Jazz Band Uniform?

Topics centered more on music performance

Moderator: Hostrauser

Chapagne
Veteran
Veteran

Jazz Band Uniform?

Post by Chapagne » Sat May 26, 2007 2:04 pm

I'm perplexed by the large number of guys I see in high school jazz bands wearing black shirts, black pants and white ties. Why it is everywhere? It is a horrible look, especially for the stage, where the lights make the tie stand out like a flourescent tube.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sat May 26, 2007 3:23 pm

*points to jazz band forums*
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

POrtiz_USCGuard

Post by POrtiz_USCGuard » Sun May 27, 2007 1:12 am

[quote="formermarcher"]*points to jazz band forums*[/quote]

Hey! formermarcher

I know this is kind of off-topic. But what do you plan on doing after graduation.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Sun May 27, 2007 1:18 am

POrtiz_USCGuard wrote:
formermarcher wrote:*points to jazz band forums*

Hey! formermarcher

I know this is kind of off-topic. But what do you plan on doing after graduation.
I'll send you a PM about that...best keep the topic as clear as possible.
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Jakob der ludner
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Jakob der ludner » Mon May 28, 2007 11:04 pm

Money? Or directors just not wanting to go out and get a uniform? there are a variety of reasons, but I doubt any of them are that a director thinks that they look better.
BHS Marching Band:
Head DM. Head Clarinet SL.
TofR Honor Band Clarinet: 05-06
VK Sops 07
Cal Band Mellos 07

thom
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thom » Tue May 29, 2007 8:32 am

For one reason, the judges look to see how the band looks.

Torrance High uses black slacks, maroon shirts, and grey ties. School colors. It doesn't have to be just black and white.
Thom Willett

Brass Caption Head - SoCal Dream Drum and Bugle Corps

LoyalTubist
Section Leader
Section Leader

Post by LoyalTubist » Tue May 29, 2007 10:07 am

I was in the jazz ensemble in my school in the 1970s. We wore shirts with matching patterns, in our choice of three colors, with black trousers and our choice of footwear. The nice thing about everyone wearing the same outfit is that when we were on tour, it was easy to find each other.

lowbone67
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lowbone67 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:32 am

My band wears a "uniform". All black. "Wow, why all black?" After a couple years of jackets and ties (with no negative comments), I was told that my band needed to have a uniform and I didn't want to waste rehearsal time worrying about it. One quick decision and a two second explanation to my kids and we were playing. It's a million times easier than "go here, get this brand of shirt. This brand of tie in this color at this store." Guys in jackets and ties and ladies in comparable attire. They don't look like a rag tag group and nothing is taken away from the music by their appearance.

I understand judges and parents like the way bands look in "uniform". I just think that some people are taking it a little far. I think if you are going to show up in uniforms, you have to back that up. A band in tuxes or pinstripe suits that doesn't throw down on stage is pathetic. I know, there is a dress code for every big band in some way, shape or form. I just don't think uniform mom's need to be involved in dressing your jazz band. Tell the kids to wear something nice (church clothes if that's ok to say) and then get back to playing. Obviously jeans and t-shirts are tough to pull off without looking like bums but there is a very large acceptable area between the two ends of the spectrum.

Everyday, Jazz on the High School level gets pushed closer and closer to the field but that is a whole different can of worms.

Jsaxm
Support Staff
Support Staff

Post by Jsaxm » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:14 pm

Black shirts and pants with a funky tie is what we do at Brea. It gives the kids a chance to express themselves with some kind of crazy tie and it keeps the rest nice and simple. No one has ever complained and the kids look nice.

It doesn't really matter what you look like, if the band can't swing then they can't swing. It's not like marching band where smoke and mirrors can cover a bad musician. There must also be a reason why on the SCSBOA jazz adjudication forms appearance and stage presence are only worth 5 whole points.

Just play the music......
You just can't encourage stupidity

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Post by JazzGeek » Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Jsaxm wrote:Black shirts and pants with a funky tie is what we do at Brea. It gives the kids a chance to express themselves with some kind of crazy tie and it keeps the rest nice and simple. No one has ever complained and the kids look nice.

It doesn't really matter what you look like, if the band can't swing then they can't swing. It's not like marching band where smoke and mirrors can cover a bad musician. There must also be a reason why on the SCSBOA jazz adjudication forms appearance and stage presence are only worth 5 whole points.

Just play the music......
'zackly! Back in the 70's when I was in high school, our stage band wore either jeans/band t-shirt or black pants/solid color dress shirt ---- basically, depending on the venue or occasion. Chaffey Jazz Festival was a jeans/t-shirt day and judges could care less about what we were wearing. We won 3 soloist awards...... 8-)

metalcorps
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by metalcorps » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:57 am

with us, it's just our school colors: blue shirt, gold tie, black pants no big deal
you are not what you think you are. I am what you want to be.

vic diaz
lead trumpet cerritos college orchestra
lead trumpet CSULA wind ensemble
warren high school class of '08

lilazngrl36
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by lilazngrl36 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:49 pm

last year for jazz band, our BD made our jazz band wear these ugly green polo shirts [school color] and black pants. it was horrible.

this year and all the years before it's a suit for the guys [dress shirt, tie and jacket if they want] those can be any color.
and the girls wear dresses
and they all wear some sort of fancy shoes.

thaiguy20fromla
Rookie
Rookie

Post by thaiguy20fromla » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:28 am

for us, it's black button-up shirt, black slacks, tie and suspenders optional on most occasions. if we have consecutive days of performances, for the least important performances, we wear white shirts and black slacks.
Director of Instrumental Music, South El Monte High School
Mountain View High School Viking Regiment Alum (2005-2009)

senza cervello
Veteran
Veteran

Post by senza cervello » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:14 am

We use parts of our old marching band uniform (Rowland HS). The old uniform meaning the ones with the black trench coats and blue flame vests inside. For Jazz band, we wore either a black or white dress shirt inside and wore the blue vest on the outside. Tie was up to you.

We don't actually compete, so it doesn't matter as much.

TonedeafGL

Re: Jazz Band Uniform?

Post by TonedeafGL » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:04 pm

Wow, now I know for sure my jazz band uniform is weird. It's not really a uniform, either. My director just told us to wear black slacks, sock, and dress shoes with bright dress shirts. The dress could shirts could be any color as long as it were bright. No black, white, gray, or any dull color. I guess we were aiming for the colors of the rainbow to symbolize the cultural diversity of our community. We purposely tried to get everyone a different color and get all varieties of colors. I've felt uncomfortable before at competitions because every other band was in concert black, while we stood out like a rainbow, but now I don't mind it at all and feels pretty nice to stand out.