cord issues

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

bassclarinet/bassoonist
New Recruit
New Recruit

cord issues

Post by bassclarinet/bassoonist » Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:41 pm

Ok so I just had my 1st parade as head drum major and so I was warming up and I run my hand down my baton, and the tassel falls rite off!!! so I'm flipping out trying all kinds of things in order to fix it nothing worked so I just took the other one off and tied a knot an taped the ends. This happened to some of the people who tried out for drum major at my school when they got new cords, sense Peacock has moved to Arizona. has anyone else had these problems? and is there an alternate source for some high quality cords?? don't get me wrong PEACOCK IS AMAZING but its just the cords have been falling apart lately unlike the really old ones i have wich you could tug on for days!

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:57 pm

I REALLY stand against spinning with those ridiculously thick cords. Not only do they slow down your spinning a lot, but they're so thick that no matter how hard you tie 'em, it won't be tight enough to keep them on through a long period of flourishing. Either find really thin cording, use pinstriping stickers in place of them (I hear they look equally good from far away anyway), or spin without anything on the mace.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Sun Jul 08, 2007 9:02 pm

well, i think spinnin w/ tassels is good and bad. if you spin with it and you have bad BOT, then it would show. they're cool to have but dont risk it. I dont think there are good quality cords, they wear out after a while. theyre 12 bucks... so i say you buy one for practicing and one for competition. and change your practice cords once every 2-3 months.
Eyes with pride!

"Ability may get you to the top but it takes character to keep you there."
-John Wooden

Pi=3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105...

bassclarinet/bassoonist
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by bassclarinet/bassoonist » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:52 pm

ha ha here is the thing I got the cords the day before the parade and the tassel slid rite off and the cords are already wearing (parade was 4 days ago)!!! I took my practice baton and tugged on those old style cords and I could have swung it by the tassel NO JOKE!

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:28 am

Oh wait, I forgot we're talking about batons here and not maces. My bad. :oops:
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:57 am

so i guess have a spare just in case that happens so if that does happen, then tie it before the competition starts.
Eyes with pride!

-John Wooden

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:45 pm

The problem that students have with the tassels on the ends of the military baton cord is quite simple: Don't pull on them! The tassels are for ornamentation and are not for any other function.

When you wrap and/or tighten the cord on the military baton, do not pull on the tassels! The problems will cease to exist. I have wrapped and tied dozens of the "Peacock" cords over the years and have never had a problem with any of them.

Be careful of the tassels and treat them as if they were a part of a musical instrument...

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Ryan H. Turner
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by Ryan H. Turner » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:42 pm

vore wrote:The problem that students have with the tassels on the ends of the military baton cord is quite simple: Don't pull on them! The tassels are for ornamentation and are not for any other function.

When you wrap and/or tighten the cord on the military baton, do not pull on the tassels! The problems will cease to exist. I have wrapped and tied dozens of the "Peacock" cords over the years and have never had a problem with any of them.

Be careful of the tassels and treat them as if they were a part of a musical instrument...

vore 8-)
Yeah...but...uh...what happens when you do a steeple toss with an American mace, and it bounces up off the ground and hits you in the lower jaw with such force that the chain disengages from the hook on the bottom near the tip? HANH?? What do you do THEN?!?!?!

That's right.

You go to the damn doctor because you think you broke your jaw (raising my hand--true story--thankyouverymuch)

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:01 pm

Haha, and that, boys and girls, is why you don't do steeple tosses with a mace. =] Just not my cup o' tea. I just go against spinning with any sort of wrapping on the mace anyway; no chains or cords for me. A lot easier on the hands that way.

vore
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by vore » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:04 pm

Ryan H. Turner wrote:Yeah...but...uh...what happens when you do a steeple toss with an American mace, and it bounces up off the ground and hits you in the lower jaw with such force that the chain disengages from the hook on the bottom near the tip? HANH?? What do you do THEN?!?!?!
Ahhhhhh...... quit using a mace (a real job) and conduct a drum corps using just your hands (no work involved)?

Inside joke with Ryan......:lol:

vore 8-)
"Educators are teachers who have taken an easy subject and made it difficult."

Chaporch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Chaporch » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:18 pm

vore wrote:The problem that students have with the tassels on the ends of the military baton cord is quite simple: Don't pull on them! The tassels are for ornamentation and are not for any other function.

vore 8-)
agreed . . . I was always told . . . NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER touch the tassels!

I have never had a problem.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:22 pm

vore wrote:
Ryan H. Turner wrote:Yeah...but...uh...what happens when you do a steeple toss with an American mace, and it bounces up off the ground and hits you in the lower jaw with such force that the chain disengages from the hook on the bottom near the tip? HANH?? What do you do THEN?!?!?!
Ahhhhhh...... quit using a mace (a real job) and conduct a drum corps using just your hands (no work involved)?

Inside joke with Ryan......:lol:

vore 8-)
Oooo, burrnnnnnnn, haha. Nice one, vore. ;p

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zarathrustra » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:22 pm

I agree with Andrew. I prefer to spin with no chains or chords on the mace. It's just so much simpler. I remember the drum major at Santa Cruz during the 2005-2006 school year had the design painted on to look like there were chords. It looked really nice. Plus it was much easier on his hands. I remember the first time I spun a mace with chains. I cut my hand open. So I tried it with chords. It was far too slow. So yeah. I agree with Andrew.

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Or... you could just spin with gloves and not cut up your hands... :P

AzhlackDMPiccolo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AzhlackDMPiccolo » Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:08 pm

or... deal w/ the pain and get calluses :-D
Eyes with pride!

-John Wooden