All Western Dreams

Topics and polls that cover the overall marching band activity

Moderators: Trumpet Man 05, malletphreak, Hostrauser, instrumental director

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

All Western Dreams

Post by Cardinal Regime » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:14 pm

Just sitting at home tonight, the day after Thanksgiving, and thinking how awesome it would be if the All Western Band Review was ocurring tomorrow in Long Beach. :crying:

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Kuxica » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:06 am

I was feeling it today as we just had a parade event today. And right before the step off of my group, I was wishing it was All Western.....

I wish somebody could do something to make it happen again.
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

ScrapHappy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Same Here...

Post by ScrapHappy » Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:51 am

I had the exact same thoughts yesterday. Back in the early 80s Thanksgiving weekend always meant an all-night drive from Northern California, Thanksgiving day in Disneyland, the Friday after Thanksgiving in Santa Ana at the California Band Review and Saturday at the All Western. Ah, good times.
ScrapHappy in UT
Formerly from Pleasanton, CA

Bandmaster
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Bandmaster » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:09 am

26 years ago today I was busy organizing the formation area for the band review so it could move indoors at the Long Beach Convention Center. It had been raining all night and into the morning, so they called it a rain day. Only 15 minutes later the clouds parted and the sun came out, but the decision had been made and the police blockades removed... so the band review would be indoors. Half of the huge exhibition hall was at my disposal, so I could line up 20 bands at one time inside a giant concrete hall. All the band directors were furiously practicing/teaching counter-marches to their bands in preparation as we fed 79 bands, one at a time, into the arena where they performed for the judges.... I was so busy all morning that I only got to see the last band perform, Arcadia... playing Stars and Stripes Forever.

Students today wouldn't know about it, but the All-Western was a very big deal for the bands that participated. Many of the bands were staying in the local hotels up and down Ocean Blvd. and this was their one big trip of the year. Bands from as far north as Yreka and as far south as Calexico came to the All-Western every year.

Many bands held formal dinners right after the band review. Guys in tuxcedos and girls in formal gowns were sight-seeing up and down Ocean Blvd. Then all the band members converged on the Long Beach Arena for the start of the awards ceremony.

The arena is a full size basketball/hockey arena that seats over ten thousand, and it would be full when the ceremony started. All the bands would be arranged and seated in blocked around the arena, many with large banners marking their spots. Then the cheers would start, bands challenging others across the arena to respond and the excitement built. All the drum majors would be sitting in full uniform on special bleacher down on the main floor.

Then they started the show... the finalists for the Miss California Baton Twirling Championship would come out and complete one last time in front of the crowd. These girls were amazing. Then came the featured exhibition of the evening... the fablulous Long Beach State "Big Brown Music Machine" entered the floor and performed a full marching show while 10,000 kids screamed. 192 top musicians playing great music and featured twirler Donald Garcia hitting the roof of the arena four times during his performance wowed everyone.

Then the real show started, the awards presentations. Drum Majors only accepted their band's awards. Each trying to give the best and most original salute of the evening. The awards for best Mace Drum Major was always a highlight of the evening. They awarded the top 10 places, and as each drum major came up the accept his/her award (it was mostly boys back then) they got braver while receiving the trophy from the beautiful Miss Long Beach. Until finally one drum major would take her hand at the end of his salute and kiss it. Then all that followed would try to out do the one before until one confident young man grabbed her, bent her over backwards and kissed her on the lips... and the crowd went wild.... Then the awards for each classification started and the tension built and cheers got louder until the Sweepstakes winner was announced.

It made for a very long day, but is something I will remember forever. I feel sad that students today will not get to experience it.
Last edited by Bandmaster on Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Schaafsma
Pageantry Webmaster

RN,oldfluteplayer
New Recruit
New Recruit

All Western

Post by RN,oldfluteplayer » Sat Nov 24, 2007 9:59 am

I marched in that rainy day, indoors All Western, with El Cajon Valley High, We had a female, military style drum major. El Cajon always had a female drum major. We already knew how to do a counter-march. Had to do it every day in practice, since our practice street didn't seem to be available much. Nothing like doing a counter march with a flute with the tenor drummers doing their twirling routine during the march. That is something that I have never seen discussed here...the tenor drummers stick twirling routines. The tenor drummers were all the (mostly female) orchestra members who were REQUIRED to be in marching band. The tenor drums were only used for cadence. Then they had a intricate twirling routine during the competition march. The sticks had long straps on them for twirling.
And, yes, every year we had a dress up dinner before awards. Getting dressed up in a huge empty motel hall. Putting on a fancy dress and nylons. On a body that had been sweating in a uniform for half of the day!
It was great! Great memories.
El Cajon Valley HS band, graduated 1971
Santana HS band booster and head chaperone, 1992-96
Proud mom of a middle school band and orchestra director

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:17 am

I played the snare drum in the Chowchilla High School Redskin Marching band at the '80, '81, and '82 All Western Band Reviews. (In '83 we went to Santa Ana). For some reason, I don't remember much about the '82 event, but the '80 and '81 events stand out for many reasons.

In 1980, Chowchilla, although in class E, had the 7th or 8th highest score in the entire review of about 76 bands. I remember how this was the longest parade route I had ever marched. I remember the Rose Bowl Parade selection comittee located on the left side of the street. I remember torwards the end of the parade route marching down an incline and going under a building or large overpass or something of that nature and the echo from the drums when we were under this structure was "cool". I remember the baton twirlers in the arena and laughing because one of the contestants was a "dude". (How young and immature we were). I remember all of the bands sitting behind banners that they brought with them to the awards ceremony. And I remember the "Big Brown Music Machine" performing as well.

In 1981, the threat of rain moved the event indoors. We were disappointed because the rain never came. I remember being in the bellows of the Long Beach arena and seeing nothing but bands every where. I remember marching inside and countermarching, which was no problem for us since we did it at the end of our practice street every day. I remember being disappointed because we took 3rd place in our class, losing to Dos Palos, who we had beaten in every competition against them so far that year. I remember watching Magnolia play The Conqueror and Arcadia finishing with the Stars and Stipes Forever.

We always left Chowchilla (about 45 minutes north of Fresno) on Thanksgiving afternoon. We always stayed at Zaby's Motor Lodge on the corner of Katella and Harbor. Santa Cruz High School was always staying at Zaby's as well. After breakfast on Friday morning, we always practiced marching in the parking lot of the Anaheim Convention Center. I remember it being "cool" that after we finished playing our march, the sound still echoed between the high rise hotel buildings that surrounded the parking lot for quite a few seconds. After practice, we always went to Disneyland until about 11:30 that night. We always met at the park in front of the castle. We would form up, without instruments, and we'd make our own parade, marching down Main Street USA, humming our competition march all the way to the front gates.

Saturday morning, the day of the All Western, and we'd always put on our band uniforms, except for the hats, and walk to the Hansa House for breakfast. Our director, Larry Hobson, would give us words of encouragement and our seniors would each stand and talk about what being in the Chowchilla Redskin Band meant to each of them. Then we'd load the buses and head to Long Beach.

So very sad that my son, who will be a Freshmen next year in the Golden Valley Cardinal Regime, won't get to experience anything like that.

JCYS
Drum Major
Drum Major

All Western Memories

Post by JCYS » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:52 am

All Western was probably the 1st band review I ever watched in HS. We always ended our season @ Santa Monica, so I never had the pleasure to march there. But I remember my junior year (fall 72) going to watch with our drum major, and bringing an 8mm camera. I still have those 8mm tapes...the entire 72 All Western...silent of course... :lol:

Went to watch in 73 too, we had had a good season and the seniors of our band so desperately tried to convince our director to go, but it was not to be. I remember going with my girlfriend, my best friend, who happened to be our percussion section leader, and a couple other band members. For some odd reason we sat with Castle Park for the awards. I always liked their bands. That was where I first saw the CSULB Big Brown Music Machine and decided to go to Long Beach State, although I was NOT going to be a music major :shock:

From 74 on when I was in college I rarely got to see the review, either we were rehearsing for the awards performance with the BBMM, or I was working my playing gig at the Queen Mary across the harbor...and no, you could not hear the bands across the harbor.

Being with the Magnolia band there in 79, after doing my student teaching I moved up north, but drove down and watched the "indoor" All Western in 81 you guys are talking about (I was pleased that Vore had taken my suggestion at playing "The Conqueror" the next year while I was student teaching with him...and they WON!). I remember helping my old HS director pick out "War March of the Tartars" in 76 which was a great season for them and got they went to the Rose Parade that year. I was always lucky at picking good marches!!!

Didn't see the review in 82, but when I moved down south for my brief stint I took my band to the last All Western. I remember a number of us directors going to Casa Sanchez in Long Beach for dinner together. We didn't place, but it was a great experience.

JCYS

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Re: All Western Memories

Post by vore » Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:48 pm

JCYS wrote: Being with the Magnolia band there in 79, after doing my student teaching I moved up north, but drove down and watched the "indoor" All Western in 81 you guys are talking about (I was pleased that Vore had taken my suggestion at playing "The Conqueror" the next year while I was student teaching with him...and they WON!). JCYS
Thank you for the suggestion!

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

my tribute to All western

Post by Kuxica » Sat Nov 24, 2007 2:33 pm

Today being Sunday here on Guam, and Saturday back in the mainland, I am going to keep myself lounging around to the various different albums of the All Western Band review. At least I can hear the memories play through my house.

You guys that have recordings should do it too. As a small tribute to the bands of the past and the legacy band review.

let's see I'm starting with the rain year and my start point would be the only group that plays shrewsburry fair that year....

Thanks Cardinal for starting this thread....

Kuxica
" Don't compete to beat the other bands and get the trophies, instead compete to do better then before and then the trophies will come in." - Unknown

" I have one word for you, ' Loara'." - Rick Lorenzen 1996 at the Chino Band Review.

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Re: my tribute to All western

Post by dr » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:16 pm

Kuxica wrote:
let's see I'm starting with the rain year and my start point would be the only group that plays shrewsburry fair that year....

Kuxica
I don't show Shrewsbury Fair played until 1982. Was it 1981 in Guam? :lol:

dr
Drum Major
Drum Major

Mayor's Trophy Winners

Post by dr » Sat Nov 24, 2007 3:27 pm

For those who might be interested, the following is a compilation of the winning bands and marches (where known) played at the Long Beach All-Western Band Review, including a summary from 1956 until 1983.

Mayor's Trophy Winners
??
Grand – USC
Mayors Trophy – North Park Boys Band (San Diego)
Grand – Salvation Army Band (L.A.)
Mayors Trophy – L.A. Chinese Girls Drum and Bugle Corps
Grand – USC
Mayors Trophy – Bonham Brothers Boys' Band (San Diego)
1942-1945
Not held due to World War II
Grand – San Diego Marines
Mayors Trophy – Grossmont HS (La Mesa) - Harold George Lutz
Mayors Trophy – Army and Navy (Carlsbad)
Mayors Trophy – Grossmont HS (La Mesa) - Harold George Lutz
Grand – El Toro Marine Band
Mayors Trophy – Corona HS
Junior College – Fullerton JC
High School (750+ Enrollment) – Bakersfield HS
High School (-750 Enrollment) – Downey HS
Junior High School – Compton JHS
Grand – Fresno State College
Mayors Trophy – Bakersfield HS
High School (750+ Enrollment) – Grossmont HS - Harold George Lutz
High School (-750 Enrollment) – Corona HS
Grand – Pendelton Marine Band
Mayors Trophy – Bonham Brothers Boys' Band (San Diego)
Junior College – Fullerton JC
High School (750+ Enrollment) – Merced HS
High School (-750 Enrollment) – Sanger HS
Mayors Trophy – Helix HS(La Mesa)
Junior College – Compton JC and Mt. San Antonio College (Walnut)
High School (1250+ Enrollment) – Grossmont HS (La Mesa) Harold George Lutz
High School (750-1250 Enrollment) – Delano HS
High School (-750 Enrollment) – Barstow
Mayors Trophy – 99.57 Grossmont HS (La Mesa) - Harold George Lutz
Junior College – John Muir JC/Pasadena City College
High School (1001+ Enrollment) – Helix HS (La Mesa)
High School (601-1001 Enrollment) – Barstow HS
High School (-600 Enrollment) – Dinuba HS
Mayors Trophy – 97.20 Grossmont HS (La Mesa) – Harold George Lutz
/Benton Minor
Mayors Trophy – 95.10 Grossmont HS (La Mesa) – Harold George Lutz
/Benton Minor
Mayors Trophy – 97.18 Grossmont HS (La Mesa) – Benton Minor – Old Comrades
Mayors Trophy – 94.732 El Cajon Valley HS – Benton Minor - The Klaxon
Mayors Trophy – 97.65 El Cajon Valley HS - Benton Minor - Gloria
Mayors Trophy – 95.75 El Cajon Valley HS – Benton Minor - Washington Grays
Highest Score – 95.55 Mt. Miguel HS (Spring Valley) – Gloria
(note: Mayors Trophy wasn’t awarded due to rain interference)
Honor Band – El Cajon Valley HS - Benton Minor
Mayors Trophy – 96.00 Grossmont HS – King Karl King
Mayors Trophy – 96.35 El Cajon Valley HS – Benton Minor - Joyce’s 71st N.Y. Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 94.95 Pasadena HS – Benton Minor - Colossus of Columbia
Mayors Trophy – 95.45 Azusa HS – Ross Davis - Americans We
Mayors Trophy – 95.90 (tie) Arcadia HS - Ron Hoar – French National Defilé/El Capitan HS(Lakeside) – Benton Minor - Joyce’s 71st N.Y. Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 95.05 Arcadia HS - Ron Hoar – The Stars and Stripes Forever
Mayors Trophy – 96.30 Arcadia HS – Ron Hoar – The Rifle Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 95.45 Loara HS (Anaheim) – Rick Marino – Purple Carnival
Mayors Trophy – 95.50 (tie) Arcadia HS – Ron Hoar – The Mad Major/Loara HS (Anaheim) – Rick Marino – Washington Grays
Mayors Trophy – 95.30 (tie) Glendora HS – Gordon Norman – The Standard of St. George/Loara HS (Anaheim) – Rick Marino – Joyce’s 71st N.Y. Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 95.10 Arcadia HS (Ron Hoar) – The Stars and Stripes Forever
Honor Band – Loara HS (Anaheim) – Rick Marino – The Rifle Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 95.90 Arcadia HS (Ron Hoar) – Joyce’s 71st N.Y. Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 94.85 Orange Glen HS (Escondido) – Dan Harrison – National Emblem
Mayors Trophy – 98.05 Arcadia HS – David Aldstadt - The Stars and Stripes Forever
Mayors Trophy – 95.85 Loara HS (Anaheim) – Rick Marino – Chimes of Liberty
Honor Band – Arcadia HS – John Work – The Conqueror
Mayors Trophy – 96.00 Loara HS (Anaheim) – Rick Marino – Glorious Victory
Mayors Trophy - 96.35 Antelope Valley (Lancaster) – Joe Acciani – Glorious Victory
Mayors Trophy - 96.95 Arcadia HS – Dan Allison - The Voice of the Guns
Mayors Trophy - 96.10 Arcadia HS – Tom Landes - The Conqueror
Mayors Trophy – 94.75 Arcadia HS – Tom Landes - The Rifle Regiment
Mayors Trophy – 96.30 Magnolia HS (Anaheim) – John Hausey – The Conqueror
Honor Band – [96.30] Arcadia HS – Tom Landes – The Stars and Stripes Forever
Sweepstakes (Classes C-D-E) – 92.55 Valencia HS (Placentia) – Glorious Victory
Sweepstakes (Classes B-A-AA) – 95.80 Magnolia HS (Anaheim) – John Hausey – The Stars and Stripes Forever
Sweepstakes (Classes C-D-E) – 94.05 Temple City HS – Gary Yearick – Law and Order
Sweepstakes (Classes B-A-AA) – 96.90 Arcadia HS – Tom Landes – Solid Men to the Front

Arcadia HS – 11
Grossmont HS (La Mesa) – 7
Loara HS (Anaheim) – 5
El Cajon Valley HS – 4
Magnolia HS (Anaheim) – 2
Antelope Valley HS (Lancaster) – 1
Azusa HS – 1
Bakersfield HS – 1
Corona HS – 1
El Capitan HS (Lakeside) – 1
Glendora HS – 1
Helix HS (La Mesa) – 1
Mt. Miguel HS (Spring Valley) – 1
Orange Glen HS (Escondido) – 1
Pasadena HS – 1
Temple City HS – 1
Valencia HS (Placentia) – 1

Winning Marches
Joyce’s 71st N.Y. Regiment – 4
The Stars and Stripes Forever – 4
The Conqueror – 2
Gloria – 2
Glorious Victory – 2
The Rifle Regiment – 2
Washington Grays – 2
Americans We – 1
Chimes of Liberty – 1
Colossus of Columbia – 1
French National Defilé – 1
King Karl King – 1
The Klaxon – 1
Law and Order – 1
The Mad Major – 1
National Emblem – 1
Old Comrades – 1
Purple Carnival – 1
Solid Men to the Front - 1
The Standard of St. George – 1
The Voice of the Guns – 1

Note how few Sousa marches are on the list.
Last edited by dr on Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Cardinal Regime
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Cardinal Regime » Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:43 pm

Kuxica.................throw on the 1980 All Western and listen to Chowchilla playing Chicago Tribune for me.

Kuxica
Veteran
Veteran

Re: my tribute to All western

Post by Kuxica » Sat Nov 24, 2007 6:52 pm

dr wrote:
Kuxica wrote:

Kuxica
I don't show Shrewsbury Fair played until 1982. Was it 1981 in Guam? :lol:

HAHAHA....I am a day advance here perhaps a year advanced too :LOL:

at any rate this was a recording courtesy of Mike Luzak it did not come with a date. But all i can tell you is it is the full recording so I am assuming it was the indoor year.

Kuxica

BariBigBird06
New Recruit
New Recruit

Arcadia Videos

Post by BariBigBird06 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:15 am

I wasn't too sure whether or not I should chime in here and link the Arcadia All-Western Performances again, but once I saw DR's post, I couldn't fight my desire any longer to share with you these these wonderful treasures of history. So here is it, for your viewing and listening enjoyment:

Arcadia High School
Apache Marching Band and Color Guard
Arcadia, CA
Director: Tom Landes

All Western Band Review
November 27, 1982 - Shrewsbury Fair (Neville)
November 28, 1983 - Solid Men to the Front (Sousa)
BiG BiRd
c/o 2006

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:16 am

I choked on a hot dog in 1972 in the seats in the arena at the All Western Band Review. Just wanted to throw that out there. (True story)