a novel by Daniel Quinn. It will literally change your life.
Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges.

saxplyr7
Veteran
Veteran

Post by saxplyr7 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:22 pm

The Aceman wrote:
saxplyr7 wrote:
If you are talking about the one on Los Alamos by the Shell gas station, it's already open.
:shock: Well....school's not back yet and out of my way for now...but awesome! So yea def. next school year after school I'm heading there haha.
Vista Murrieta Golden Alliance
GA '06 "Celestial Sketches"
GA '07 "Heroes"
GA '08 "Waves"
GA '09 "The Nile: River of Life"

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Screw In-n-Out. What's this? Another burger joint? Oh yeah, real original. :cool:

Yeah, okay... so their burgers are better than most. But when your entire menu has only five items, OF COURSE you're going to be good at them. ;) And maybe I'M the heretic, but I'm pretty WTF over their fries. Everyone else gushes over them like they're the best thing since chocolate jesus, but I don't find them any better (or worse) than fresh fries from McDonald's or Weinerschnitzel. (But they're sliced straight from the potato!! So? BFD. :roll:)

JediMasterBando
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JediMasterBando » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:36 pm

You're right. I'm not a southern Californian, and I did leave as soon as I possibly could. Besides, Dick's Drive-In in Seattle is way better than In 'N Out. :P
"Never look at the trombones. You'll only encourage them. " -Richard Strauss

'05-'08 MSU Spirit of the West Marching Band!
'08 Drum Major

Kappa Kappa Psi- Beta

The Sun Never Sets!
Mt. Carmel '01-'05

fieldshowqueen
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by fieldshowqueen » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:20 pm

Oh cool! I get to stay here because I voted for In N Out! Yea me.
But seriously ... their fries do suck. Sonic, Tommy's and Gilmore's (in Anaheim) have the best "real" fries. On the other hand, In N Out's shakes are mmmmmmmmmm. And order a McD's so-called-burger with a silver dollar patti versus a burger with 2 coffee-can-lid sized patties? No brainer there.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

In & OUt

Post by JCYS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 5:25 pm

When I was working with Vore back in the early 80's the joke was that they called it "In & Out" because thats exactly what their food did... :shock: :vomit:

Seriously, they make a good, old fashioned greasy burger. And yes, Hostrauser is correct, their fries suck big time.

Forgot one of my favorites in So Cal...TOMMIES!!! Yeah, kinda a like an In & Out with Chili on the burger too!!! They opened a place in Sacramento a few years ago, it advertises "chili burger's just like Tommies" and sure enough, they really are...even the chili tastes the same. Well worth it, since the closest we'll probably ever get to a Tommies is Bakersfield?

Not exactly fast food, but I miss Bob's Big Boy. Used to be a tradition that when PGOK and I went to All State (the occasional years I get kids in the band) we'd go to one of the last Bob's, which was in Fresno. Now it too is gone.

Two other great places....
Burrito King in Hollywood. Not sure it's still there, but for a while they were famous enough to start opening them in several locations. For a while, in the early 80's there was one about 1 block from Magnolia HS. The other great place is Casa Sanchez in Long Beach (they have several locations).

Whenever I judge in Reno its always a chance to go to Del Taco or El Pollo Loco.

In the "inland empire" Juan Pollo is a great place. Wonderful chicken and an awesome potato salad.

Some other great places now gone:
"Back Alley Pizza" in Fountain Valley. My favorite place in HS & College. Long gone now.
Love's Wood Pit BBQ. I used to work at one in Fountain Valley in HS. The guy who owned it sold it to start his own chain...he called it "Claim Jumper." 8-)
Another great place for awesome eats is "North Woods Inn" in the SanGabriel valley. When I was a little kid (I was born in the valley, but grew up in the OC) the fake snow on the roof used to facinate me.

Bad part about many great places to eat is that they just don't last. There was a place in Chico when I was first introduced to that town in 1981 called "La Fonda"...best mexican resteraunt (and chips & salsa) of all times. But they opened a "Chevy's" about 3 doors down, and it killed it. Even worse, about a year later the Chevy's went bankrupt. Dumb.

Ah well.

JCYS

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: In & OUt

Post by Hostrauser » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:13 pm

JCYS wrote:Forgot one of my favorites in So Cal...TOMMIES!!! Yeah, kinda a like an In & Out with Chili on the burger too!!! They opened a place in Sacramento a few years ago, it advertises "chili burger's just like Tommies" and sure enough, they really are...even the chili tastes the same. Well worth it, since the closest we'll probably ever get to a Tommies is Bakersfield?
They have Tommie's in San Diego. As you say, chili every where: chili on the burgers, chili on the fries, chili in the shakes (actually, maybe not, I didn't order one.

Another great chain is Rally's. They used to be in NorCal, but now I think the one in Fresno is the northernmost one in the valley. Best fries of all time.

Speaking of chili, though, the number one fast food place of all time, by far, is the Varsity in Atlanta and Athens, GA. Can't be beat. Chili dogs, french fries, and fried apple pie. Mmmmm.

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:17 pm

JCYS wrote:Seriously, they make a good, old fashioned greasy burger. And yes, Hostrauser is correct, their fries suck big time.

Forgot one of my favorites in So Cal...TOMMIES!!! Yeah, kinda a like an In & Out with Chili on the burger too!!! They opened a place in Sacramento a few years ago, it advertises "chili burger's just like Tommies" and sure enough, they really are...even the chili tastes the same. Well worth it, since the closest we'll probably ever get to a Tommies is Bakersfield?
Oh my...Tommy's. It's hard to resist the double chili cheeseburger in all of its gelatinous goodness. Many a FV Royal Regiment instructional staff "outing" was had there.
Not exactly fast food, but I miss Bob's Big Boy. Used to be a tradition that when PGOK and I went to All State (the occasional years I get kids in the band) we'd go to one of the last Bob's, which was in Fresno. Now it too is gone.
The official post-Friday night football game hang out of the Pasadena High School Marching Band. Nothing could beat their bowl of French fries and a vanilla shake...and you DIP THE FRIES!! Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!! They also had the hot fudge brownie ice cream extravaganza. yum.
Some other great places now gone:
"Back Alley Pizza" in Fountain Valley. My favorite place in HS & College. Long gone now.
Love's Wood Pit BBQ. I used to work at one in Fountain Valley in HS. The guy who owned it sold it to start his own chain...he called it "Claim Jumper." 8-)
Another great place for awesome eats is "North Woods Inn" in the SanGabriel valley. When I was a little kid (I was born in the valley, but grew up in the OC) the fake snow on the roof used to facinate me.
You mean "PizzaMania" wasn't around when you were at LB?! COME ON!!! Pizza Mania was the BOMB!!! Love's...right off the 22 at Harbor I believe? The building is still there but no mo' love. There's an old Love's up near me in Brea, now a Round Table Pizza. Remember the old Love's commercials? That stupid jingle...argh. And funny you should bring up North Woods. That's on Rosemead Blvd just south of Huntington, and yes, the snow on the room fascinated me as well. Did you ever eat around the corner from that place at the tugboat restaurant? I think it's called Skipper's or Salty's or something "marine" sounding. Had a few Pasadena High School staff meetings there.
Bad part about many great places to eat is that they just don't last. There was a place in Chico when I was first introduced to that town in 1981 called "La Fonda"...best mexican resteraunt (and chips & salsa) of all times. But they opened a "Chevy's" about 3 doors down, and it killed it. Even worse, about a year later the Chevy's went bankrupt. Dumb.
Just wanted to comment on this, because it's typically the "hole in the wall" restaurants that are truly the best. There's a place in Pasadena called Ranchero, and I grew up there eating Mexican food about once a week or so. LOVED that place. NO WAY could El Torito or Chevy's or Acupulco come close to this place. WHY? Because it wasn't pretentious. It was basic, and it was GOOOOOOOOOOOD. I say this because I just ate dinner at El Torito in Pasadena with my dad and brothers about 4 nights ago. True, I was sick and not feeling hot. But I don't think I have had WORSE food. It was HORRID. Service sucked too. And I ate ONCE at a Chevy's, and I will never eat there again. Overpriced SWILL.

((OK OK Turner...calm down...MOE LARRY CHEESE MOE LARRY CHEESE!!))

Ah well.

JCYS[/quote]

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:18 pm

Add another vote for In N Out. There's nothing better than a 4x4 with some animal style fries. Image

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I'm actually shocked at the level of rancor for the fries of my beloved In and Out. You want to know something? I'm an expert on fries. I really am. I think before the pansy waisted commie pinko hand wringers of the world complained about McDonald's and how they cooked their food, McD's fries were simply the best. Hands down. But you know who is a surprising close second in the world of fast food chains?

DEL FREAKIN' TACO!!!! Absolutely. They are ridged, and when served piping hot, you can't beat them. A close third to that would have been the OLD Burger King fries before they killed them off going for the textured coated crap they have now. Lots of single establishment burger joints around in the area (i.e. Duke's in Orange, John's Place in Tustin Ranch, PK Burgers in Brea, etc, etc) use the "steak fries" and mostly those are good. But I prefer shoestring style, and I think Del Taco is pretty dang good. The worst?? In and Out and Carl's Jr. (limp crap) pretty much take up the bottom spots.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

Post by JCYS » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:32 pm

Hostrauser wrote:
JCYS wrote:Forgot one of my favorites in So Cal...TOMMIES!!! Yeah, kinda a like an In & Out with Chili on the burger too!!! They opened a place in Sacramento a few years ago, it advertises "chili burger's just like Tommies" and sure enough, they really are...even the chili tastes the same. Well worth it, since the closest we'll probably ever get to a Tommies is Bakersfield?
They have Tommie's in San Diego. As you say, chili every where: chili on the burgers, chili on the fries, chili in the shakes (actually, maybe not, I didn't order one.

Another great chain is Rally's. They used to be in NorCal, but now I think the one in Fresno is the northernmost one in the valley. Best fries of all time.

Speaking of chili, though, the number one fast food place of all time, by far, is the Varsity in Atlanta and Athens, GA. Can't be beat. Chili dogs, french fries, and fried apple pie. Mmmmm.
I've BEEN to the Varsity in Atlanta!!!! When Scott Smith (current director @ some catholic HS in Bakersfield-can't remember the name, used to be director @ Katella, and before that was Don Gunderson's Ass't @ Los Altos) and I drove to Atlanta to watch DCI championships in 84, we ate at The Varsity. DR and Harold Nelms were there too!!! NEVER have I seen so much grease and oil at one place in the my LIFE. They had to have elevated rubber mats all over the floor in the cooking area just to not be ankle deep in OIL. Ahhhh....southern cooking....amazing the variety of fried foods those people eat.... (or "et" as they would say...)

Anyway....