What Makes a Great Section Leader?

A place for student leaders, drum majors, section leaders, student council members, etc.

Moderators: dmcoach, nopsbs

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

What Makes a Great Section Leader?

Post by KingMattIV » Sun May 06, 2007 5:42 pm

So basically, what makes a great section leader?

Attributes, Playing Ablility, etc...

JazzGeek
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What Makes a Great Section Leader?

Post by JazzGeek » Mon May 07, 2007 1:08 am

KingMattIV wrote:So basically, what makes a great section leader?

Attributes, Playing Ablility, etc...
0. Playing ability and proficiency for a section leader is a given---you better be good to be a section leader.
1. The ability to listen and comprehend your band director and translate it for your section.
2. Lead, but not bully. Wise man once said: "Ego is a dangerous thing."
3. Be able to honestly assess your section and work to improve it.
4. Do the extra mile without being told.
5. Be able to "hang"---both with your section and your section leader peers.

musicallife
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by musicallife » Thu May 10, 2007 3:05 pm

Getting to know your section to make a connection.
Showing leadership and being a good role model.
Know some musical aspects that your section need to improve.
Be helpful, honest, hard-working, and fun.
:tup:
>>>Jessica
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
>French Horns are amazing!
>>Section leader, Uniform manager

madtown_malletenor07
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by madtown_malletenor07 » Mon May 14, 2007 9:25 pm

0. Playing ability and proficiency for a section leader is a given---you better be good to be a section leader.
1. The ability to listen and comprehend your band director and translate it for your section.
2. Lead, but not bully. Wise man once said: "Ego is a dangerous thing."
3. Be able to honestly assess your section and work to improve it.
4. Do the extra mile without being told.
5. Be able to "hang"---both with your section and your section leader peers.
That's it in a nutshell. I especially agree with number four. If you want your section to work hard, you have to lead by example.

tubatitan88
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by tubatitan88 » Mon May 14, 2007 10:28 pm

I think this about sums it up.....

* know yourself and seek self-improvement.
* be technically and tactically proficient.
* develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.
* make sound and timely decisions.
* set the example.
* know your people and look out for their welfare.
* keep your people informed.
* seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.
* ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.
* train your people as a team.
* employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.

* dependability
the certainty of proper performance of duty.

* bearing
creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personal conduct at all times.

* courage
the mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a person to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.

* decisiveness
ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.

* endurance
the mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.

* enthusiasm
the display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.

* initiative
taking action in the absence of orders.

* integrity
uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.

* judgment
the ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

* justice
giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. the ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.

* knowledge
understanding of a science or an art. the range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your people.

* tact
the ability to deal with others without creating offense.

* unselfishness
avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.

* loyalty
the quality of faithfulness to one's subordinates and peers.
And on the Eigth day, God decided that people weren't a good enough image of himself. He then made a tuba.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Mon May 14, 2007 11:38 pm

Got some really great posts here...lets keep them coming!
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

Zarathrustra
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zarathrustra » Fri May 18, 2007 7:43 pm

To make a great section leader, you must not only have the ability to play your instrument exceptionally well, but you also must ba able to lead. You need to know your section. I have infact seen a section leader playing 3rd trombone parts simply because he was better with the low notes. He also new that there were other people in his section that were better than him at high notes. You need to not only know your own strengths but the ones of the members of your section too. You need to also know how to teach a player how to do things. Like if a part calls for double tounging, you need to show the members of your section how it's done. That is my input on the subject.

formermarcher
Grand PooBah
Grand PooBah

Post by formermarcher » Fri May 18, 2007 11:45 pm

That Guy wrote:To make a great section leader, you must not only have the ability to play your instrument exceptionally well, but you also must ba able to lead. You need to know your section. I have infact seen a section leader playing 3rd trombone parts simply because he was better with the low notes. He also new that there were other people in his section that were better than him at high notes. You need to not only know your own strengths but the ones of the members of your section too. You need to also know how to teach a player how to do things. Like if a part calls for double tounging, you need to show the members of your section how it's done. That is my input on the subject.
Although its certainly important to be skilled on your instrument for the reasons you mentioned, its not always imperitive that you be the best player out there (food for thought: what defines the "best"). If you can lead sectionals and know how to play your instrument, then you're on the right track, especially if you can work the strengths of the section. Remember...playing an instrument is not the only thing involved in being a section leader...

Certainly there has to be some skill and experience...there's no question there!

Great points all around :D
"It is your destiny to be the leader who uses this event to rally a city, a nation...a world"

"Its not what you do or what you say, but HOW you do it that matters the most"

UC: Riverside, Class Of 2007

KingMattIV
Rookie
Rookie

Post by KingMattIV » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:19 pm

I agree with pretty much everything everyone has said. Every great section leader that I can remember was everything that you guys have named. But, the one thing that I think is worth emphasizing is that being a leader does not necessarily mean that you are the best at playing or moving around on your chosen instrument. A leader must be able to show others how to improve on their own by their own skill. The true test of a leader is shown when he/she is gone and the section is still improving based on their own devices.

Urgasandonald

Post by Urgasandonald » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:11 pm

to me being a section leader is new. i had to step up for the low brass section after the previous section leaders graduated. for me the section leader is hardworking, dedicated to the music and their section, and also strives to become better and pushes others to do the same. at least thats how i got my position.

RBVT--BONE
New Recruit
New Recruit
Location: Vista-RBVs band room (probly on the piano), or work, or schrewel

Post by RBVT--BONE » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:55 pm

Here is my story:

When I was a freshman, I was the weakest thing that ever walked on two feet that didnt have a muscular/bone degenerative disease. Band camp was more like Hell camp for me, because I had such a difficult time (aching muscles, etc.) and lets not forget 5 push-ups every time you make a mistake! (which I upheald, even though I could hardly do a real push-up) I was frustrated and confused at how fellow freshman with Euphoniums could hold their horns and march longer than I could, and I had the lighter instrument. I cried almost every day in or after band camp and would come home saying "I HATE IT! I DONT WANT TO DO IT! I SUCK! I CAN'T".
But then came James Whitton: my section leader. He said I could do it. He looked me in the eye with compassion and it was almost as if he was remembering something. Just...the way he said it... and the look in his eyes lit the fire. I looked at him through my tears, and my resolve hardened. I found something inside to just push on, and he kept up with it. He just kept pushing, and pushing and pushing. And I did it. I was in horrible pain, but I did it. When Band camp was over and marching season began, I was into it full blast and still am today.
I started to mull over what it would take to become a section leader. I thought back to Jimmy, and how he pushed me so I could push myself. I also noted my assistent section leaders' PASSION for band, and her inspirational speeches, that got me really fired up. Those were the two things that stood out to me the most. I tried out for assistent section leader, because I didnt think I was tough enough to be head leader, and Jasmon, (the assistent) was the favorite of the directors, so she was pretty much inevitable to be section leader.
Jasmon was the shining star of the band and she ended up becoming drum major. From what I can gather, she wasnt all that good at first, but dove straight into band. That was all she did. Practice all the time and constantly, and she became proficent in playing and marching. I thought to myself, "Hey, what do I have that Jasmon doesn't? I'm just as passionate, I have experience in what the marching season is like, and I am talented like she is. (I couldnt see anyone else in my section taking the leadership position, and) as far as I was concerned, I was pretty good compared to her. Granted, I dont practice as often as I should, but I have lots of other things going on that are just part and parcel of my life. Besides, with concert season, I can catch up to her. I care about how my section does, and try to help them by correcting them on things I see them doing wrong"

The Mikey Factor("hmmm mabe replacing factor with "Monkey Wrench would be more accurate"):

The very first night at freshman Band orientation, I met this kid named Mikey. He was (and still is) very hyperactive, interrupted alot, and... from my perspective, was basically a walking cartoon :roll: . He would soon prove to be my biggest test of will, which I failed at numerous times. Well, actually, he tested my will from the start, and I could tell that things would not go well with him. I tried to get him to stop behaving badly but to no avail. I felt I had to try to stop him because I thought he was bringing the rest of us (me and the other freshman in our section) down when it came to the upper classmens' opinion of this freshman class. He would go after me in particular, and this brought me down, even though I technically wasnt really doing anything wrong. I was, however, (from the BD's viewpoint just as bad as him) insulting him under my breath that only he would hear, and would get all crazy-mad at me, and therefore, he would get in trouble.

Dont make the same mistakes I did:

Practice as much as you can, no matter how good you think you are.
Don't insult sensitive people under your breath.

So in a way,
For me, I have had my obstacles, but did not manage them well, and therefore, have not made any leadership positions as of yet: my Junior year. I guess its all just how things worked out for me. There is no point to dwelling on the past, but there is a point to use it as an evaluation tool for how you think you act, and how you REALLY act. I am wiser, and more mature, so from my point of view, age, experience, and self-evaluation has acted as a filter to get rid of the bad behavior. I am devoted now, to living in the present, and looking to the future to see what I can improve on before the future becomes the present.
05-06: RAIN-Guinestera
Estancia
Nimrod from Enigma Variations: IV
Pampeana

06-07: Appalachian Springs (Aaron Copland)
opnr---^^
Appalachian Echoes
Finale

07-08: INSPIRE!! (Metheny)
Minuano 6/8
Under the Sun
Rainforest

thatonehornguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by thatonehornguy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:08 am

In my band program, we have one basic rule that governs everything that we do: Be a good person. As long as you make the right decisions, you're good to go. Obviously, you have to have some talent in the band program, but you don't have to be the stellar band god of the century (that's for the drum major). Haha, just kidding...but yea, all anyone needs to be a good leader is to just be a good person, and your peers will see that and follow it. :D
What's the definition of perfect pitch?

The ability to throw a flute into a toilet without hitting the rim

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:57 pm

I think if the section leader first of all has to be good. Otherwise they will never have the respect necessary to lead

The the seciton leader must be able to communicate with the director in order to gain a correct intrpretation of the style of the music.

After that comes the ability to asses a section's weakness and correct them. In a competitive unit compassion comes AFTER the improvement

Lastly the section leader ought be charismatic and loving. Admittedly I take this aspect for granted, since coming from a band of 50 I know everyone and get along with everyone.....even as freshman I knew everyone by the end of bandcamp so I may be undervaluing it.

Just out of curiosity do you think that when running a sectional a section leader should play with the section or simply listen and keep time? or do both?

I tend to think that they need to play with the section so everyone hears whats right. Its kinda like how everyone listens to 1st trpt in a jazz band for style except in marching its listening to your section leader who better know whats right.
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park

thatonehornguy
New Recruit
New Recruit

Post by thatonehornguy » Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:26 am

[quote="BGRtumpet"]
Just out of curiosity do you think that when running a sectional a section leader should play with the section or simply listen and keep time? or do both?

I tend to think that they need to play with the section so everyone hears whats right. Its kinda like how everyone listens to 1st trpt in a jazz band for style except in marching its listening to your section leader who better know whats right.[/quote]

Well, when I have a sectional, I never play with my section, simply because playing along with them just makes my job a little harder. When I'm playing, it's harder for the younger kids to keep time since no one is conducting. It's also harder for me to hear all of the little mistakes my section is making, which means it'll be harder to fix them. At the same time, if I hear a mistake during a run-through, I can just circle the portion without having to stop conducting.

Now, if there is a passage that the section is having trouble on, I'll stop conducting and play it a few times so that they can get it into their head. Then we'll take the passage slowly, and work our way up.

A problem that could occur is that one annoying kid in your section saying "Hey, why don't you have to play?" Lucky for me, it was a freshman, so I simply told him that he could run rehearsal while playing and see if he could get anything done. Nobody complains about that anymore :D
What's the definition of perfect pitch?

The ability to throw a flute into a toilet without hitting the rim

BGRtumpet
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BGRtumpet » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:09 pm

It may good note that wilcox has 6 trumpets, so one missing also scews balance between parts....
Wilcox Black and Gold Regime (NCBA)

Trumpet--Benge CG

'05 Mask of Zorro
'06 Rhapsody (in blue)
'07 "Symphony 99" (music from Beethoven's 9th and Dvořák 's 9th)
'08 Jurassic Park