Tuba Christmas is coming soon!

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Tuba Christmas is coming soon!

Post by Bandmaster » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:32 pm

Check our events calendar for the Tuba Christmas event nearest you! The bid one will be at Disneyland on Friday, December 21st. They will be trying to break the world record for tuba players at an event. They are hoping for 800 tuba players, so get there early for a good parking spot.

WoP Events Calendar

Tuba Christmas website
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:35 am

If you want to see what the Los Angeles (Glendale) Tuba Christmas looks and sounds like check out this video from last year. It features the pro players up front performing a very cool jazz arrngement of Winter Wounderland.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLHdhrYbFk4
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:17 pm

800 tuba players! Now that would be a sight to see. If I still lived in the southern part of the state I would gladly be a part of that. :D

usernow

Post by usernow » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:45 pm

Bandmaster wrote:If you want to see what the Los Angeles (Glendale) Tuba Christmas looks and sounds like check out this video from last year. It features the pro players up front performing a very cool jazz arrngement of Winter Wounderland.

for a moment i thought that was a tuba playing the solo!

but it was euphonium... :)

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:32 am

usernow wrote:
Bandmaster wrote:If you want to see what the Los Angeles (Glendale) Tuba Christmas looks and sounds like check out this video from last year. It features the pro players up front performing a very cool jazz arrngement of Winter Wounderland.

Nope, sounds like a tuba to me. There were what looked liked euphoniums in the performance (but I think they might have been just different-key tubas; and really the euphonium and tuba siblings anyway), but I'm almost positive the soloist was on one of the big uprights.

The tuba is a surprisingly agile instrument (moreso than most people think) and can be very "light on its feet" in capable hands.

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:12 am

Hostrauser wrote:
usernow wrote:

Nope, sounds like a tuba to me. There were what looked liked euphoniums in the performance (but I think they might have been just different-key tubas; and really the euphonium and tuba siblings anyway), but I'm almost positive the soloist was on one of the big uprights.

The tuba is a surprisingly agile instrument (moreso than most people think) and can be very "light on its feet" in capable hands.
The soloists at the beginning of the recording is indeed a euphonium. The soloist near the middle is an F tuba. BTW, the euphonium is a "tenor" tuba, so all the solos were really played by tuba players. :wink:

Factoid... What is a soprano tuba? ..... a flugle horn, of course!
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:03 pm

Big turn out yesterday at Disneyland. We had 627 tuba players on hand.

Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sat Dec 22, 2007 1:26 pm

Bandmaster wrote:
Factoid... What is a soprano tuba? ..... a flugle horn, of course!
Next time, I'll bring a flugelhorn and expect them to have music for me. :twisted:

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:45 pm

Bandmaster wrote:Big turn out yesterday at Disneyland. We had 627 tuba players on hand.

I had three kids go to that one yesterday. They had so much fun. I couldn't believe how many people showed up. Thats one of the biggest turn outs I have seen.
You just can't encourage stupidity

Forensic Eagle
New Recruit
New Recruit

Correct Me If I am Wrong...

Post by Forensic Eagle » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:34 pm

Correct me If I am wrong. I was there on Friday. Did we break the record? I think i might have heard something like "Guinness wasn't at the event in Walt Disney World so it doesn't count." Just want to clarify!

-Forensic Eagle

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:09 am

I actually had one of my kids parents there and they said that the representative from Guiness was there.

Forensic Eagle
New Recruit
New Recruit

So We...

Post by Forensic Eagle » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:35 pm

Okay, just to clarify. I was told at another Tuba Christmas that they were trying to break the record of 754 Tubas, previously held by Walt Disney World in Florida. Did we break it at 627 because a Guinness representative wasn't at the Walt Disney World Event?

lilazngrl36
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lilazngrl36 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:38 pm

every single one of the tubas at my school went [6].

i'm so proud of them. :clap:
Last edited by lilazngrl36 on Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:35 am

Well, if you look at this senario at face value then one could draw the conclusion that it would be the record if there wasn't a representative at the Walt Disney World event. However, I am sure there is more to this than meets the eye. I guess the only was to find out is to contact someone from the organization or wait for the record book to come out and see for ourselves.

euphsrock
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by euphsrock » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:20 pm

This event was a lot of fun. 5 euphonium players from my school including me attended. I am very glad I got to be a part of this! :D