World of Pageantry

World of Pageantry

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Recording Concert Band/Jazz Band
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:20 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to this arena, but is anyone willing to share what setup they use to get a quality recording of their groups in a concert hall setting?
I have a new, quality laptop with an M-Audio Firewire 410, and a Mackie mixer. I'm interested to know who uses Protools or Nuendo or Sonar or whatever, and what mics you all have found to be appropriate.
Thanks in advance!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:21 pm 
Veteran
Veteran

If you're new to using audio workstation software (like ProTools or Sonar), I would highly recommend checking out Adobe Audition. It's very intuitive, there's a short learning curve to using it, and it's actually a fairly powerful program. It's not as powerful as Protools, but for the price and what you'll probably need it for, I think its great.

As far as mics go, I have had a lot of success using a pair of the AKG C-414 B-XLS condenser mics. They have an incredible dynamic range but without adding any noise to the mix at the extreme lower ends of the spectrum.

They might be a little pricey, but they're also very durable... here's a link to the combined pair from AKG's website. http://www.akg.com/site/products/powerslave,id,886,pid,886,nodeid,2,_language,EN.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:33 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks man!
What kinds of ensembles have you used these for? Any way I could check out a recording you made with these?