someone gets mad at you for doing what they arnt?what to do?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

flute02
New Recruit
New Recruit

someone gets mad at you for doing what they arnt?what to do?

Post by flute02 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:16 pm

well i guess a couple people think that i am taking over the section and i dont see where they get that from. so i am kinda like the assistant section leader but i am first chair. and today at sectionals the section leader was in the back room testing everyone on the first song so i was running everyone else through other stuff and i geuss our asst. DM thought i was taking over and this person told another section leader and then they pulled my section leader aside and then yeah.well she is very easily convinced of anything you tell her she will pretty much believe and i guess it worked cause when she came out she said rather rudely "can i at least do something?" and i dont know who to talk to cause i was only trying to help. should i talk to the person who started it or my section leader or what?

someone say there opinion and help me pretty please!!!!

thank you!!!
overahievers: the tallest blade of grass is the first to get cut by the lawnmower...

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:22 am

uhhh, it all just seems to be a bad case of miscommunication so I'm sure if you talk to your section leader openly about it, then it would clear up. Don't be afraid. Part of being a leader is dealing with how cranky people sometimes get when placed in an odd situation, and especially if it's a misperceived one. Communication is the key.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:50 pm

well i guess what you would want to do is follow the advice above because when people assume well you know what that does hahahaha but really its more important for you as a leader to be able to step up to the plate and be a person who gets things done when the appointed leader is busy which only goes to show you that some people just so not get it you know what i mean because if they did it would be so much easier omg because i remember when i was young and well that was a really really long time ago LOL hahaha oh my where...

(Holy crap, that was the most difficult paragraph I've ever written in my ENTIRE life. But the message is in there, yes?)

guillotinechika
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by guillotinechika » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:26 pm

others have said it already, and I fully agree that talking it out will fix it. But for next time, remember to delegate who does what and even out duties so the section leader doesn't feel like their job or authority is being threatened.

btw, good job for stepping up, it can be hard to do that when you're not the section leader. (:

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:11 pm

guillotinechika wrote:btw, good job for stepping up, it can be hard to do that when you're not the section leader. (:
I want to highlight this, because its so very true. You did a great thing in taking initiative. There are many leaders out there who only try to coast by in things (I'm not saying your situation is one of them). Its always very difficult in taking the step to do something by your own.

If you have good intentions, then who can blame you for trying to help? In the end, if you stick to working for the greater good of the group then no one can really question that.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007