Folk Dances by Shostakovich

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Folk Dances by Shostakovich

Post by ZJH » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:41 pm

Does anyone know where I can find an orchestral recording of this piece, or if one even exists? All I ever find is the North Texas Wind Symphony's recording of it from Luminaries, which I already have.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

Hostrauser
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Hostrauser » Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:48 pm

I don't believe an orchestra version exists. If I recall correctly, Shostakovich wrote "Folk Dances" directly for Russian bands, and it has just been arranged for "western" bands by H. Robert Reynolds and others. I don't think it's like "Festive Overture," where an orchestra piece was arranged for wind ensemble.

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:28 pm

Ahhh, yeah. I just remember seeing there was a version transcribed by H. Robert Reynolds, so I assumed it was from orchestra to wind band. Thanks Hostrauser.
"To think idly is to think for the sake of doing nothing, or to think too much on what one has done and not on what there is to do." - San Manuel Bueno, mártir

bassoonuba
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by bassoonuba » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:32 pm

I don't think that I have ever heard an orchestral version of Folk Dances either. I have heard a solo piano version version (which I didn't really care for) but that's it other than the band one.

Perhaps I should know this but, what are the main differences between a Russian band and a western band?

ZJH
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by ZJH » Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:06 pm

I think the main difference is the presence of instruments that aren't just limited to Bb, C, F, and Eb, I believe.