kids

Any topic is game... you can discuss it here! Just keep it clean, OK?

Moderators: malletphreak, Hostrauser

IsnipeWithAknife
Drum Major
Drum Major

kids

Post by IsnipeWithAknife » Wed Sep 24, 2003 11:43 pm

would you make your future kids take band? some of you prolly will end up with another person that is totally involved in band and their juniors will probably play instruments/spin stuff too. oh and are u in band in the first place because ur parents did band before and they made u do it and now u like it?

in my opinion i think band is a good experience. train your kids to play rare instruments so u dont have to save up for college

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:40 am

I'd encourage it but not force them. I sure wish I wasn't forced into certain things as I was growing up. My mom to this day complains that I didn't follow through with piano lessons but I didn't like the piano.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:29 pm

Same here.
If you force them into doing band, they'll not only dislike it, they'll probably not like you much for a little while.
Like UCI Mike said, encourage it...thats what ahppened with me and looked what happened...well...
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Thu Sep 25, 2003 8:37 pm

I wouldn't force them, because I know how that is and it sucks. But I would encourage it, and if you get ids into things when they're little and naive ;) then they will like them later on in life.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Sep 25, 2003 9:05 pm

Its by doing things like that that you can effect a childs life.
<wow, parent advice...nah>
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

DJ-PsiLon
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by DJ-PsiLon » Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:56 am

At first I thought this thread was about the controversial movie called Kids. I recommend it only as a scared straight tool and not to glorify drugs, sex and drinking.
Formerly known as [UCI]-Mike

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:28 pm

I wouldn't force anyone to do band, but I would encourage them to try it since it is truly a wonderful experience.

Cole167888
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Cole167888 » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:59 pm

I would suggest it, but I would never force it. My parents didn't force me to do anything, so it makes it a lot easier. I know a lot of parents in our town who want their kids to be perfect, and it ends up hindering the kid. I feel bad for them, I was always raised to be free spirited.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes."

gangemi
Veteran
Veteran

Post by gangemi » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:07 pm

I gotta tell you...

I logged onto this thinking it was one of my Westlake students trying to bug the crap out of me by writing out the lyrics to the song "Kids" from Bye, Bye Birdie. Because they know how much I hate that musical! But then I realized LovableSheep didn't make the post so I wasn't too worried.

Don't be getting any ideas, though!

flagchild06
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by flagchild06 » Tue Oct 07, 2003 10:32 pm

I'm hoping my kids will dance and do guard and if I have a boy he'll be straight and do everything. Nothing against gay guys, but then my son would pimp it :wink:
Uh-oh for life!
EAT THE FREAKIN COOKIE!!!
I can't get my fat ass off the ground.
Because God said I could be a super ninja.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Wed Oct 08, 2003 12:23 am

If I got to choose for a child, I'd choose for a daughter.
In all my family (like my generation) there are only 3 girls...and 9 guys. Even In my parents generation there were 2 girls and 4 guys.

But you know what, either/or.

Lizzy05
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Lizzy05 » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:13 pm

I f I had a kid, sure it'd be nice for them to share the same experiences as I, I'd tell them about them, show them pics and what not. And if they're interested, then by all means join, but I'm not going to force them and be like, "listen ya little brat. learn trumpet, now. Pronto" cuz that's just cruel. But yeah, I'd like for them to be, but it's their decision.
OHS '01 - '05

sabrebatgirl
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by sabrebatgirl » Wed Oct 08, 2003 5:56 pm

O'sideband_lizzy wrote:"listen ya little brat. learn trumpet, now. Pronto"
Lol!
I'd like to have a girl who did dance/guard/anything performance-wise, really. I have a big passion for performing and I would hope that my daughter if I have on ehas the same, but you can't force someone to love something, so I won't force her to perform. (this is if I even have a kid in the first place :P)

LovableSheep
Veteran
Veteran

Post by LovableSheep » Wed Oct 08, 2003 6:51 pm

gangemi wrote:I gotta tell you...

I logged onto this thinking it was one of my Westlake students trying to bug the crap out of me by writing out the lyrics to the song "Kids" from Bye, Bye Birdie. Because they know how much I hate that musical! But then I realized LovableSheep didn't make the post so I wasn't too worried.

Don't be getting any ideas, though!
It's kind of interesting that right before I looked at this thread today I was thinking posting the lyrics. Then I read it and find out you thought of that too.